'Thank You' messages for LibriVox readers - continued

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Praise for gypsygirl (Karen Savage) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
Pimpernel by ank savage was superb in her reading I loved the experience thank you so much
Dear Librivox admin,

Please do pass on my thanks to Ms. Karen Savage for doing such an excellent work in reading the book "A little princess" https://librivox.org/a-little-princess-by-frances-hodgson-burnett-2/
I am new to Librivox and one of my friends suggested this. This is the first book I am listening to from Librivox and I was wonderfully surprised by the quality of reading and recording. I thoroughly enjoyed the audio book. Karen's narration brought the little girl Sara to life. Thank you :)

Chandrika
Well hello.

ive never done this so not too sure how it works. i just wanted to say a very sincere thank you for your readings. I live in south africa, in a city called pretoria and work in johannesburg. it's a pretty hairy drive through every day but i've been listening to your readings of the scarlet pimpernel and the elusive pimpernel and they've made it a drive i kind of look forward to doing. the way you read is such a pleasure to listen to and your voice is wonderful. thank you again for all your hard work. it has made the world of difference to my entire day every day.

so much thank yous.

David.
All of Karen's recordings
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Praise for Algy Pug (Algy Pug) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Librivox
I have listened to Thought Vibration, or The Law of Attraction in the Thought World by William Walker Atkinson a number of times as read by Algy Pug. He is an amazing vocalist and wonderful control and projection.

Thank you

Respectfully,

Felicia
Thought Vibration
All of Algy's recordings
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Praise for petibson (Peter of Buckinghamshire England) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
Oh I wish you'd do more readings! Absolutely wonderful reader. Thank you so very much!!
All of Peter's recordings
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Praise for ezwa (Ezwa) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
I would like to thank Ezwa for
Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot Gallon VILLENEUVE (c.1695 - 1755)
La Belle et la Bête
https://librivox.org/la-belle-et-la-bete-by-gabrielle-suzanne-barbot-gallon-de-villeneuve-1004/

Ezwa,

J'ai voulu dire merci pour enregistre les livres en français. J'aime beaucoup votre choix des livres et j'ai écouté plusieurs. J'essai d'améliorée ma française et je apprécie avoir des livres que j'aime écouté.

Theresa
All of Ezwa's recordings
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Praise for tim bulkeley (Tim Bulkeley) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
Grateful thanks to Tim Bulkeley for his wonderful reading of "Their Mutual Child," by P.G. Wodehouse! I especially loved his voicing of little Bill.
Pam
Their Mutual Child
All of Tim's recordings
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Praise for madera (Xe Sands) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Maderia,

You have such a wonderful voice. I have tried to search for books read by you, but could not find any. You read so perfectly, I can only imagine the time you put into this project. Thank you for providing enjoyment for so many.

All the best,
Janet
Buttered Side Down
All of Xe's recordings

I have directed the listener to your catalog page -ck
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Praise for bropops4 (Malone) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
I'm a young graduate student in the field of classics, and I LOVE Malone's recording of the Aeneid in its native Latin. He perfectly renders the meter in real time, even pausing slightly at the caesurae and faultlessly eliding at all the proper times: a rare talent indeed. Even in grad school, I've had classmates who thought scanning a line in real time without taking time to mark long and short syllables beforehand was impossible. Mr. (Or probably Dr., noting his accomplishment in the language) Malone proves to us all that it is possible, even to do so artfully. Thank you for what must have been scores of hours spent in the noble enterprise of translating the classical tradition into the digital age.
Aeneidis, Libri XII
All of Malone's recordings
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Praise for mermaid (Mil Nicholson) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Ms. Nicholson,

I have been marathon-listening to your recordings of Charles Dickens novels beginning with Dombey and Son, then Nicholas Nickleby, and then Our Mutual Friend, while knitting most of the time during those 112 hours.I have enjoyed every minute of it!

I love your reading style and your use of different voices for all the characters. The voices were so perfect that many times I knew which character was speaking before it was revealed in the novel. I laughed out loud A LOT, especially during Dombey and Son which I now believe is Dickens' most underrated novel, thanks to your excellent reading. (Mrs. Chick and Mrs. Skewton! MY SIDES!!!)

I hope you're planning to do some more solo works for Librivox. I could give you a loooooong list of books if you're taking requests! :)

Thank you so much for all the hours that you put into these projects. They are very much appreciated. In case you haven't seen it yet, a few of us in the Librivox Facebook group were discussing your work, and many of us agree that you are one of the Librivox greats!

Yours truly,
Holly
All of Mil's recordings
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Praise for dlslider (Darren L. Slider) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
I want to thank you for this tremendous work of reading St. Augustine's City of God. You read excellently. I am a construction worker and father of six and would never have been able to read this otherwise than in audio. It's on my Ipod. The way you read this book makes me want to ask: Are you a Catholic?, And if so, what flavor?

