'Thank You' messages for LibriVox readers - continued

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for simonevers (Simon Evers) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Simon:

I just finished listening to Fraternity and wanted to thank you for recording this and other novels by Galsworthy. He's one of my favourite writers, and your sensitive readings enhance my enjoyment of his work. Your versions of Bennett and Trollope are also excellent.

Anne
and...
I am grateful to all those who volunteer their time and talent to read for Librivox. However there is no getting away from the fact that the quality is uneven. I have listened to many Librivox recordings, and have found that the narration is usually more important than the content for enjoying the work.
In the case of "The Nebuly Coat", an excellent book is paired with faultless reading. It was a real treat for the listener.
Thank you Simon.

All of Simon's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Hamlet (Hamlet) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Thank you for the excellent presentations you have contributed to Librivox. I listen to The Pickwick Papers often. And I get such a kick in Pickwick when you stay in character while ending a chapter. Brilliant!!! I especially enjoy your characterization of Sam Weller, but all of the characterizations are fabulous. I listened to American Notes, version 3; again great! And to Every Man in His Humour, which made me laugh out loud. Favorite part was when your character expounded over the attributes of an herb that left all others in the dust. Another fabulous line (not one of yours) was the whining fellow who asked, "Have you a stool on which to be melancholy?" (I paraphrase.) I am picking out another one of yours right now and it is hard to choose.

I use audio books for sheer enjoyment but also as a mental health aid. They have helped me through depression, anxiety and grief. You bring the author's characters to life and transport me into the book. I am carried out of my "humours". It is a restorative like no other. You have helped me immensely. Thank you from the bottom of my soul.

PJ

All of Hamlet's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for tux753 (Tux) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Estimado Señor:

Quiero agradecerle entrañablemente por el tremendo regalo que me ha hecho de permitirme gozar las novelas de los Episodios Nacionales de Benito Pérez Galdós. Antes de escuchar la novela “Trafalgar” yo nunca había leído ningún libro de Pérez Galdós y, de hecho, muy poco sabía de la historia de España del siglo 19. Usted no solamente hizo la narración de esa novela, sino también todas las novelas de la primera serie de Episodios Nacionales. Mis quehaceres y mis trabajos no me permiten dedicarle mucho tiempo a la lectura, pero la realidad es que yo no hubiera gozado mi propia lectura como he gozado su narración. Tiene usted talento y ciencia para lo que hace. Le felicito y le agradezco por un regalo que atesoraré siempre.

Atentamente,

David
and...
Querido Tux,

Muchas gracias por su excelente lectura de "Los Trabajos" de Miguel Cervantes y Saavedra. Fue un gran deleite personal conocer esta obra a traves de su voz y remontarse al costumbrismo y visión de la vida del siglo XVII. Esta ficción cervantina revela una infinidad de detalles del conocimiento y valores de la época.

Ojalá pudiera tambien leer y producir El Quijote para Librivox, puesto que solo existe una producción colectiva y no es lo mismo que oir su narración.

En buena hora!

Ivonne

All of Tux's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for beeber (Bruce Pirie) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
We would like to thank Bruce Pirie for his narration of The Brothers Karamazov! It is such a pleasure to hear his voice, he is truly talented at deepening the work’s richness of characters, subject matter, and epic story.

We are truly grateful that someone like Bruce would be willing to give his time and expertise for such an endeavor. Bless you Bruce!

Warm regards,

Sean & Gabi
and...
Thanks a million for the excellent narration / reading of the Balzac novels.

I'll make sure to check out your other readings.

Stay safe and test negative ; )

Med venlig hilsen

Thomas
and...
I am just coming to an end of Balzac's Lost Illusions read by Bruce Pirie. Very well read indeed, extremely clear recording, I really enjoyed listening to him and felt that he pitched the drama just right. Please thank Bruce on my behalf and thankyou Librivox.

best regards,

John
All of Bruce's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for bgdavid (David Clarke) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
You made The Count of Monte Cristo come alive between my ears. What a wonderful talent you have, Mr. Clarke. I am nearing the end of the novel, but I never want to finish. You and the author have kept me company many dark, lonely early-morning hours, and somehow you shine in my mind and improve my mood every day after. Thank you and Bless You, good sir!
and...
Dear Mr. Clarke,

I've a bone to pick with you in a manner of speaking Mr. Clarke. I
listen to audio books at bedtime in order to fall asleep. But your
reading of Alexander Dumas epic novel is so engaging and expressive, the
voices and accents so perfectly executed and the timing and delivery so
flawless that it is keeping me awake! Fortunately I only bring one
chapter at a time to bed or I'd be up all night.

Thank you for such a terrific rendition, it is a real gift and blessing
in these isolating and disquieting times. That noble spirit, the Count
of Monte Cristo will always be represented by your vocal impression in
my mind.

Larry
Salt Spring Island
British Columbia Canada
All of David's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for GordMackenzie (Gordon Mackenzie) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
One of my favourites is HD Thoreaus Walden read by Gordon McKenzie, his reading makes me think its HD himself sharing his thoughts.

