'Thank You' messages for LibriVox readers - continued

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for AmethystA (Mary Anderson) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to read Just David! It was such a beautiful book and you read it so well. Your voice seems to just fit the story! I listened to it with my girls and we really enjoyed it!

Thank you,

All of Mary's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for pnagami (Pamela Nagami) from our 'Thank a reader' feature regarding her reading of The End of the Middle Age: 1273-1453:

Reader is Pamela Nagami

How do I contribute for her? She makes the dull history come alive.
The book itself is better than normal, yet when SHE reads it, I get a visual sense of the events.
So any reply you care to make, I'd be grateful to receive.

I would not contribute under this name, but will contribute. Librivox is a great service. I will continue to contribute and be a customer!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

All of Pam's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for martinc (Martin Clifton) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Dear Martin Clifton. I enjoyed very much “The Vicar of Wakefield” and I was especially pleased with you as a reader.

Thank you very much. I will look out for other books with you as a reader.

All of Martin's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for RuthieG (Ruth Golding) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Thanks for a wonderful reading of Wuthering heights - my All-time favourite book. This novel has brought me through many the bad time giving me great comfort and distraction. I've listened to many audio versions but yours is the best. Must go now and listen to more of you!

Thanks, anne-marie
and...
I wanted to thank Ruth Golding, whose reading of Wuthering Heights I thoroughly enjoyed. I am not a fan of the book and I will confess that if her reading had not been so engaging, I probably would have procrastinated longer in ticking it off my bucket list. I am also grateful to LibriVox. An audio book is an expensive luxury especially when you live in a third-world country and have to pay first-world rates for an audio book. This endeavor means that I don't have to try to do my chores while figuring out how to keep a book balanced somewhere at eye level and what gymnastic manouver will help turn pages. Thank you to all of you at LibriVox.

May your tribe increase!

Raji

All of Ruth's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for simonevers (Simon Evers) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

I enjoy Simon Evers' readings so much. He has such a calming, relaxing voice. I like to leave his books playing throughout the day just to hear his voice, like for company. Tony

All of Simon's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Vandermast (Jason Mills) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

I want to thank him for a job done extremely well on The Worm
Ouroboros
. This is one of my favorite books & I know it to be somewhat
challenging even to read to oneself, much less narrate aloud. Using
exactly the right amount of inflection - neither dry nor overacting
character speech, he delivered an interpretation of the narration that
does justice to the high quality content of the book & brings the
larger-than-life characters to life plausibly and credibly. This is
done without ever any apparent undue hesitation or thought between
lines of text, and one can only assume that he was already intimately
familiar with the book as if it were the his own beloved favorite. As
I listened to it - in its entirety - I had the sense that E.R.
Eddision himself were reading to me. I have yet to hear any reading of
any book so perfectly matched to the style and flavor of the content.
Well done indeed Sir!

All of Jason's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for blightersrock (Tony Foster) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Reader: Tony Foster
Book: Mary Barton - A Tale of Manchester Life
https://librivox.org/mary-barton-a-tale ... n-gaskell/

I would like to thank Tony Foster for his truly superb recording of Mary Barton - A Tale of Manchester Life.

I was researching my family history and discovered that some of my ancestors lived in the Ardwick/Ancoats region of Manchester in the middle 1800's working in the cotton mills. So I thought I would listen to 'Mary Barton' by Elizabeth Gaskell as it was written at that time and about that place.

As soon as I started to listen it was as though I had walked through a door straight into the past. The combination of Elizabeth Gaskell's writing and Tony Foster's reading made the characters seem like people I could easily recognise, know and form a bond with. It was all very genuine, very authentic.

When we read history books about the conditions of the poor in Manchester during the Industrial Revolution it is easy to forget that these were people just like you or me. They were not all poorly educated, ignorant people but many were bright, humorous, stoical individuals surviving the best they could.

This recording made a deep and lasting impression on me. It was very moving but it was hopeful too, a book for the 21st century and this recording by Tony Foster is the ultimate and perfect expression of it.

Best wishes
Trish

All of Tony's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Mermaid (Mil Nicholson) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

(regarding her reading of Our Mutual Friend

Dear Reader,
I am truly enjoying your presentation of this work, and your manner of bringing the characters to life.
Lynn

and...
I am emailing to thank the reader, Mil Nicholson, for her wonderful reading of Dombey and Son by Charles Dickens.

https://librivox.org/dombey-and-son-by-charles-dickens/

I have been enjoying listening to the story for about three months, picking up the next chapter whenever I can. The reason it has taken so long is because I kept re-listening to most of the chapters, some of them more than twice, to savour the beautiful language which Mil read so clearly and sensitively. I have clear pictures of the characters in my head thanks to the distinct and apt voices she used. Her expression wonderfully captured the many facets of the story, including the joy, pain, poignancy and humour. Reading a book of this length is no mean undertaking and I want Mil to know that I appreciate her work.