Gratefully yours,
Joseph
The City of God
All of Darren's recordings
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Praise for illycat (ilianthe) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hi, just listened to the first slice of the Magic pudding and really enjoyed it. Brings back happy memories. Thank you to the reader!

Elaine (8D)
The Magic Pudding
All of ilianthe's recordings
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Praise for MaryAnnSpiegel (MaryAnn) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
Thanks so much to Mary Ann Spiegel for the reading of Anna Karenina. I simply can't fathom her dedication, patience, and good will. I'm very proud of myself for having "read" this work, which was on my list for many years. And of course I couldn't have done it without Ms. Spiegel.

Joel
All of MaryAnn's recordings
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Praise for sjmarky (Mark Nelson) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
I have been listening to Librivox for quite a while, and I just love it. Big thanks to all the readers, but especially Mark Nelson. I love his choices of literature, and his voice is just perfect. You got me hooked on the Gods of Mars series! https://librivox.org/the-gods-of-mars-version-3-by-edgar-rice-burroughs/

Thanks!

JH
The Gods of Mars
All of Mark's recordings
Carolin
bropops4

Post by bropops4 »

Carolin wrote:Praise for bropops4 (Malone) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
I'm a young graduate student in the field of classics, and I LOVE Malone's recording of the Aeneid in its native Latin. He perfectly renders the meter in real time, even pausing slightly at the caesurae and faultlessly eliding at all the proper times: a rare talent indeed. Even in grad school, I've had classmates who thought scanning a line in real time without taking time to mark long and short syllables beforehand was impossible. Mr. (Or probably Dr., noting his accomplishment in the language) Malone proves to us all that it is possible, even to do so artfully. Thank you for what must have been scores of hours spent in the noble enterprise of translating the classical tradition into the digital age.
Thank you very much for your kind words. The praise is especially gratifying, since it comes from someone who clearly knows what he/she is listening to, much like a jazzer asking, "Did you hear that flatted ninth in the turnaround?" I'm not quite sure what has led me to be able to do it. I read most of Homer out loud when I was a graduate student at Berkeley (that was the 60's), I got a lot out of Terence Turnbull's Colloquia at the University of Kentucky, where one always reads Latin out loud and speaks it to the exclusion of any other language, and I am a not particularly good jazz musician (tenor sax), so I always hear a drummer and a bass player. I mean, Stevie Wonder singing, "You are the sunshine of my life". There's a great dactylic line with caesura in the fourth foot, right? Want an elision, how about the Rolling Stones, "Talkin' bout my girl". But I'm getting far afield here.

There are some wondrous stories associated with the making of that recording of the Aeneid. If you're curious, contact me, [email address removed by admin], or you can find some stuff about me at a blog run by John Guy Laplante (Google the name). In studiis vitaque tua, omnia tibi bene eveniant. malone

Aeneidis, Libri XII
All of Malone's recordings
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Praise for ExEmGe (Andy Minter) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
I would like to pass on my compliments to ANDY MINTER for his expressive reading of "The Matador of the Five Towns and other stories".

I am enjoying reading and listening to these underappreciated tales so much I wonder why I have left is so long. Thank you Andy. Your Potteries accent is a bit rubbish but it takes a Stokie to notice.

Thank you again
Kind regards
Patricia
Thank you so much for narrating some of the best classics ever written. You have chosen some truly great authors and I enjoy listening to your productions more than any other narrator. I have a request and suggestion, "The Incredulity of Father Brown" by G.K. Chesterton.

I'm American myself, but I received my graduate degree in medieval and 19th century British literature. All the other Father Brown collections have been read and reread on every audiobook platform there is--except for this collection. Being American as I previously informed you, I find it incredibly helpful to be able to listen to rather than read this genre of books as they use phrases and sentence structures rarely used on this side of the ocean :)

Thank you again for your exceedingly professional, generous, and artistic contributions to librivox.
Respectfully,
Meghan
All of Andy's recordings
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Praise for bvon (Brian von Dedenroth) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
I just got through listening to Don Quixote - https://librivox.org/don-quixote-vol-2-by-miguel-de-cervantes-saavedra/

I've listened to a few books now and I believe you are, hands down, the most talented reader I've heard so far. Most readers are enjoyable, yes, with very pleasant voices. But when I got to your chapters in Don Quixote and you did your take on Sancho, you made him come alive. I absolutely laughed out loud and was sooooo disappointed you'd only read two chapters; I wish you'd done the whole book!! Thank you thank you thank you!!

...did I mention you were really, really good?
All of Brian's recordings
Carolin