'Thank You' messages for LibriVox readers - continued

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for earthcalling (David Barnes) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Top of the day to you David,

I've been listening to your recording of The Imitation of Christ for the past few weeks. Phenomenal vocal work. I found that your voice matched the meditative pace of the text remarkably well.

Thank you very much.

All of David's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for boojumuk (Kevin Green) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

The Worst Journey in the World by Apsley Cherry-Garrard
Read by Kevin Green.
https://librivox.org/the-worst-journey-in-the-world-vol-2-by-apsley-cherry-garrard/

Thank you for this reading,a great book beautifully read,the use of different voices brought life to the men and emotion to the reading.
A real pleasure to listen to.
Thanks again,
Mick.

All of Kevin's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
RajVO

Post by RajVO »

icequeen wrote: December 14th, 2015, 10:19 pm Praise received for Swapna (Swapna) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

thanks for making telugu audio book available.
It will be great to hear more audio books in telugu language

thanks again

Best Regards | Viele Grüße

AKARSH

All of Swapna's recordings!
Are there any more Telugu books completed or in progress? :!:
My Project Catalog
Cheers, Raj.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

RajVO wrote: March 5th, 2018, 10:45 pm
icequeen wrote: December 14th, 2015, 10:19 pm Praise received for Swapna (Swapna) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

thanks for making telugu audio book available.
It will be great to hear more audio books in telugu language

thanks again

Best Regards | Viele Grüße

AKARSH

All of Swapna's recordings!
Are there any more Telugu books completed or in progress? :!:

Unfortunately, this is the only book we have in our catalog in Telugu, and nothing in progress. There are two obstacles standing in the way of more in this language. One is copy right, the book has to be PD in the US. That means the book needs to be published before 1922. The other obstacle is the number of readers who speak Telugu, this reader was the only one who stepped forward and recorded for us. If you can speak the language, you are more than welcome to read a Telugu work that was published before 1922! We would LOVE to have more in the catalog!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
RajVO

Post by RajVO »

Unfortunately, this is the only book we have in our catalog in Telugu, and nothing in progress. There are two obstacles standing in the way of more in this language. One is copy right, the book has to be PD in the US. That means the book needs to be published before 1922. The other obstacle is the number of readers who speak Telugu, this reader was the only one who stepped forward and recorded for us. If you can speak the language, you are more than welcome to read a Telugu work that was published before 1922! We would LOVE to have more in the catalog!
Thanks for the update.
Yes. Finding or establishing that a book is published before 1922 is a bit difficult.
But there are more than 70 mn people who speak Telugu.
If we have more books in librivox, it may attract more readers / listeners.
Kinda chicken & egg problem. :D
Anyway, I'll try to find suitable books for us.
Can the reader himself/herself PL his/her work, as an exception?
Thanks, Raj.
My Project Catalog
Cheers, Raj.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

There's an article on Telugu literature on Wikipedia which might help: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telugu_literature#Modern_or_Adhunika_Sahityam

... for example ...
Kandukuri Veerasalingam (1848-1919)
"He wrote about 100 books between 1869 and 1919 and introduced the essay, biography, autobiography and the novel into Telugu literature[27] His Satyavati Charitam was the first social novel in Telugu.[citation needed] He wrote Rajashekhara Charitamu inspired by Oliver Goldsmith’s The Vicar of Wakefied. To him literature was an instrument to fight social evils."

There are some works under his name on archive.org, but I can't tell whether they are written by him or are about him: https://archive.org/search.php?query=Kandukuri%20Veeresalingam

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
RajVO

Post by RajVO »

Good find, Peter!
I'll take a deeper look at that.
My Project Catalog
Cheers, Raj.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

RajVO wrote: March 6th, 2018, 10:55 am
Thanks, Raj.

That is a really good question! I think we have done that in the past with languages that are 'new to us', but having someone else follow the text while listening is a good way to at least have another set of ears involved. Or to have someone check the settings to make sure they are correct. Neither situation is ideal, it would be better to have a native speaker as a DPL for the project, but we would have do what we can. I will have to look into this one.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
RajVO

Post by RajVO »

icequeen wrote: March 7th, 2018, 11:07 am
RajVO wrote: March 6th, 2018, 10:55 am
Thanks, Raj.

