'Thank You' messages for LibriVox readers - continued

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for AndreaFiore (Andrea Fiore) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hello Andrea,

I’m a young man from Germany who stumbled upon the German version of James Allen’s "As A Man Thinketh"
a few years ago and knew then that I found something special, but the real journey began later :)

Fast Forward a few years, it is now 2020 and as I was browsing Youtube I came across the Audiobook „The Path of Prosperity“,
which was read by you, and was shocked by the truth that hit me!

Since then, I think I heard all James Allen books which were read by you and I have to say it changed me as a person and my life accordingly!

So I just want to thank you from my heart, you were part of this process which then took place within me because
it was also the way you read it which made a big impact and helped me understand what was said (at least I think I understand some part because divine knowledge is hard to grasp by men)
and of course also for bringing this knowledge out into the world for everyone else to read and to learn!

I wish you all the best :)

Kind Regards

Matthias

All of Andrea's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for gibhere2 (CJ Plogue) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
CJ,
I wanted to thank you for your reading of the Book of Enoch. It was read flawlessly and clearly.
I downloaded it and listen to it quite often; it has greatly increased my understanding of God, and the history of the Earth and it's people; amongst many other things. It is an eye opener.
God bless you. Thank you again.
Mark.

All of CJ's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for ChrisMS (Christopher Smith) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Mr Smith,

I have greatly enjoyed listening to your clear readings of Andrew Murray's The Power of the Blood of Christ and Divine Healing. Thank you very much for your investment of time and skill in producing such valuable recordings.

Yours sincerely,

J.

All of Christopher's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for gloriana (Elizabeth Klett) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
https://librivox.org/northanger-abbey-by-jane-austen-2/

Dear Dr. Elizabeth Klett:

I love audiobooks, I have been listening to them for about two weeks (I am 45). As most people I listen to them while doing things that do not require much concentration, or if the book is particularly interesting, I just sit or lay down and listen to it.

I am an Audible subscriber, I receive two books a month, and I listen to them at least four or five times in the span of a few years or months, depending on how much I like the book and narrator.

My prelude just reminded me of the scene in Bel Canto, when the russian gentleman explains to the opera singer why he is qualified to tell her he loves her singing.

As I was saying, twenty years, twenty four books a year, that is around five hundred books -as I said, most were listened more than once- and add the audiobooks from Librivox.

A roundabout way of saying I have heard many narrators many times. When I listen to Northanger Abbey from Librivox I was impressed with the quality of the narration, I kept thinking to myself "I hope someone told this girl just how fantastic she is at this, the diction, the intonation, the voice acting, timing, I mean, just all of it..."

Whenever I wanted to listen to something superbly written and narrated I would pick from Mr. David Sedaris, Professor Bill Bryson, Mr. Douglas Adams, or Northanger Abbey from Librivox.

I thought myself lucky for having discovered this narrator in Librivox (that would be you) and out of curiosity, I once did a websearch her and, well, to my surprise, she turned out to be doctor (in philosophy and or literature, I would guess) who is a university professor, professional actress, expert in literature, voice acting, narrating, and the list went on. I smiled to myself and though, how strange are the arts.

When we see a what we consider a good artis, like a good actor or musician, for example, we -and by "we" I mean "I", of course- have the tendency to pat wish them in the back, and say "well, you did good, you have a talent for this, you are just really good!". It is funny that when we see a beautiful bridge we get no urge to contact the architect and engineer and tell them "Hey! nice bridge there you guy! keep up the good work!" or when a surgeon does a transplant nobody has the urge to go up to her and say "well, you did it, didn't you? you are so good at this, you should stick to it, I see a future here for you".

Yet when we see artist who have spend years in training, school, college, university, classes, coaches, groups, community centers, all the hard work, all the effort, all the studying, the hard work, the introspection, the reading, the writing, the dancing, the exorcising, the shear sacrifice, the talent! the talent ... Well, we get this urge to go up to them and almos hand them a dollar bill and say "hey, you are good!".

