'Thank You' messages for LibriVox readers - continued

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

greek101 wrote: December 13th, 2019, 9:33 am I'm posting a thank you note here because I'm newly registered and cannot send PMs yet.

I wanted to thank Rachel Mayes for her reading of Edgar Allan Poe Preface and dedication note. Your voice and 'way of speaking' (there should be a more proper/technical term for that) are very pleasant to hear. I wish you could read some poems too, by Poe or anyone else.
That's great, Greek101! However, please don't listen to projects that aren't cataloged yet. Pleasure listening is done when they're cataloged; listening while projects are in progress is for work/proof-listening purposes. ;)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for THynes (Tadhg) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hello, I wanted to thank whoever read Silas Marner aloud onto an audiobook.

I would like to point out just how wonderfully he read it, because usually I have a hard time understanding audiobook readers, but he spoke wonderfully. And his voice was perfect for the story. Once I have been listening to an audiobook for a while, I often think in the way the reader spoke, and now I have this man’s voice instead of my own whenever I think. I’m very grateful to Librivox and it’s readers, through it is the only way I can read school books.

Thank you,
Grace

and...
Hello there,

I'm a painter, and I rely on audiobooks and podcasts to keep me company while I work.

Tadhg's reading of Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy (https://librivox.org/jude-the-obscure-by-thomas-hardy-2/) was so touching and skilful. I couldn't have asked for a better storyteller, although I did have to stop the recording and take a while to collect myself at the saddest part.

I'm always trying to get my friends to read The Ragged-Trousered Philanthropists by Robert Tressell, so I'm delighted to see Tadhg has narrated that too. I'll be sure to pass on the LibrVox link.

I look forward to listening to more of Tadhg's recordings, and I wish all at LibriVox the very best.

Kindest regards,

Jennifer

All of Tadhg's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for ezwa (Ezwa) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Please convey my hartfelt gratitude to Ezwa for the great reading of " les liasions dangereuses", which she enlightens with her precision and voice acting. It has become the highlight of my everyday commute.

kindly,
Louis

All of Ezwa's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for ChrisMS (Christopher Smith) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Mr. Smith,

In gratitude may I extend in hopes that you will receive from Father, His abundance, into you being!

With sincere thanks for recording the unveiling of the Word of God, given to His follower, to Andrew Murray.

Very truly yours,

John

All of Christopher's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Margaret (Margaret Espaillat) from our 'Thank a reader' feature regarding her recording of Middlemarch:
Thank you for so many hours of delightful listening.
Elizabeth

All of Margaret's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for rkeiper (Robert Keiper) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I would like to thank Robert Keiper for his reading of The Valley of Decision by Edith Wharton. It's one of the best books I've read this year, and it's one I'll be thinking about for a long time. My library doesn't have it, so it wouldn't have gotten onto my radar for a long time if I hadn't seen it on LibriVox. I enjoyed Mr. Keiper's expressive reading and I appreciate the work he put into recording it. Thank you!

Sarah

All of Robert's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
greek101

Post by greek101 »

TriciaG wrote: December 13th, 2019, 10:32 am
greek101 wrote: December 13th, 2019, 9:33 am I'm posting a thank you note here because I'm newly registered and cannot send PMs yet.

I wanted to thank Rachel Mayes for her reading of Edgar Allan Poe Preface and dedication note. Your voice and 'way of speaking' (there should be a more proper/technical term for that) are very pleasant to hear. I wish you could read some poems too, by Poe or anyone else.
That's great, Greek101! However, please don't listen to projects that aren't cataloged yet. Pleasure listening is done when they're cataloged; listening while projects are in progress is for work/proof-listening purposes. ;)
Hi Tricia, I didn't know that, so if I understand correctly, the completed works are actually hosted on archive.org, while WIPs are on librivox own servers, which are limited and could get overloaded.

I wanted to add another thank you note, to Ryan for his reading of Ozymandias (this one is in the catalogue ;)), I think it's a great rendition, dry and effective.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for david wales (David Wales) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
As a retired pharmacist in a skilled care nursing facility, I can truly relate to and appreciate the life and efforts of Dr. Joseph Rogers. It's ironic that I saw some of the same issues of resistance to change in my practice in the US as recently as the 1970s and '80s. My duties as Director of Pharmacy Services for 18 years put me in a similar position of promoting changes for the better and meeting with resistance from the nursing staff and some of the physicians who were caring for our 400 patients (many of whom were indigent).

Here is just one example of the positive effects that a determined health care professional can have on an entire body of patients. I was successful in reducing the amount of sleeping medications, which had been routinely administered at 9PM, by 75%. This resulted in greatly reducing the number of falls and increasing the mental alertness of those patients considerably.

Having listened to the entire "Reminiscences..." reading, I felt like I knew Dr. Rogers and would have loved to work with him personally. Thank you for bringing this courageous man's efforts to the world of Librivox, Mr. Wales.

Very sincerely,

Susan, Pharmacist (Retired)
Orlando, FL

All of David's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praises received for gypsygirl (Karen Savage) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
My wife and I listened to Karen Savage reading Pride and Prejudice by
Jane Austen on a recent car trip and she did an amazing job reading the
story and bringing the characters to life. I hope she's also a
professional actress because she has the skill and talent for it.

