'Thank You' messages for LibriVox readers - continued

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for GordMackenzie (Gord Mackenzie) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Gordon,

Thank You for reading Walden by Henry David Thoreau to us. https://librivox.org/walden-by-henry-david-thoreau/
Your reading ability and voice is a gift that you shared with us. May many blessings come your way.

Would you consider reading "The Drama of Fluoride Arch - Enemy of Mankind by Leo Spira, M.D. PhD" published 1953.
It is a free domain book and I made a current edition that I can share with you. The antique book is also available on ebay.

Again, Thank You
Steve

All of Gord's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for jvanstan (John Van Stan) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I want to thank John Van Stan for his excellent presentation of A. Dumas' Twenty Years After, and Ten Years Later.

I appreciate the effort to make the stories come alive with the different voices, and lively voice inflections.

This had made the choice easy for deciding which Dickens Christmas Carol to listen to for my December commuting. I look forward to his Count of Monte Cristo, if/when completed.

Ric
Nampa, Idaho

All of John's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for TheBanjo (Peter Dann) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
This is a "thank you" to Peter Dann for his solo reading of Nostromo by Joseph Conrad (https://librivox.org/nostromo-version-2-by-joseph-conrad/). Peter, your reading of Nostromo is a tour de force. I was not familiar with this wonderful novel, and you truly made it come to life. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to read such a long, complex novel with so many distinct characters and foreign-language words, so beautifully. And I must also comment specifically on the startling masculine laughs that punctuate the speech of some of the characters 😄. Thank you so much for the gift of your reading! Susan

All of Peter's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for mongope (Mongope) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Buenas noches (aquí y ahora):

He escuchado Insolación y Los Pazos de Ulloa, "aprovechando" el centenario de la muerte de Emilia Pardo Bazán. Básicamente me despertó la curiosidad los varios podcast dedicados a ella, sobre todo el especial de Carne Cruda con Tomo y Lomo (https://www.eldiario.es/carnecruda/tomo-y-lomo/programas-tomo-lomo-12a-temporada_132_6245871.html). De hecho me picó la curiosidad sobre todo por el comentario que hicieron de Insolación.

Muchas, muchísimas gracias por tu dedicación, qué lectura más profesional, que voz más idónea para la lectura. Aprecié mucho que no fuese una lectura plana, las inflexiones más acentuadas de los diálogos matizaban muy bien el talante de los personajes en cada momento. Me leeré más libros leídos por tí seguro.

Recibe un afectuoso saludo

All of Mongope's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for dg73 (Dan Gurzynski) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Re: https://archive.org/download/short_story_collection067_1706_librivox/SSC067_librivox.m4b

Mr Gurzynski,

I've just finished listening to your superb reading of "Bill the Bloodhound". Well done, sir! You did the near impossible feat of an American reading Wodehouse without becoming a distraction. Thank you for eschewing a fake British accent or "trying too hard" in the funny bits: two temptations that often ruin the show.

By trusting in the genius of the author and wrapping the text in that neutral-accented, honey-gold voice of yours, your performance is flawless. Perfect tone, perfect tempo, and not a stutter in the story.

I've bookmarked your reader page as one of my go-to favourites and look forward to more of your presentations. Again, thank you for your work.

Cheers,
GK

All of Dan's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Lynnet (Lynne T) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I am impressed with the challenge you voluntarily assumed upon reading “The Most Extraordinary Trial of William Palmer”. The clarity of your voice and the appropriate inflections you employed made the document quite comprehensible to the listener in spite of its complexity. Thank you for this insight into the social, medical, and legal aspects of 19th century England. I am an 82-year-widow who enjoys Librivox daily!

All of Lynne's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Cori (Cori Samuel) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
A big thank you to Cori Samuel for her beautful rendering of Charles
Kingsley's "The Water-Babies". A really nuanced reading which is by
parts gentle, funny, nonsensical or satirical; it even makes the boring
bits enjoyable. And what a lovely voice. A genuine pleasure to listen
to. Thank you so much!

Emer

All of Cori's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Grothmann (Dale Grothmann) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I really enjoy your readings of R. A. Lafferty. My favorite is in your reading of "The Weirdest World.". The quote is, "They have always built them that way." Wonderful. I'm binge listening to all your readings. Thank you.

All of Dale's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for neustar (Bob Neufeld) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
We are doing a book club with friends and have had a difficult time with some of Austen's long, thoughtful passages. You've has been very helpful with simul-reading, kind of like books on tape to help little kids learn to read. You just seem to have the right tone for every thought running through the protagonist's brain. Thank you! We're so grateful to have this professional quality of work available for free so we can distribute it amongst our friends.

All of Bob's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for MARTIN GEESON (Martin Geeson)from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
I have been listening to your reading of The Idiot and I must say I am charmed by your reading. Your passion for the characters, your accent and the joy in your voice make listening not only enjoyable but addictive.

