'Thank You' messages for LibriVox readers - continued

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for gmcmillan007 (Graham McMillan) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
https://librivox.org/the-economic-consequences-of-the-peace-by-john-maynard-keynes/

The Economic Consequences of the Peace by John Maynard KEYNES (1883 - 1946)

Narrated by Graham McMillan.

A superb reading, clear, well paced, good intonation, just superb, thank you.

Dennis

All of Graham's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for thistlechick (Betsie Bush) from our 'Thank a reader' feature regarding her recording of To Build a Fire:
Dear Betsie,

I have listened to your recording literally dozens of times over the past 5 or 10 years. I've re-listened to a few other stories and novels (Daisy Miller and Dracula, e.g.), but your TBAF is the only one that I return to again and again. The story is perfect and so is your reading, right from the opening setting of atmosphere when you announce that you're reading from some lake in Michigan. I picture you in a cabin in the middle of nowhere and I have deliberately not looked up the actual lake, in case my image is wrong.

I'm not sure why I like your reading so much. One thing is that your voice is friendly and inviting, but also suitably serious. After all, the guy has just a few hours left to live when the story opens. My favorite moment in your reading is "And then, it happened", where you convey how his fate is sealed, but without being overly dramatic about it. I.e., you could have read it like, "And then......(long dramatic pause).... it happened", or something corny and distracting like that. I'm not a critic, I can't explain this well. Just suffice it to say that I love your recording of this story. THANKS!!!!

-- Michael, from Boston

All of Betsie's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
gmcmillan007

Post by gmcmillan007 »

Thanks so much Dennis! I appreciate that.

Sincerely,
Graham
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for RuthieG (Ruth Golding) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Thank you so much Ruth Golding for your wonderful reading - performance - of the Adventures. My wife and I listen to you every night. We are grounded in California awaiting a flight back to Belgium where we live and our nightly listening is a delight!

Regards,
John and Ellen
Bruges, Belgium

and...
Hello,

https://librivox.org/wuthering-heights-by-emily-bronte-2/
I would like to thank Ruth Golding for her wonderful recording of Wuthering Heights.
It is so well done, especially the voices! I didn't think one person could act so many characters. I lived the book rather than listened to it...

Thank you very much,
Tobie

All of Ruth's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for ezwa (Ezwa) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Bonjour,

Un grand merci à Ezwa dont l'excellente lecture m'a accompagnée pendant plusieurs heures de jogging ces derniers jours. J'ai beaucoup aimé votre diction et vos intonations.
Je vais de ce pas chercher un autre livre lu par vos soins !

Cdt et encore merci,

Nicolas

All of Ezwa's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for MamaGeek (Celine Major) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Re: " The mysteries of Paris" read by Mrs. Celine Major

Dear madam; this is to thank you for the wonderful and delightful reading of "The mysteries of Paris". I have greatly enjoyed your tone of voice, intonation, cadence and animated reading of this literature masterpiece. It seems like every character becomes alive through your voice and I an almost see them in front of me, some of the situations have brought [hard to believe] tears to my eyes, especially the tale and plight of the lapidary jeweler.

It brings back memories of the long gone radio-theaters that I used to listen a few decades ago when imagination substituted TV; and computers and celular telephones where only premonitory literary materials for Jules Verne, Asimov or Bradbury.

Thank you for making my hours more pleasant, instructive and wiser.

I wish you the best under the protection of whatever deity you adhere to... or not.

Respectfully,..

All of Celine's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for JachinandBoaz (Daniel Davison) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Greetings,

I’d like to thank the reader Daniel Davison for reading The Were-wolf by Frederick Marryat catalogued in the recent Short Ghost and Horror Collection 038 (https://librivox.org/short-ghost-and-horror-collection-038/). I enjoyed it very much! His pace and dramatic intonations kept me on the edge of my seat as I listened. Great work! I can’t wait to hear more from this reader.

Sincerely,

Winston

All of Daniel's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for cadam10e (Cheryl Adam) from our 'Thank a reader' feature regarding her recording of Hoofbeats on the Turnpike:
What an amazing reader for the Penny Parker mysteries. She inspires me to be a reader myself.
Thank you for an excellent reader’s theatre performance! I will enjoy these read books with future generations.

