'Thank You' messages for LibriVox readers - continued

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for clifford (Nicholas Clifford) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hi

I see with sadness that the reader Nicholas Clifford died last year, so this message may be pointless, but perhaps it might be possible to pass it on to a loved one. I see from his obituary that he had children and grandchildren. If not, no harm done.

I’ve spent very many hours during lockdown in the company of Mr Clifford’s beautifully modulated reading voice, to the extent that I almost felt I’d come to know him. The voice suggests his intellect and sensibility but also wisdom, warmth and kindness, and I was delighted to see from the obituary that he seems really to have had these qualities. I would have loved to thank him directly. I could at least have been confident that we shared a love of Henry James.

Clearly Mr Clifford's life was distinguished for other reasons, but if he’d done nothing else these recordings would be a wonderful legacy for which I, for one, am truly grateful.

Many thanks to all involved in Librivox. It’s a fantastic resource.

All best wishes

Peter

All of Nicholas' recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for hhanover (Hollis Hanover) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Thank you for your reading of Free Air by Sinclair Lewis.
I enjoyed it and appreciate your time given to do the reading.

bob

All of Hollis' recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for lezer (Anna Simon) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear LibriVox,

After so many years I decided to read again Capital by Marx and I found the LibriVox rendering of Capital: A Critical Analysis of Capitalist Production, Volume 1. In spite of being a difficult text to read and listen to, I found Anna Simon's portions of the text to be extremely accessible to me. Her reading has been a pleasure to encounter.

Thank you very much for your nice work.

Best,
Alonso.

All of Anna's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for ChrisHughes (Chris Hughes) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Chris

Congratulations on your excellent reading of the Shakespeare sonnets. I have many recordings - Guilgud, Marlowe Society, Jennings, and many more - and yours is up there with the best. So often readers jar, adding the wrong or too much emphasis, or fail to elucidate the meaning adequately. Your recording definitely succeeds in bringing out the meaning and at the same time is pleasing to the listener’s ear. It has given me much pleasure and will continue to do so.

I find the sonnets an extraordinary source of richness which never palls and I spend more and more time enjoying them and memorising them (I am currently learning sonnet 64, When I have seen by time’s fell hand defaced). I use Vendler’s and Patterson’s books and the Arden edition. If you would like to get in contact so we could compare notes end enthuse together, my email is Removed by Admin.

Meanwhile thank you for your fine work. Whenever I have tried to read the sonnets aloud I have quickly realised that it is far beyond my ability to do so. More credit to you.

Best wishes

Neville

All of Chris' recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Kaffen (Mark F. Smith) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
This is a shout out to Mark F. Smith of North Carolina who recorded The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne.

A heartfelt thank you for helping me get through my extremely small print first edition by Airmont Publishing! I don't think I would have been able to read it, my eyes would have gotten lost on the pages.

Hoping to eventually volunteer my time to also record a book, or books. It's on my bucket list. Kind of hard right now with kids home during the day.

Sincerely an avid reader,
Nicole
and...
You did an exceptional job reading Great Expectations. Thank you
Kay
and...
I am not doing these thank you in any systematic way, so I apologize if I have already sent you a thank you. I am older and don’t hear well, and your clear crisp voice reading helps me a great deal

Thank You

Calvin
and...
It has been many years since I read Kidnapped. Mark Smith has brought it to light again. Just marvelous! Being of Scots-Irish decent, I grew up with words spoken by the characters. Thank you, thank you, thank you Mark. I have listened over and over.
Sincerely,
Lola
All of Mark's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Darvinia (Bev J Stevens) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Regarding: Caleb Williams, by William Godwin

Dear Darvinia,

Thank you for your reading of Caleb Williams, by William Godwin. I was initially nervous when my book club decided to read this book, because Godwin's writing is often a bit hard to follow for me. But I listened to your audiobook, and I really enjoyed the whole thing. The recording was very clear, and you read the narrative and the dialogue with just the right amount of expression in your voice. Though I was nervous at first to read the book, by the end I was listening to many chapters at once, because the story got very exciting. Thanks for giving me a way to enjoy this book!