All of Karen's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for johng (John Greenman) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Mr. Greenman,

My first encounter with your librivox delivery was with Huck Finn. When I heard you on Connecticut Yankee, it was simply a delight. Even the Twain parody of Sherlock Holmes, a rather slow story line, was enhanced by your clarity and characterization.

I see you have a host of titles, Twain and others, and I look forward to sharing hours with you.

Best,

Chanina

All of John's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for gloriana (Elizabeth Klett) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hello,
I wish to express my gratitude to Elizabeth Klett for her captivating and amazing reading of "The age of innocence".
I am a woman of (almost) fifty years old and I am from Italy so please forgive my "bad english" but I really wanted to thank.
Every day I have to spend one or even two hours driving and that's why I decided to listening to some audiobook. At the moment I am studying for a C2-Cambridge exam so I thought that listen to some english book could have been helpful.
Now I am happy to spend my time driving, and I can't wait to listen to a new chapter. Of course, being italian, I have to listen to every chapter two or even three times to understand it all. The delicate voice of Elizabeth Klett, and her ability to change her tone according to the characters and situations are so engaging, sometime even touching, that I'm never tired of listening, even though I know the plot of the book.
I listen and I forget about real life. I can see their faces, their expressions, and I can feel what they feel.
I was looking for an interesting way to improve my english but I found much more. Finally, there are some lines in italian that she manage to read so nicely.
I wish I could have such a wonderful voice! She's very talented and her reading is a gift for those who listen.
With gratitude, yours sincerely
Nunzia
and...
Thank you for your excellent recordings of Northanger Abbey, Sense and Sensibility, Emma, and The Turn of the Screw! I am a second year English major who had way too many assigned readings this semester, and your LibriVox recordings saved me week after week. I will be forever grateful!

A million thanks,
Izzy
All of Elizabeth's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Lynne_C (Lynne Carroll) from our 'Thank a reader' feature regarding her recording of Letters of a Woman Homesteader:
Many thanks to Lynne Carroll for her wonderful narration of the above mentioned book. It was an absolute pleasure to listen to! Happy holidays to all. X

Kind regards

Liz

All of Lynne's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for RuthieG (Ruth Golding) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hello,
Mere words fail to express how immensely I enjoyed your reading of, "The Haunted Man and the Ghost's Bargain" by Charles Dickens. I could only hope that you have, or will record, Nicholas Nickleby, Little Dorrit, Oliver Twist, and David Copperfield, A Christmas Carol the Chimes, the Battle of life, and the other Christmas Story about the cricket and the kettle, I haven't forgotten the title of that story, if those books are in the public domain. You bring the writings of Dickens to life in a way of no other reader I have ever heard. In any case, I would like a list of everything you have recorded for LibriVox.

Thank you,
David

All of Ruth's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for asterix (asterix) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Asterix,

Thank you for your excellent reading of Hiram Bingham's memoir. I found his information and observations fascinating, though I know very little about flying. Consequently, some of the details went over my head.

I looked up Hiram III in Wikipedia, and see that his 7 sons were 2-15 when he entered the war. I found it odd that he didn't mention his family at all in this memoir, though he wrote about the importance of the men getting letters and packages from home.

We knew two of the sons, Mitch and Brewster, and their wives, Hilda and Frannie, because Brewster (Bruce) was a family friend of my mother-in-law's family (all missionaries, as was Hiram II). We stopped by the family "camp" in CT one day, when Bruce and Frannie were vacationing there. Hiram III had built a small playing court, fenced and with a fence roof, in the yard, so that one person (or two?) could play a variety of games without loosing the ball. The court could be installed in a small yard or on a roof. I've seen something similar sold today. In the house, we stood around the piano, played by Frannie, singing hymns.

Mitch and Hilda owned a lovely house overlooking the Getty Villa in Pacific Palisades. They would invite us up for tea and we once housesat for them. They had a beloved cat, eventually eaten by a coyote.

Mitch said that his dad was a difficult man to live with. He decided on a profession for each son, and sometimes they didn't want to follow that path. Mitch was supposed to run the family farm, hated farming, but eventually got to be an artist and author.

From your reading, I now know a lot more about WW I and early aviation. I've looked up your other books, and will now try the "Recollections of the Civil War."

Pardon my rambling. I really enjoyed your narration.

--Mollie
Los Angeles

All of asterix's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for TND1 (TND) from our 'Thank a reader' feature regarding his recording of The Confessions of a Poacher:
Dear TND,

Thank you for your choosing this book to read! Every chapter was fascinating. I now need to look up the difference between a rabbit and a hare. I really wish that the book had been longer, or that the poacher had talked about his family life. I kept wondering what his family (wife? children?) did when he spent the 9 months in jail. I found that he was 32 when he wrote the book.

This is an excellent example of books none of us would get to hear if LibriVox was not there.

Again, many thanks.

--Mollie
Los Angeles

All of TND's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!