'Thank You' messages for LibriVox readers - continued

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Peter Why (Peter Yearsley) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Very well done and almost feels like the reader is transported to 1900s London. (regarding his recording of The People of the Abyss)

and...

Wonderful diction and flow. As has been previously observed, Peter's voice has an asmr effect, very pleasant.

Many thanks

Paul
All of Peter's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for MattyG (Matthew James Gray) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Thank you Matthew for taking the time to read Religious Affections I have listened walking the dog, on my commute to work and flying on a plane. I was challenged by the book and listened to multiple chapters twice. Thanks again for your excellent reading.

All of Matthew's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for phileasfogg (Victor Villarraza) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Para Victor Villarraza por Frankenstein: El moderno Prometeo

Mi querido amigo:

Disculpe que lo trate en esos términos pero ya su voz resuena en mis oidos libro tras libro que le voy escuchando relatar. Y no es para menos: Su esfuerzo se refleja en los audiolibros que nos regala junto con librivox.
Como mi vista no es muy buena, siempre quise conocer estos textos clásicos y gracias a usted puedo darme el gusto mientras conduzco al trabajo o a casa, mientras corto el césped de mi patio y mientras camino yendo de un negocio a otro en el centro de mi ciudad.
Pensaba que con esto no estaría dejándome llevar por los comentarios que hacen los "eruditos" que aparecen en la televisión que, por saber los nombres de los personajes de un libro, ya creen conocerlo. Haciendo así, yo estaría consumiendo los libros de primera mano. Pero en honor a la verdad hubo más manos antes de que yo pudiera disfrutarlos: Primero el autor que en su cabeza tenía una historia y la plasmó en papel; segundo el traductor que logra que la obra se renueve en otro idioma, con ideas que el autor tuvo pero con palabras que el traductor puso; tercero el intérprete, en este caso usted, que le da su impronta, su forma de entonar cada palabra que el autor y el traductor pusieron, pero dándole un nuevo toque personal, muy agradable, debo decir.
Por eso creo que hay tres autores conjuntos del audiolibro, cada uno de los cuales da una nueva dimensión a la historia.
Piense usted que cuando Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley en la última arenga de vuestro homónimo a los marineros dijo que "Habló Frankenstein con voz tan acomodada a los diferentes sentimientos que expresaba..." seguramente escuchó en su mente vuestra interpretación de la misma.
Verdaderamente, no sé si fue por este audiolibro o si lo mismo hubiera sentido de leer el texto original, me puse del lado del monstruo y renegué del doctor que siempre supo que su criatura estaba llevando adelante una venganza porque el le había hecho el mal en primer término.
Pero ya es demasiado. Perdón por mis molestias. Si tiene algún consejo récnico para alguien que piensa en ser voluntario, se lo agradeceré.
MUCHAS GRACIA una vez más. Y lo sigo oyendo...

All of Victor's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for maurice (maurice) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
It is so refreshing to listen to someone who not only understands the text but can cadence the thoughts within it, instead of just the words. Please do more philosophy. I will be buying Delphi Classics Complete Hegel when it comes out this year.

All of maurice's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for sjmarky (Mark Nelson) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Hi Mark,

I wanted to let you know how delighted I was to find your superb
narration of "Jurgen, A Comedy of Justice" by James Branch Cabell.
https://librivox.org/jurgen-a-comedy-of-justice-by-james-branch-cabell/

Your pacing and nuanced rendering were perfect. You struck just the
right tone for this remarkable book.

Thank you -- and I look forward to hearing more LibriVox books read by
you again!

All of Mark's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for gypsygirl (Karen Savage) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Karen Savage,
I am recently retired and very much enjoying life here in Sunny Queensland.
One particular pleasure is that I now have more time for the wonderful world of audiobooks!
I am presently fixated on Jane Austen, and my delight in her books is increased immensely by your wonderful readings! I can listen to you all day!
Listening, I can so easily imagine Jane’s world; I can picture each character almost as though I am watching them in real life.
I am onto the last book, Mansfield Park, and and very much hoping that I can find other classics in the same genre voiced by you which I can listen to next.
I am not in the habit of writing “fan mail”, in fact this is probably only about the second time in my life that I have done such a thing. However I am getting so much pleasure from your readings, and am so admiring of your talent, that I just needed to thank you and to send you my very best wishes for a happy life!
Sincerely,
Julie
Queensland
Australia
and...
Dear Karen,

I am so thankful for your readings of Mansfield Park and Anne of Green Gables!
You read beautifully, with the perfect expression and inflection. Myself and my children LOVE listening to you.

Thank you for your work!

All of Karen's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
MattyG

Post by MattyG »

icequeen wrote: November 30th, 2018, 10:31 pm Praise received for MattyG (Matthew James Gray) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Thank you Matthew for taking the time to read Religious Affections I have listened walking the dog, on my commute to work and flying on a plane. I was challenged by the book and listened to multiple chapters twice. Thanks again for your excellent reading.

