'Thank You' messages for LibriVox readers - continued

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for John (John Nicholson) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
To John,
I wish to thank you for such a fantastic read of the H. Rider Haggard story Alan Quartermain.
I enjoyed your wonderful reading so much, that I listen to this story at least once a year. You
brought so much character, and warmth to this adventure; that it’s hard to stop listening. I wish you would
consider doing more, although such perfect reads must take an enormous commitment.
But for the work you have done for us, Thank you so very much.
Richard
Oak Lawn, Illinois. U.S.A.

All of John's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for MrsHand (KHand) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I would like to thank the reader for her reading of The Widow's Cruise,
by FR Stockton, International Short Stories Vol 1, American.... 24:29
minutes.

My appreciation is based on the clarity of her reading. Since I'm elderly
and listen daily to various podcasts at a local gym clarity is key to my
appreciation of story telling.

Thank you, Richard

All of KHand's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for bgdavid (David Clarke) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
David:.

I listened to your recording of The Count of Monte Cristo to lighten my commute to/from work. You did an outstanding job of bringing the story to life. Your use of voices/accents greatly enhanced both the understanding and enjoyment of the story. I was sad when I finally came to the end of it . It is obvious you put a LOT of time into creating this recording. I will look for other recordings you have done.

Thank You

Grant
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
and...
I am enjoying the Sherlock Holmes series. Thank you for your efforts.

Steven
All of David's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for lyra211 (Meredith Hughes) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I found Kipling's The Jungle Book, in libribox audiobooks, by Meredith Hughes, wonderfully played. It touched me; and I enjoyed it very much. Thanks!

Manuel

All of Meredith's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for kenmorefield (Kenneth R. Morefield) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Mr. Morefield,

I just wanted to drop you a note to thank you for your reading. I love the original George Macdonald books so much, but don’t always have time to sit down and read them and I have listened to your David Elginbrod several times through over the years since you recorded it. When I saw Robert Falconer was recorded I was so grateful – it had meant so much to me when I was 19 and had an unexpected loss in my life.

My husband of 14 years had a head trauma about a year ago and since then has abandoned our family and is only coming to see the kids a few times a month. Obviously, it’s been a terrible year, and I am struggling everyday both with grief and the logistics of the situation. I remembered how much Falconer had comforted me when I was young, and have been falling asleep every night listening to that beautiful chapter “In the Desert”.

'If it was the will of God who made me and her, my will shall not be set against his. I cannot be happy, but I will bow my head and let his waves and his billows go over me. If there is such a God, he knows what a pain I bear. His will be done. Jesus thought it well that his will should be done to the death. Even if there be no God, it will be grand to be a disciple of such a man, to do as he says, think as he thought—perhaps come to feel as he felt.'

I know it’s no small feat to read a whole MacDonald novel – especially Falconer, which no one would say is his most exciting work, but I wanted you to know how much it has meant to me.

Beth

All of Kenneth's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for jglange (Jonathan Lange) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hey There-

I just wanted to thank Jonathan Lange for his readings by Martin Luther! I am moving through his whole catalog very quickly and have thoroughly enjoyed his work. Your service to the community is appreciated. These works by Martin Luther should be celebrated into perpetuity for the masterpieces that they are.

-John

All of Jonathan's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for bridgester (Bridget Gaige) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
The hidden hand.
Thank yo so very much for reading the entire book. Great story, I was listening while getting ready for thanksgiving and the time flew by.
Thank you for being a volunteer!
Happy Holidays!
Lynn

All of Bridget's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for chiquito_crasto (Chiquito Crasto) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Thank you, Chiquito Crasto, for your reading of ten stories in Short Ghost and Horror Collection 020: https://librivox.org/short-ghost-and-horror-story-collection-vol-020-by-various/. The timbre of your voice paired with your accent lends a macabre air to each story. I also appreciate your careful enunciation. Thanks for volunteering!

Jon
Alexis, NC

All of Chiquito's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for LukeSartor (Luke Sartor) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Mr. Sartor,

I am listening to an audiobook recording of "Character Building" by Booker T. Washington, narrated by you. Thank you so much for such rich and elegant recording of a highly useful book! I'm listening to it in my car and also in my home, and your narration is wonderful. Thank you very much!

Sincerely,
Rupinder.

All of Luke's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for gloriana (Elizabeth Klett) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hi Elizabeth,

I just want to say thank you for bringing out the warmth and compassion that the author intended for the Jane Eyre novel. Through your voice, the listener is transported back in time for a fully immersive experience going along with the novel as the story unfolded, line by line. It’s a gift that you’ve given us listeners, an added-value to the already great novel by Charlotte . Through your voice, the novel became truly magnificent. Thank you for your gift and I hope to keep finding literature treasures narrated by you.

Bruce

All of Elizabeth's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for aBayRose (Jo Karabasz) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Thank you very much for your excellent reading of "Daddy Long Legs,
Version 2
." You made it most enjoyable to listen.