All of Cheryl's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for CliveCatterall (Clive Catterall) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I would like to express my thanks to Clive Catterall for his readings of
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's 'Sir Nigel' and 'The White Company'. These
rattling good yarns and his pleasant voice have kept me company for many
a mile as I walk in our beautiful spring beechwoods listening to my MP3
player - just what one needs during these difficult times of Covid-19
and social distancing.

David

All of Clive's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for kayray (Kara Shallenberg) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Dear Kara…

I have only just discovered librivox, and the very first book I listened to was your reading of Alice in Wonderland. Alice is my very favorite book from my childhood, and I tried A LOT of versions. Then, I found you. I have now listened to Alice at the end of long stressful days over 10 times, and I really wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your skill.

I finally figured out how to find a list of what you had read on my ipod…and I am currently listening to Heidi. I plan to go through all your readings…but Alice will always be my favorite go to.

Thank you. You have made my life happier, and calmer, and I am so grateful to have found you!

I would love to know what your favorite book is that you have recorded!

I hope you are well and safe…thank you again,

Alexis

All of Kara's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for gloriana (Elizabeth Klett) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Ms. Klett,

I am a Brazilian woman of 52 years old who always loved the books by Charlotte Brontë and Jane Austen.
When I discovered Librivox they were my first listenings, and since then I’ve been meaning to thank you for your lovely readings. Your sweet voice, the perfect balance of pace and dramatic interpretation enables us to transport ourselves into the romance / novel.
I would cite as my favorite “Jane Eyre”, by Brontë. It was long since I had read it (I always read in English) and it was a joy revisiting it, and after that revisiting my favorite "scenes" over and over as I went to bed.
Thank you again for being part of the volunteers team of Librivox, such a wonderful enterprise.

Best wishes,
Maria Elisa

All of Elizabeth's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for THynes (Tadhg) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Mr. Hynes,

I’ve listened to a handful of renderings by you, and thank you for all of them. But by favorite was “Far from the madding crowd”, by Thomas Hardy.
As it happens to most of us, it was through the movies that I first knew of Thomas Hardy - not this recent version, but the strange and wonderful one from 1967, by John Schlesinger, with Julie Christie, Peter Finch, Alan Bates and Terence Stamp.
I am from Brazil (São Paulo, SP) and was born in 1968, my mother loved the cinema and so do I, particularly the good old stuff.

Your rendering of the book blends perfectly with the work of art - it is personal, it is dramatic… - in such a way that the reader is transported. Just like with movies, good reading is another artistic expression of good literature.

Thank you so much for being a Librivox volunteer - such a wonderful enterprise!

Best wishes,
Maria Elisa

P.S. It’s long since I intended to thank not only you but other readers. This sad and strange times we’re living worldwide at least gave us the time to fulfill many postponed wishes

All of Tadhg's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for ExEmGe (Andy Minter) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Librivox Volunteers,

I know that sadly Mr. Minter passed away in 2017. I first started listening to Librivox before that, and Andy Minter was one of my favorite readers, particularly in the Barsetshire Series by Anthony Trollope.
What saddened me the most in my delaying for so long this message was the lost opportunity of thanking him personally, but I decided to write this message anyway for his colleagues at Librivox. Perhaps this message coud also reach his family?
His wonderful accent and his personal interpretation will be forever in my memory, intertwined with the feeling those works inspired in me - they are such a picture of the word of that time, aren’t they?

I would also like to thank all of you at Librivox for your wonderful gift to persons all over the word. If I had any reading tallent I would surely volunteer. I listen to works mostly in English, but also the few available in Portuguese (I am Brazilian) and in French.

Yours Thankfully,
Maria Elisa

All of Andy's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Hokuspokus (Hokuspokus) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hallo,

Ich habe heute während der Arbeit Sarrasine gehört und wollte mich nur schnell bedanken. Toll gelesen. Wenn man dazu verdammt ist über längere Zeit eintönige Tätigkeiten zu verrichten so ist so ein Hörbuch ein echter Lichtblick ;-). Nochmals Vielen Dank und weiter so!

David.

All of Hokuspokus' recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for cavaet (Cavaet) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
That was a very nice rendition of a Mother’s song, I enjoyed it,

All of Cavaet's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!