Kind regards,
Jo

All of Mil's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for NoDecaf (David Leeson) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

To David Leeson: As I am listening to Eusebius' Church History for the third time, it seems opportune to thank you for taking so much time to read it to us. It was in my library some years ago, but I can no longer read, so your audio book was a pleasant surprise when I found it on Librivox.. And the narration is so lovely! I am also able to share it with others who do not have the resources to obtain it themselves. again, thank you and God bless you for your work.

Susan

All of David's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for rkilmer (Richard Kilmer), Jacquerie (Jacquerie) and Cleogirl (Cate Barratt) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

I'm very thankful to the following three great readers. I'd like to combine my thanks with concrete recommendations for listeners to promote their work. Because great readings of great books are a pleasure doubled.

RICHARD KILMER, thank you very much, you made me discover two new authors:
Theodore Dreiser - The Genius. A great epic about a troubled painter.
http://librivox.org/the-genius-by-theodore-dreiser/

Stewart Edward White - Gold. A thrilling adventure, but believable as a report:
http://librivox.org/gold-by-stewart-edward-white/

I also enjoyed very much your reading of a very well known author in (for me) unknown territory:
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - The Captain of the Polestar and other Tales
http://librivox.org/the-captain-of-the- ... nan-doyle/

JACQUERIE, thank you very much, you also made me discover an author:
A.E.W. Mason - Clementina. History, adventure, humor! Written by a smart man. Wonderful!
https://librivox.org/clementina-by-a-e-w-mason/

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - The Great Shadow. Napoleons return from Elba is the background of romance and tragedy. And yes, a great rendition of the battle of Waterloo. Don't miss this one:
http://librivox.org/the-great-shadow-by ... nan-doyle/

CATE BARRATT is maybe the most perfect reader for "The Prussian Officer" by D. H. Lawrence? A dramatic tour de force:
https://librivox.org/the-prussian-offic ... -lawrence/

I also hugely enjoyed your reading of Jacob Abbotts "History of Julius Caesar":
http://librivox.org/history-of-julius-c ... ob-abbott/

Thanks to all readers for your work, your time and your shared passion. Have a wonderful, happy, lucky and healthy year 2018!

All of Richard's recordings!
All of Jacquerie's recordings!
All of Cate's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
swingingelvis

Post by swingingelvis »

just finished Roderick Random.....

great story...
read brilliantly....one person ...
@ arthur krolman

many character voices....
so good i forgot i was listening to only one solo reader..

excellent
many thanks for your time.

the thankyou thread is not apparent...
and seems to be "a bit old" giving the impression it's not read,,
surely the thank you's should have a prominent visibility.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

All readers receiving a thank you note are sent a PM to let them know that they have received a note. Do you have a suggestion to make this thread more visible?
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Kaffen (Mark F. Smith) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hello —

I want to thank Mark Smith, who read Joseph Conrad’s “The Point of Honor,” also called “The Duel.” Mr Smith did Joseph Conrad justice. His reading was smooth and yet expressive as needed. He portrayed the different characters’ voices differently, and his tones of voice fit them well.

It is good to see a fine job done with this fine novel. It's not well known, and it's shorter than most Conrad books. But for its concision, its rational treatment of irrationality, its Conradian irony and its deep emotion it deserves more recognition. I thank Mr Smith for creating a beautiful reading.

My best wishes,
Don
and...
Mark,

Thank you for your excellent reading of Jack London’s Call of the Wild.
Look forward to listening to more.

Rev. Will
(former assoc minister, Simpsonville UMC 1999-2001)

All of Mark's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for LenXZ1 (Leonard Wilson) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

We’d like to thank Leonard Wilson for his reading of Orley Farm. It was great having one clearly enunciating reader for such a long book. His reading was very lively and brought the characters to life.

We will be looking for more of his readings.

Tim

All of Leonard's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for sjmarky (Mark Nelson) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

I love everything I have listened to by Mark Nelson, he is an excellent reader! I especially enjoy H. Beam Piper – The Cosmic Computer, Lone Star Planet, and Space Viking have been some of my favorites. Keep up the great work!!!

All of Mark's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!