With appreciation,
Ann

All of Jo's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

icequeen wrote: December 6th, 2019, 9:37 pm Praise received for Sue Anderson (Sue Anderson) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
You made me fall in love with Gertrude Stein, though I don't recall reading any of her words. Excellent choice for the latest Nonfiction Collection! Now I must investigate her!

Your readings for both of your entries for this collection were inspiring! Your voice is so pleasant, smooth, clear, and easy to follow. I'm wondering how you prepared yourself to do so well, and what suggestions you have for us new readers.

Thank you for making my whole body shake with laughter as I read about the new stove: when the narrator recommended how the friend should behave when her husband raged, and when her friend followed the directions. Marvelous reading!

All of Sue's recordings!
Thanks for your nice comments about the two recordings I made for the 70th volume of the Non Fiction Collection. I'd had never read anything by the great 19th century feminist Elizabeth Cady Stanton before -- put off, I think, by the way she looks in her photos, all those white ringlets. Dipping into her prose was a revelation for me. Her feisty humor in recounting how she prodded her neighbor to buy a new stove was infectious. Also, that story hit directly at my gut, since the oven on my decrepit old gas range had stopped working some many months ago, leaving me pizza deprived. After reading Stanton, I literally jumped in my car and headed off to Lowes. Now, I can eat pizza and, as Elizabeth Cady Stanton wrote, "madam [is] jubilant with her added comforts and that newborn feeling of independence one has in assuming responsibility."

Gertrude Stein is another woman writer I felt I should have read, but had not, except for The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas. Stein's style generally leaves me itchy with impatience. So, again, in the spirit of "self improvement" I decided to read Mabel Dodge Luhan's critique of Stein. Dodge writes: "In a portrait [Stein] has finished recently she has produced a coherent totality through a series of impressions which, when taken sentence by sentence, strike most people as particularly incoherent..." Dodge then given this quote from Stein to illustrate: "It is a gnarled division, it is not sinking to be growing, it is not darkening to be disappearing, it is not aged to be annoying. There cannot be sighing. This is this bliss." Well... to know if this paragraph produced a "coherent totality" in my mind, check out my website:
http://audiobooks.oliveandseablue.com/autobio/women/post-impressionism-in-the-prose-of-gertrude-stein/

As to suggestions for new readers... the best thing I can suggest is, after you have what you think is a finished recording, sit down with a cup of coffee (or in my case I take up my needlepoint) and listen to the recording as if it were recorded by somebody else. Aside from catching stray mistakes you missed in editing, you'll hear those places where you don't "come in clear." By not "coming in clear," I mean, things like lost consonants at the end of words and words that run together ["She wuduh" for "she would have" and such.] You can just note these speech patterns as things to pay attention to on the next recording.

But I wouldn't worry about your recording voice. Most of us here at LibriVox do not have voice training. I certainly do not. I like listening to different voices, different accents. That's what makes Librivox recordings so enjoyable.

Best wishes,
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

From Twitter:

Estoy escuchando El Anacronópete y me estoy divirtiendo mucho con las aventuras del inventor de la primera máquina del tiempo de la historia! Gracias a @librivox y Epachuko por su lectura 😀📚🎧

Translation: "I'm listening to Anacronópete and I'm having a lot of fun with the adventures of the inventor of the first time machine in history! Thanks to @librivox and Epachuko for reading"

https://librivox.org/el-anacronopete-by-enrique-gaspar-y-rimbau/

All of Epachuko's recordings
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
greek101

Post by greek101 »

Carolin wrote: September 25th, 2014, 1:33 am Praise for suddenity (Zoe Dickinson) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
Many thanks, Zoe, for your wonderful reading Of Odyssey 6. Your accent and pronunciation are both excellent and, struggling Greek learner that I am, you have been really helpful in untangling all those dreadful dipthongs. From now on, as far as I'm concerned, you are the model for Ancient Greek Received Pronunciation! I'd be really grateful if you'd consider doing some more - there is so little recorded Greek available and for those without access to a teacher listening to good spoken Greek is the only way to improve.

All the best

Martin
All of Zoe's recordings
Hi, I've just registered to the forum and I totally second Martin's praise for Zoe's reading of Odyssey 6 in ancient greek, and the observaton on the lack of recorded Greek available and for learners without access to a teacher.
As a side noteI'm working on an open source android app addressed to ancient greek first time learner, and I've stumbled upon this same problem. I'm looking to someone that would be willing to record reading of ancien greek sentences, apt for entry level study, from Apollodorus, Plutarch, Aesop, Homer and others, and I would be really glad if Zoe would be interested.
Since I'm working on a selection of sentences, rather than whole chapters from books this probably wouldn't be suited for librivox, but maybe I'm wrong and there is some way to post here collection of quotations (what if this is also a possible new feature for librivox: a secton of the site for quotations, that would be for librixos like wikiquote is to wikipedia or wikibooks).
greek101

Post by greek101 »

I'm posting a thank you note here because I'm newly registered and cannot send PMs yet.

I wanted to thank Rachel Mayes for her reading of Edgar Allan Poe Preface and dedication note. Your voice and 'way of speaking' (there should be a more proper/technical term for that) are very pleasant to hear. I wish you could read some poems too, by Poe or anyone else.