'Thank You' messages for LibriVox readers - continued

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for beeber (Bruce Pirie) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Book:
The Brothers Karamazov (version 3)

I really enjoyed this book, and a great part was due to quality reading proportionate by Bruce.
I tried several versions earlier this year but none of them caught my attention, so i decided to jump to another one and i can tell, Bruce is a great reader.
I will sure listen to all his audios despite the book, he's that great.

Thanks

All of Bruce's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for lynnet (Lynne T) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Thank you Lynne T for reading so well. I just finished listening to The voyage out, a novel I enjoyed very much.

All of Lynne's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Margaret (Margaret Espaillat) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Margaret Espaillat,

What a beautiful thing you’ve done with this extraordinary book! I’m a very slow reader and wouldn’t get to enjoy this book if not for you.
I don’t often say this, but I really appreciate your many voices. This is the biggest compliment: I mostly don’t notice. You’re able to do it naturally. I’m sure what just seems natural to me reflects countless hours of hard work and practice, but it really works for me.

I love this book!
Thanks,
Keith, Winters, CA

All of Margaret's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for seanmhogan (Sean Michael Hogan) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Thank you, Sean, for your reading of "Poems" by William Henry Drummond. I especially enjoyed you sounding like a Frenchman, I listened to it 2 more times :) You put a smile on my face throughout your reading. You have a nice tone to your voice that is pleasant to the ear and you enunciate the words.

You are a magnificent reader and one of the best!

Martin
Victoria, BC

All of Sean's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for wildemoose (Arielle Lipshaw) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Arielle,
On this Christmas Eve, I would like to thank you so much for all the work you put into making Librivox recordings. You have a very pleasant and expressive voice. For our homeschooling family, it is a delight to listen to audiobooks while accomplishing our many tasks. Our favorite so far is the dramatic reading of Anne of Green Gables, and my daughters love the rest of the books in that series. Thank you so much for your selfless gift. Have a good Christmas!

Love,
Brandie and her six children

All of Arielle's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Kaffen (Mark F. Smith) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hello
I would like to reach out and express my thanks to Mark for his fine readings. Especially The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne.

https://librivox.org/the-mysterious-island-by-jules-verne/

I am relatively new to Librivox and it was due to the reading of Mark's works that I was inspired to want to contribute myself.
Mark has a great voice, easy to listen to and his manner of expression sits well within me.
I appreciate a good story and especially when it is well read.
To be able to conjure in one's mind, the imagery, through words, is a great art.
Thank you Mark for bringing some great works to life for me.
Reards
Digitizer

All of Mark's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for johng (John Greenman) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Mr Greenman,

I live in the Interior of Alaska on a remote trapline with my husband and four boys. During these long winter days, I find it necessary to force myself to go outside during daylight hours to get fresh air and what little sunlight can be found-- my favorite activity being cross country skiing. While I am skiing about the wilds of our trapline, I like to listen to podcasts and audiobooks.

My mom and dad live in Minden, NV just south of Carson City. I have visited them for about a month every winter with my children for the last 15 years or so, so it feels like a second home. I have wanted to read Roughing It by Mark Twain for many years ever since my dad mentioned it to me as relating to the area.

At any rate, in my search for another audio book to enjoy in my adventures along ski trails this winter, I found your reading of Roughing It. As it has taken me many trips out into the cold to ski and completely listen to your reading of this book, this has helped me to truly appreciate the amount of work it must have been for you to record yourself reading it! (Might I also note that I homeschool our four boys and read aloud to them for hours every week, so I know how tiring it can be to read aloud). You did a great job; your voice is perfect for a frontiersman/miner sort of book. Thank you again for dedicating yourself to such a task so that someone like myself can enjoy it.

Sincerely,
Cathy

All of John's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for gypsygirl (Karen Savage) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Many thanks to Karen Savage for a superb reading of Nesbit's The Railway Children <https://librivox.org/railway-children-by-e-nesbit/>

This is as good as a professional reading: not over-dramatized but with sufficient distinction of the different characters and their moods and emotions.

The sensitive reading has added to my enjoyment of what is an outstanding piece of writing.

Thank you,

Richard
and...
Hello Karen,

Thank you, so very much!

Putting your talent to use by reading in the Public Domain with LibriVox has certainly not been in vain!

I have truly enjoyed your work with The “Anne” books by L.M. Montgomery, along with Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice plus Mansfield Park!

Keep up the great work!

Gwen

All of Karen's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for pipesdreams (Moira Fogarty) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Thank you, Moira Fogarty, for Roughing it in the Bush. You bring books directly into my consciousness, evoking the characters without doing anything to draw attention to yourself. I hope I’m phrasing that correctly. It’s high praise, and I appreciate it very much.

I have an ask for you, and I realize it’s huge, but asking is free, so here goes: would you consider reading George Eliot’s Mill on the Floss? I think currently it’s a group rendition only.

Thank you,
Keith,
Winters, CA

All of Moira's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

icequeen wrote: January 13th, 2021, 8:42 pm Praise received for Sue Anderson (Sue Anderson) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
A few years ago I listened to "The White Heart of Mojave" by Edna Brush Perkins, an author I never heard of. It was read by Sue Anderson.
Sue's voice and tempo were perfect. I can still hear it even though it's been several years. I loved the book though I'm not sure I would have loved it as much if I hadn't heard it through Sue's rendition. She and Perkins brought the beauty of the Mojave to life. I live in wet, green PA. I had no idea a desert could be so beautiful.
Thank you so much Sue, I'm eternally grateful to you.
Sincerely, Kay

All of Sue's recordings!
Hi Kay, Thank you for your kind words about The White Heart of Mojave, (written in 1922). It is one of my favorites too. As you know, Edna Perkins and the friend with whom she adventured into the Mojave desert were "middle-aged, mothers of families and deeply involved in the historic struggle for the vote [for women]. "It was," she writes "our habit to tell large and assorted audiences that freedom consists in casting a ballot at regular intervals and taking your rightful place in a great democracy; nor did it seem anomalous, as perhaps it should have, that our chiefest desire was to escape from every manifestation of democracy in the solitariness of some wild and lonely place...a different kind of freedom from that about which we had been preaching."