I have no idea what this is, I have thought about it, not much, but I have, I guess it is historic, artists were mainly self-taught perhaps, lived on tips from patrons, were to entertain without bothering the people at the court, who knows; yet enough centuries have passed, and I feel we still have this attitude, I am perplexed everytime I catch myself in this frame of mind.

Perhaps television and cinema does not help, so many stories about a person who just jumps on a stage by accident and end up in the proverbial "top of the world"; yet we do not know how many of our favorite musicians, actors, painters, artists in general, have a formal education, and how hard it was, and how many sacrifices they made, and how many people who deserved to make it, are still trying.

The short version of this letter would say that I humbly thank you for using your amazing talent and training for the enjoyment of us anonymous beings around the world, and I hope G-d, the universe, or Darwin (the medium of your choice) showers you and your loved ones with wonderful, beautifull, expected and unexpected things.

Thank you, Dr. Klett,

Best regards,

Elazar

All of Elizabeth's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Falassewen (Melissa Green) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Melissa Green, Thank you, Thank you so very much for sharing your wonderful voice with listeners to Librivox. Your tender inflections help transport the listener into their imagination. I listen exclusively to Catholic books and loved your chapters in "The books of saints and friendly beasts". No doubt you have kissed the Blarney stone.

John

McKean Pennsylvania, USA

All of Melissa's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for gypsygirl (Karen Savage) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hello,
I recently listened to the Anne series read by Karen Savage. Thank you so much for taking the time to record the great audio books! You are a great reader and I really enjoyed listening to you read these books! I am a fan of Lucy Maud Montgomery. I love her books, and listing to you read them. I noticed things that I had never noticed before. Thank you again!

All of Karen's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Breefolk (Christiane Levesque) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
https://ia802608.us.archive.org/32/items/o_canada_librivox/o_canada_weir_cl.mp3

Thank you to Christiane Levesque for her beautiful singing of O Canada!

Really appreciate it.

I have made it into a youtube video yesterday and am hoping many schools
and other places/people will play this version of the national anthem!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN1_roRiKds

Grateful to Librivox in general!!!!! So grateful.....this is so
wonderful for a creative person like myself.

Very best regards,

Carolyn

All of Christiane's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Caffeinated (Linda Leu) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Linda,

Thank you so much for the time and intention you put into reading words. I have benefited greatly from listening to your Emerson recordings. It's like medicine for my brain!

With gratitude,

Adam

All of Linda's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Algy Pug (Algy Pug) and AndreaFiore (Andrea Fiore) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hi! I wish to thank Algy Pug and Andrea Fiore for their reading on "The Kybalion", least to say it was a delight to listen to. I might want to add that I've listened to other Algy Pug recordings as well, such as in various poems (Bonfire by Robert Louis Stevenson is one that I recall the most strongly), and you give them that little bit extra. Thank you both so much for your contributions!

I wanted to share a musical piece I made where I used a few excerpts from The Kybalion from each of your readings: https://mikaelrhodin.bandcamp.com/album/skyward-droplets

Reference:
Andrea Fiore: https://librivox.org/the-kybalion-by-the-three-initiates/
Algy Pug: https://librivox.org/the-kybalion-by-the-three-initiates/

Best regards
Mikael

All of Algy's recordings!
All of Andrea's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for TheVagabond (Tom Denholm) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Thank you, Tom, for a wonderful reading of Adam Bede. You have a perfect balance – dramatic enough to heighten the interest, and gentle enough not to intrude on the story. I loved it.

Nick
and...
I enjoyed the reading of Grazia Deledda's (Italian) novel After the Divorce, as read by Tom Denholm. The reading is quite professional and enjoyable.

Saul
Raanana, Israel
All of Tom's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for TriciaG (TriciaG) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Thank you TriciaG for the reading of David Ransom's Watch. I really enjoyed the story, and your reading is clear and distinct and easy to understand which is a real advantage for one like myself whose hearing is not first rate. Author "Pansy" is a new one for me, and the story plot and theme was intriguing, The thread of reference to missions - home and foreign - was of particular interest. It was many years ago that I volunteered to spend a summer at the Central Alaskan Missions, then located in Glennallen, assisting with a construction project. The mission outreach included pastoral work in various remote villages among white and native peoples, a Christian radio station, a Bible college, and a small hospital that served an area about equal in size to the entire state of Ohio. There I met a short term volunteer nurse from New Jersey, and earlier this year we celebrated our fiftieth wedding anniversary.