That is a really good question! I think we have done that in the past with languages that are 'new to us', but having someone else follow the text while listening is a good way to at least have another set of ears involved. Or to have someone check the settings to make sure they are correct. Neither situation is ideal, it would be better to have a native speaker as a DPL for the project, but we would have do what we can. I will have to look into this one.
You are right, Ann!
It's definitely not ideal, but only an exception.
Still, the technical part can be well reviewed by a PL, even if the intricacies / idiosyncrasies of the language are not known.
Btw, in principle, in LV copy right is crucial, and then tech standards. Language and pronunciation are kinda secondary.
And, obviously we would only attempt decent and socially useful content/literature.
These are my initial thoughts, and sure you may look into it deeper from admin perspective. :)
My Project Catalog
Cheers, Raj.
schrm

Post by schrm »

an ClaudiaSterngucker

ich höre gerade den schwarzen magier
https://librivox.org/das-haus-des-schwarzen-magiers-by-edward-bulwer-lytton/

und möchte dir ausdrücklich danke sagen für deine lesungen!
selten so natürlich gesprochenes gehört, bei durchaus etwas umständlicherer, antiquierter sprache...
und wirklich, wirklich gut, du baust die athmosphäre richtig auf und steigerst die spannung und den eindruck den man von den handelnden bekommt.
ich las irgendwo im forum, dass du dir sorgen machst um deinen akzent: dieses buch würde sogar verlieren, wenn man es in astreinem, modernem fernseh-hochdeutsch lesen würde.
ich bin mir zumindest sicher 

vielen dank für dieses spannende buch!

lG
schrm
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
redaer

Post by redaer »

History of the Reformation in the Sixteenth Century, Volume 1

https://librivox.org/history-of-the-reformation-in-the-sixteenth-century-volume-1-by-jean-henri-merle-daubigne/

Thank you very much for the excellent reading of "History of the Reformation in the Sixteenth Century, Volume 1", Chris; an interesting book.
I hope you will complete Volume 2.

Kind regards

PM sent to ChrisMS
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for pnagami (Pamela Nagami) from our 'Thank a reader' feature regarding her recording of Louis Pasteur:

What a delight and gem is this book about a very ‘’special’’ person who dedicated his life for the benefit of others and certainly did not wane under the fame.

Many thanks for selecting and reading this book!

Kindest regards

Karin
netherlands

All of Pamela's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for queenk8 (Kate Follis) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Just discovered your splendid reading in Dodo’s daughter ( E.F.Benson - one of my big favorite writer) .
Now went to your page and already downloading other books read by you . I prefer the solo reading ,still i’ll listen the others .
And , yes , even i am 65 , I love children books also .
Thank you so much for your admirable reading !
Valentina

All of Kate's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Thank you, Ann!

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for gypsygirl (Karen Savage) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Karen Savage, thank you so much for filling many quite hours at work and home. You are my favorite reader and so easy to listen to. I have listen to all your Jane Austin books and at least ten others from various authors. You are engaging, dramatic, dignified and creative. I love your accent and your pace. Thank you for spending so much time for random strangers like me. You make my monotonous job and house cleaning enjoyable and exciting. You are truly a life saver.
and...

Hi,

I just wanted to say a massive thank you to Karen Savage for her wonderful reading of ‘Pride and Prejudice’. I know it may have been published a while ago but as one of my favourite books it is always fantastic to hear a new recording of it. Karen’s interpretation and characterisation are fantastic. She reads with such a beautiful pace which allows the listener to be drawn into the story.

I have already listened to the audiobook a number of times and I’m sure I will listen on many more occasions! So thank you again Karen for all the hard work you have put into this project.

I wish you all the best,

Emilia
and...

Hello,

We have just finished listening to the glorious readings of The Story of Doctor Dolittle and [/url=https://librivox.org/the-voyages-of-doctor-dolittle-by-hugh-lofting-2/]The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle[/url]. This is our first use of Librivox as a family, and it has turned the lunchtime washing up into a favourite part of the homeschooling day!

Many thanks for your generosity and skill!

Hannah and Mabel

All of Karen's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!