As an aside, I've never lived in the South West but I feel the pull of the clear skies and open spaces. Among our family stories was one my mother used to tell about her mother's sister (my great aunt) who ran a boarding house in Pecos, New Mexico. Many years ago, on a cross country trip, I detoured into Pecos, drove up to the ranger station at the Pecos National Historical Park, stopped to read a prominent warning sign about rattlesnakes, and then headed inside to ask at the front desk if anybody had ever heard of "Reuter's Mud Hut," the name of my great aunt's boarding house. Wow, was I in luck! The volunteer I spoke to not only had heard of the place, she had a key to the empty but still standing adobe structure, which locals were petitioning to have listed on the register of historic buildings. After showing me around, she asked if I wanted to see the Reuter's ranch! I had no idea of the existence of a "ranch." But it turned out my great aunt had homesteaded on the Pecos, abandoning what must have been a hardscrabble existence only during World War II. There was abandoned farm house on the property with canning jars still on the shelves. That incredible day spent in Pecos, New Mexico, was on my mind when I read "The White Heart of Mojave."
CarolynCanada

Post by CarolynCanada »

I think I might be too new to the forum to thank readers directly so I wanted to reach out to Barry Eads ( KiltedDragon ) (Concise Commentary on the Bible - Book of Matthew ch. 10
https://librivox.org/concise-commentary-on-the-bible-book-of-matthew-by-matthew-henry/

and David Baldwin ( wdavidbaldwin )
Unspoken Sermon by George Macdonald - "The Truth"
https://librivox.org/unspoken-sermons-by-george-macdonald/

I used a clip from both readings in my YouTube video (i was making as if it were a radio broadcast) and they were just perfect, well-read and meaningful!!!
so grateful and also grateful to Librivox in general!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gstskvr9Lpg
Winter in the Canadian Country (Kingston)
:D :D :D :D
Thank you!!!
HandmadePSK

Post by HandmadePSK »

I express my deep gratitude to all the people who made this collection possible:
The World's Best Poetry, Volume 7: Descriptive and Narrative (Part 2)
https://librivox.org/worlds-best-poetry-7-2-by-various/
I accidentally stumbled upon it in the mentions in this same forum section and became interested. This is my first experience of listening to poetry, because my English is far from perfect and I did not think that I would be able to perceive English poetry normally by ear. But to my pleasant surprise, it turned out to be not much more difficult than listening to and understanding prose. So I think I will continue to listen to such poetry.
Of course, I enjoyed the dramatic performance of all the readers and more than once smiled very much at some emotional passages. It was really cool and everyone did their best!
Without belittling the dignity of other readers and the general high level, Katharina Glowalla is most memorable for my male ear personally, but this is purely subjective.
Thank you all for a lot of fun! Be healthy and happy! :clap:
Alexander ❤ HandmadePSK ❤ About me ◀◀◀ (readable)
🦋 Aspire to inspire before we expire! 🦄
HandmadePSK

Post by HandmadePSK »

Hello everybody! I just started listening to this charming collection:
https://librivox.org/short-poetry-collection-208-by-various/

And, since I don’t know when I’ll finish and will write my full gratitude to all the participants, I hasten to note with pleasure what caught my eye or better ear almost immediately - the sweet girlish laugh, which was hardly restrained, in the recording of Evan Mantler, "An Address to Miss Phillis Wheatley" by Jupiter Hammon. ♪♫♪♫♪♪

This is not often found in the local audio recordings, so it is akin to especially large and charming pearls among other jewels of audiobooks. :clap:
Special thanks to her! I continue to listen! :D
Alexander ❤ HandmadePSK ❤ About me ◀◀◀ (readable)
🦋 Aspire to inspire before we expire! 🦄
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for beckym (Becky Miller) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Ms Miller-- I can't thank you enough for your beautiful reading of Daniel Deronda by George Eliot. I had never even heard of this marvelous novel and came upon it only while searching for other Eliot novels.
Your reading was clear and articulate,your voice pleasant and appropriate for all of the individual characters. Eliot included a lot of subtle, biting humor into the novel, and you conveyed that beautifully.
As for the book itself, although I'm a non observant Jew, I found the story line about Daniel's relationship with Mordechai and Milah particularly compelling. It is such a departure from the odious depiction of Jews which are usually found in early literature. George Eliot was certainly ahead of her time in so many ways.
Thank you for your wonderful reading of what has instantly jumped to the top of my all time favorite novels. Paul, Frederick, MD

All of Becky's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for tux753 (Tux) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Ha sido un verdadero placer escuchar los 10 primeros libros de los Episodios Nacionales de Benito Pérez-Galdós a cargo del lector TUX. La cadencia, la vocalización, la calidez me han parecido excelentes. Está claro que esta sobresaliente lectura revaloriza una obra histórica por merecimiento. Muchas gracias. Ojalá hubiera seguido con los siguientes episodios, pero ya estoy más que agradecido por lo escuchado.

All of Tux's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!