I have decided to listen to some of your other readings as well

Steve

All of Martin's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Mermaid (Mil Nicholson) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
LETTER FOR LIBRIVOX READER MIL NICHOLSON

Now five decades removed from college, I've been reliving my English lit classes by listening to all the British classic novels I can find at Librivox.org.

Lately, Mil Nicholson's dramatic rendering of Charles Dickens' novels has been one of my daily delights.

Before heading out the door, I plug in the earbuds of my iPod Shuffle and don my sunglasses. Then off we go for a long, lively walk back in time to Victorian England.

And who are "we"?

"We" is Charles and Mil . . . and Nicholas and Barnaby and Little Dorrit and Dombey and Son and Our Mutual Friend . . . and all the folks in Bleak House and Great Expectations . . . and me. (Okay, I, if we want to be grammatically correct!)

During these walks, author's pen . . . reader's voice . . . listener's ear . . . and humanity merge. We become one.

Arm in arm, we stroll the scenic streets of 21st century Houston while bringing to life, in our imaginations, the tragic, comic, pathetic, heroic, villanous, and compassionate characters of 19th century London!

Tonight I realized that I'd downloaded the "wrong" version of The Old Curiosity Shop. I deleted it, found the "right" version (read by Mil, of course), and added it to iTunes. I'll listen to it next week, after plowing through a non-Nicholson reading of Martin Chuzzlewit. (I wish Mil had done the complete Dickens oevre but realize that's asking a bit much!)

Thus ends my tale of two cities—Houston and London—and my thanks to the twosome of "composer" Charles and "musician" Mil for creating a collection of sonorous "symphonies" that I shall forever cherish.

Signed on a keyboard stained with tears over the closing sentence of The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby, which reminds us of sweet Smike,

Susan in Houston

All of Mil's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Kaffen (Mark F. Smith) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Please convey my gratitude to Mark F. Smith, for reading "Over the Top," a WW I memoir.

I am only two hours into the book, but am so entertained by Mr. Smith's narration. I even listened to and enjoyed the dictionary at the beginning. The book is beautifully written, but the performance enhances both the humorous and serious parts.

Please thank Mr. Smith for his work with LibriVox. I see that he has contributed numerous books.

I continue to be astonished by the LibriVox catalog. I end up listening to books on topics I would never have chosen if I were browsing a brick and mortar library.

--Mollie
Los Angeles

All of Mark's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
bgdavid

Post by bgdavid »

I don’t know if you were aware I have also recorded all the Sherlock Holmes books on LibriVox and I also have a podcast available on all podcast platforms called Opera Vox Audiobooks - you can find the Phantom of the Opera and David Copperfield there.
mongope

Post by mongope »

icequeen wrote: September 13th, 2021, 8:53 pm Praise received for mongope (Mongope) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Buenas noches (aquí y ahora):

He escuchado Insolación y Los Pazos de Ulloa, "aprovechando" el centenario de la muerte de Emilia Pardo Bazán. Básicamente me despertó la curiosidad los varios podcast dedicados a ella, sobre todo el especial de Carne Cruda con Tomo y Lomo (https://www.eldiario.es/carnecruda/tomo-y-lomo/programas-tomo-lomo-12a-temporada_132_6245871.html). De hecho me picó la curiosidad sobre todo por el comentario que hicieron de Insolación.

Muchas, muchísimas gracias por tu dedicación, qué lectura más profesional, que voz más idónea para la lectura. Aprecié mucho que no fuese una lectura plana, las inflexiones más acentuadas de los diálogos matizaban muy bien el talante de los personajes en cada momento. Me leeré más libros leídos por tí seguro.

Recibe un afectuoso saludo

All of Mongope's recordings!
Muchísimas gracias!! Es una gran alegría saber que alguien disfrutó de la lectura! :D
Montse
dg73

Post by dg73 »

Thank you! Reading literature like that is a pleasure and I'm very glad you enjoyed it.
icequeen wrote: September 13th, 2021, 8:55 pm Praise received for dg73 (Dan Gurzynski) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Re: https://archive.org/download/short_story_collection067_1706_librivox/SSC067_librivox.m4b

Mr Gurzynski,

I've just finished listening to your superb reading of "Bill the Bloodhound". Well done, sir! You did the near impossible feat of an American reading Wodehouse without becoming a distraction. Thank you for eschewing a fake British accent or "trying too hard" in the funny bits: two temptations that often ruin the show.

By trusting in the genius of the author and wrapping the text in that neutral-accented, honey-gold voice of yours, your performance is flawless. Perfect tone, perfect tempo, and not a stutter in the story.

I've bookmarked your reader page as one of my go-to favourites and look forward to more of your presentations. Again, thank you for your work.

Cheers,
GK

All of Dan's recordings!
Dan Gurzynski