A big thanks to Gordon.
and...
A “thank you” to the reader Gord Mackenzie .

There is a slight, almost Canadian accent in your reading, it’s lovely. Thank you for the engaging, articulate and effortless way you read Sabatini’s work.

Well done

David Kauffman

Washingtion State

All of Gordon's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for david wales (David Wales) from our 'Thank a reader' feature regarding his recording of Days with the Great Composers:
In preparation for an upcoming concert featuring music by shocker I listen to the most clear and eloquent voice reading this chapter read by David Wales. Thank you.

All of David's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for KevinJohnson (Kevin Johnson) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Fantastic reading of "Protagoras" by Kevin Johnson! Perfect pace, clear enunciation, subtle use of the voice for characterization of the various speakers and for the drama of the dialogue. Excellent reading of Jowett's introduction. I will look for more of his readings of Plato's dialogues.

Richard
Takoma Park, Maryland

All of Kevin's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Keratak (Keith Salis) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hello Mr. Salis,

I wanted to thank for reading the Boy Scout books by Thornton Burgess. My boys are 8 and 6 and are listening to Wood Craft Camp and Swift River nonstop!

We are also looking forward to The Boy Scouts on Lost Trail :)

Thanks!

-David

All of Keith's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for mrwemmick (Peter John Keebler) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Peter

Thank you very much for reading all five of the Dr Nikola novels. I enjoyed them SO much!! And I love the way you read. Are you an actor? You do a wonderful reading. Thank you again.

Sincerely

Deborah

All of Peter's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for blightersrock (Tony Foster) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Mr. Foster:
Words are inadequate to express my “reading” pleasure while listening to your masterful reading of Elizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell’s MARY BARTON. You have done justice to this literary treasure. I will be “reading” this one over and over. I am indebted to you, Sir!

https://librivox.org/mary-barton-by-elizabeth-cleghorn-gaskell/

I am an 82-year-old widow delighted to discover LIBRIVOX - and now using it daily.

All of Tony's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Peter Why (Peter Yearsley) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Peter Yearsley,

Many thanks for clear, unaffected, and thoroughly enjoyable readings of The Sadhana and Alice in Wonderland. The Alice is wonderful and equal, if not better, than Gielgud’s.

I almost look forward to insomnia now.

David
and...
Dear Peter Yearsley,

Thank you and all the readers of The Railway Children. It is superbly done and I thoroughly enjoyed it, so much so, that I listened to it a second time soon after the first - it was even better.

Cheers, Stephen
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for gypsygirl (Karen Savage) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Thank you Karen for your lovely reading,
From Sardinia (Italy)
Kind regards
Bianca
and...
Dear Ms Karen,

I truly appreciate all your efforts in your volunteering for the Anne of Green Gables series at LibriVox. Your way of reading has made the story alive and made the ‘imagination’ effortless for the listener. I adore it in your voice as I think it suits just Right for Anne’s series. So thanks again for all your hard work and wishing you the best of luck.

Best Regards.

Sanuri

PS: If it's convenient, please make 'Anne of Windypoplars' and 'Anne of Ingleside' a public domain. I'm longing for it.
and...
Hello, Ms. Savage. I am writing simply to thank you for the wonderful readings you have done with the Anne of Green Gables books. (You may have done others, but those are the only ones to which I have listened.)

Your readings are marvelous; you do make the characters come alive, though already they are alive in these books. Yet you are so very skillful in delineating the characters by how they speak, how they respond, the differences in voice tone. Simply wonderful!

I have commended your readings to friends who have liked the books. I am also involved in teaching five different children in China how to write better in English, and though Librivox is blocked there, I have also commended the Anne books to one of my students, for the lushness of the language, and the richness of the characters. Anne is one of a trio of wonderful young female characters, at least in my reading experience: Anne, Scout Finch, and Ántonia Shimerda.

I wish you and your family all the very best, Ms. Savage. And, since I am writing on this most glorious of days, HAPPY EASTER!!!!

Respectfully and sincerely,
Kevin
Albany, CA

All of Karen's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Vandermast (Jason Mills) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I really enjoyed your version of H.G. Wells' "The Door In The Wall" (https://librivox.org/short-story-collection-vol-044/). A friend of mine and I have been reading (or listening to) classic speculation fiction stories and then discussing them and being able to listen to an audio version really helps me. Thank you!

All of Jason's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Dedalus (Peter Bobbe) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
After many years I'm listening again to Peter Bobbe reading Portrait of the Artist. It is such a powerful beautifully written book and the reading is beyond outstanding.
I am only up to chapter 2 this time round but feel so grateful and nourished by this reading.
Please pass on my deep thanks to Peter. I imagine he has had many responses over the years and I also imagine behind those are so many more that thought to write but did not.
I will look through and listen to more simply because he is the reader.
'Never underestimate the power of your service to others'
In deep gratitude and wishes for your health and wellbeing

Ann

Audio, video, disco!