All of Matthew's recordings!
Thanks for that. :) I also did one for Legamus: Chesterton's biography of St Francis of Assisi - https://legamus.eu/blog/?p=368 .

I'm hoping to sneak out another Librivox book next year, too. :)
“We are like dwarves on the shoulders of giants; we see more things than the ancients, but not because of the sharpness of our sight, or the greatness of our stature, but because we are raised by their giant mass.” (Bernard of Chartres, 12th Century)
ahab

Post by ahab »

Len, Jordan and Aaron -- thanks so much for these kind words! I'm very happy that you enjoyed the recording.

Best wishes,
Stewart
icequeen wrote: November 30th, 2018, 10:12 pm Praise received for ahab (Stewart Wills) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hi Stewart

I just finished listening to your recording of Melville's Moby Dick.

What a thrilling book!

You have brought the language, the
passion, the journey and the madness
of the time, the story and the chase
into a most rich listening experience.

What an epic piece of writing and equally,
what an epic piece of work your recording is.

Bravo! and thank you!!

Len

and...
Thank you, Stewart! What an amazing job you did reading this. This was my first LibroVox book, and I was so impressed. I was expecting an amateur reading but you were nothing but! I particularly liked your Stub voice, but you really made the whole book come alive. I’ve finally fulfilled a long time goal of mine to read this book which I was assigned in High School, but could never get past the first sentence “Call me Ishmael”...... I must have read that sentence a thousand times. Well....I now know more about whales and whaling than I ever thought possible, and I know a bit more about philosophy too.

Jordan

and...

Dear Stewart Wills and everyone else who helped produce Moby Dick,

Thank you! Outstanding production! Really made my drive to New York and back so pleasurable.

Sincerely,
Aaron

All of Stewart's recordings!
redaer

Post by redaer »

Die Hochzeit des Mönchs
https://librivox.org/die-hochzeit-des-moenchs-by-conrad-ferdinand-meyer/

Gut vorgelesen!
Dank für dieses Hörbuch, Eva.

Grüße

PM sent to EvaK
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Ragnar (Ragnar) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Hallo Ragnar,

Vielen Dank für Deine "Die Anarchisten".

Ich hatte viel Freude an Deiner Aufnahme,
und duch das Werk selbst auch jetzt eine
tiefere Erkenntnis über das Thema selbst.

Wenn Du es nicht hier als Hörbuch vorgelesen hättest,
hätt ichs sicher nie gelesen und was dabei gelernt.

Respekt fürs Durchhalten, und für Deine harte Arbeit !

Hab einen schönen Tag,

Michael.

All of Ragnar's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for Helsbelles (Helen Taylor) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

I've enjoyed listening to this recording:

https://librivox.org/vanity-fair-version-2-by-william-makepeace-thackeray/

The reading is quite professional and really brings the novel to life.
My thanks for all the time and effort that went into this.
and...
https://librivox.org/the-enchanted-april-version-2-by-elizabeth-von-arnim/

Thank you so very much for a pleasant reading of "The Enchanted April". I am sight impaired and enjoyed the movie of this book years ago. I just found it listed on Librivox and enjoyed your reading as much or perhaps more than I did the film.

Thank you again,
Linda

All of Helen's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for miketheauctioneer (John W. Michaels) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Thank you Mike for your excellent narration, especially the Zane Grey novels. You bring the narrative to life in ways that actually reading the book could not. Your voice is so well modulated and resonant that I feel like I’m in the narrative with you. The sound system in my Tesla model 3 is excellent, and it seems like you’re reading to me in my study. Many, many thanks. Please keep going!!

Kind regards,

Peter

All of John's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for bgdavid (David Clarke) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

For his phenomenal reading of The Count of Monte Cristo (Version 3)

https://librivox.org/the-count-of-monte-cristo-version-3-by-alexandre-dumas/

This is the book that began my journey of listening to the works of Alexander Dumas (and getting back into literature again in general). I am now finishing listening to the Vicomte de Bragelonne in the Three Musketeers series. Thank you!

All of David's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for tux753 (Tux) from our 'Thank a reader' feature:

Agradecimiento al lector de Trafalgar, página https://librivox.org/trafalgar-by-benito-perez-galdos/

Por motivos en los que no voy a extenderme, porque no son relevantes para mi empresa, no me es posible leer todo lo que yo quisiera, pero sí dispongo mucho tiempo ocioso que entretengo con diferentes menesteres. He comenzado a escuchar su grabación de Trafalgar, libro que ya había tenido el placer de disfrutar hace muchos años y no puedo dejar de agradecerle su dedicación. Me produce tanto placer su relato, que lo pospongo y lo dilato, sufriendo por adelantado el momento en el que se termine. Sinceramente, muchas, muchas gracias.

Juan

All of Tux's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Praise received for jesse76 (Jesse Zuba) from our 'Thank a reader' feature regarding his recording of Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

The time you expended on this endeavor has not been spent without merit. This book, and your wonderful reading of it, has made an indelible impression on my soul.

Thank you Jesse!

All of Jesse's recordings!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!