So thank you for the enjoyable hours I spent listening to your reading while completing our new home - a cabin in Colorado's mountains. I will look forward to finding other of your librivox readings.

Rob
Del Norte, Colorado
and...
Hello Tricia G,
We just wanted to say thank you for all the time and effort you have put into the Isabella Alden stories you have read. We are looking forward to the new one you are almost done with. My daughters want to make a special request for some Ruth Livingston Hill recordings, and some Grace Livingston Hill (if there are any that are not so romancy) I would enjoy to hear some Marcia Livingston if you can find any longer selections.

The Ester Ried series, Mag and Margaret, 87, and Yesterday Framed in Today are our favorites,
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to listen to stories that encourage us in Christ-like character, we appreciate it.

Blessed in WI
All of TriciaG's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for GaryG48 (Gary Gilberd) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hi Gary,

Thanks for recording the Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin. I enjoyed learning about him and some of the history of that time period in American history while taking walks during COVID-19. His humble values and his constant thought and work for the greater good for the community-at-large very much impressed me.

Much appreciated,
Violet from Toronto, Canada

All of Gary's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for JCarson (James E. Carson) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hello,

I would like to thank Librivox, and those who support the project, for making available (for free!) so much excellent content.

I would also like to thank James E. Carson for his reading of The Bible, Douay-Rheims version, linked here; https://librivox.org/the-bible-douay-rheims-new-testament-by-douay-rheims-version/

Mr. Carson, I listen to this recording thirty minutes at a time every morning on my way to work. I can say with absolute certainty as a father of three under three, I would not otherwise have the time to be exposed to the Word if it were not for your recording. From your respectful pace, even tone, and delivery free of errors, I can tell that you find this reading of the utmost importance, as do I. I am also grateful for your selection of the Douay-Rheims version, as it is clear, sufficiently formal, and faithful to tradition - I chose your recording specifically because it was the Douay-Rheims. Thank you for taking the time to read and record well, and for your part in helping to spread the Gospel. I will remember you in my prayers, and God will remember you for this work as well.

Sincerely,

-Alex

All of James' recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for mom_of_nine (Theresa L. Downey) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I would like to thank the reader, Theresa L. Downey, who read "Stepping
Heavenward" by Elizabeth Prentiss
(https://librivox.org/stepping-heavenward-version-2-by-elizabeth-prentiss/).
While I was laid up with a [minor] injury it was a pleasure to listen to
her read this book while I quilted. Her words were clearly articulated
and her tone pleasant to listen to and she did the story justice.

Thank you, again,

Julianne (in New Zealand)

All of Theresa's recordngs!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for johng (John Greenman) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear John and group,
Thank you so much for your reading of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. I recently bought my 95-year-old mother an Envoy Connect audio device from Vision Australia. Her hearing and comprehension aren't what they used to be. I used the Audacity (r) sound editing software to slow down your reading by 20%, raise the pitch 10%, raise the volume to 10 dB max. and divide the mp3s for one file per chapter, then I loaded it on the Envoy. I played the whole thing to myself on a trip and enjoyed it immensely. I'm not sure my mother will be able to use it -- I haven't tried it with her yet. In spite of my modifications, your underlying performance shines through!
Best wishes,
Bruce
Eureka, California
and...
My beloved spouse of 57 years has spent 2 years battling cancer, and then covid19 reared up and got him in a 4 day horror fest. I kept my sanity during the long nights by listening to your perfect reading of The Innocents Abroad. Thank you so much. I have read for the Library for the Blind, and I know the work and persnickety-ness that must go into each sentence. I salute your wonderful voice, inflection and pacing. Just right. Live long and prosper.

K

All of John's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!