All of Bev's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for MrsHand (KHand) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I have truly enjoyed listening to your exceptionally good work on these books. Your reading is very clear no matter what the pace, always infected appropriately with respect to the meaning. John Lord would be very happy with your professional treatment of his massive histories.

Jim
Springfield, Illinois

All of KHand's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Cleogirl (Cate Barratt) from our 'Thank a reader' feature reagrding her recording of An Amiable Charlatan:
Hello Cate Barratt,

I chose this title for my first listen to a book on LibriVox. I really enjoyed hearing your voice reading this very entertaining story. Thank you so much for the time you devoted to this project and I hope to find and listen to other books read by you on LibriVox.

Stay safe and take care.

Kind regards

Ann

All of Cate's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for bgdavid (David Clarke) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear David

I just wanted to thank you for your wonderful readings of Sherlock Holmes, my 2 small boys and I have been listening to your readings avidly, it has filled our lockdown with stories, intrigue, detection, deduction and observation. We try to guess who committed the crime and what the twist will be and have even been trying to apply a Sherlock Holmes approach when we go out and observe things in the real world.

Thank you for the joy and interest you have brought us. We listen to your readings in our small wooden cabin in rural Dorset UK, where we live in a 50 acre wood not far from the sea, listening to your wonderful readings is brightening our locked down winter - transporting us to the world of Sherlock Holmes.

Best wishes

Ruth, Alfred (aged 9) and Arran (Aged 6 and a half)
and...
Mr Clarke -

I'd expect that reading out loud, especially long sections of books, might be tiresome and enervating, but you seem to have an enduring quality which is not at all diminished by the complexity or vocalizations of the stories. I firmly believe that Conan Doyle wrote his stories to be read aloud and shared -- your readings are a tribute to both Sir Arthur and the mystery and legend of Sherlock Holmes and the Victorian period in England.
Thank you !

R
and...
I've just finished the LibriVox version of Alexandre Dumas' The Count of Monte Cristo, and wanted to give huge kudos to Mr. Clarke for bringing the story to life so vividly and eloquently. The tone was so measured and the characters' voices so wonderfully done (full of little individual quirks), that I spent my time in quarantine without once experiencing boredom or restlessness.

Indeed, I could listen to this audiobook version again and again with my pleasure in the tale undiminished!

Bravo!

All of David's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for beeber (Bruce Pirie) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hello Librivox,

I want to say a big thank you to Bruce Pirie for his outstanding reading of the Brothers Karamazov. It's this version: Version 3

He really brought the story to life and I felt like I was watching a play. It helped me through a difficult time in my life and I really appreciate it.

I'm also grateful to the Librivox organization as well. It's been a real blessing in my life.
Thank you,
Mary

All of Bruce's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Adrian (Adrian Praetzellis) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I really enjoyed your reading of California Coast Trails. Very impressed at your Latin pronunciations as well! Thank you!

All of Adrian's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for journeyman (Tim Quinn) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Excellent diction and such a pleasant voice. You have obviously taken the time to read the material before recording, so the narrative flows correctly. Well done and thank you!

A

All of Tim's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for joyfuljenilee (Jenilee) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hi Jenilee, thanks for your reading of Part I of Forster’s story. It was recommended as a metaphor for our times. You were my introduction to Librivox, and I’ve volunteered to read too.

Czandra

All of Jenilee's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for barbara2 (Barbara Baker) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
As a professional writer in English, I take great interest in books about the English language. I found “The English Language,” by Logan Pearsall Smith, an excellent and fascinating work of scholarship and discovery about the history of the language and the origins of many of its words. I learned quite a lot about the subject, and recommend the work highly.

Such a book naturally requires precise and accurate reading and pronunciation. Barbara Baker, who read this work, did an outstanding job. She matched the book’s authoritative tone, and took care to pronounce English words and their foreign antecedents and cousins with clarity and care. Thank you for your contribution! I very much appreciated and enjoyed your effort.

— Steve

All of Barbara's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for thadine (Joy Chan) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
https://librivox.org/mysticism-a-study-in-nature-and-development-of-spiritual-consciousness-by-evelyn-underhill/
Section titled: Mysticism and Psychology

Thank you for the beautiful weekend.

All of Joy's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!