old and current debates made easily acessible in the wiki

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Yakumo

Post by Yakumo »

I was thinking just now, that many topics come up again and again in the forums, much of the time old information is continually repeated. These discussion do produce new developments for librivox as time progresses however.

I suggest that we create a wiki section of important discussions that have passed and the prevailing consensus that has been reached. Or we could make them easily accessible in some other way. After reading those discussions, if a user has something that he may contribute to it, which would bring new light to an old consensus, he may easily respond to those forum posts.

This would not be mandatory, but it should be easy for people to familiarize themselves with discussions that have occured before their arival here. As librivox gets older, it will become increasingly necessary to inform new volunteers of what has been discussed before.
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

that;s a good idea. for headings, some controversal topics are:

1. recording "standards"
should all readers get to read for LV or should we take only "good" readers?
ANSWER: all readers should get to read for LV (caveat: must be understandable).

2. public domain vs creative commons
ANSWER: public domain

3. rating system
ANSWER: we won't have an official LV rating policy.

others?
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

i LOVE those answers
Anita
kri

Post by kri »

You know though, one of the things a responsible forum-user does is use the search function on the forum when they have a question or want to raise what they think is a new issue. I don't think that people are going to search for these resolved issues in the wiki, because it just isn't something you'd expect to need to do. If they don't take the time to search for the topic they're mentioning, they won't take the time to find it elsewhere.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

kri wrote:You know though, one of the things a responsible forum-user does is use the search function on the forum when they have a question or want to raise what they think is a new issue.
There's a search button??????? :o :oops:

I guess I'm not the only one who misses it :oops:
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
kri

Post by kri »

Starlite wrote:
kri wrote:You know though, one of the things a responsible forum-user does is use the search function on the forum when they have a question or want to raise what they think is a new issue.
There's a search button??????? :o :oops:

I guess I'm not the only one who misses it :oops:
You learn something new every day! :)
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

hugh wrote: 3. rating system
ANSWER: we won't have an official LV rating policy.
hmmm... I thought that our offical LV rating policy is that we don't want to rate recordings because it might hurt people's feelings...

another issue:
LV database
Answer: It is currently being aggressivly and thoughtfully developed =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
Yakumo

Post by Yakumo »

I would agree with the self relience aproach were librivox a political institution, in such a case, you would be dealing with issues from a moral standpoint and any one source would bias you. The only way to find out what you think would be to dig up information youself. That would be a major part of your responsibility as a citizen. As member or potential memeber of the librivox community however, visitors and memebers will apreciate accesibility and ease of use. any one who is interested in librivox will look at the wiki where we house all the information necessary to get going fast. There are a few key discussions that are either closed or posibly open for further expansion and discussion. The search function will return dozens of posts and make it much more time consuming for a user to find exactly what they want to know.

=) just my two cents.
kri

Post by kri »

Yakumo wrote:I would agree with the self relience aproach were librivox a political institution, in such a case, you would be dealing with issues from a moral standpoint and any one source would bias you. The only way to find out what you think would be to dig up information youself. That would be a major part of your responsibility as a citizen. As member or potential memeber of the librivox community however, visitors and memebers will apreciate accesibility and ease of use. any one who is interested in librivox will look at the wiki where we house all the information necessary to get going fast. There are a few key discussions that are either closed or posibly open for further expansion and discussion. The search function will return dozens of posts and make it much more time consuming for a user to find exactly what they want to know.

=) just my two cents.
Actually Yakumo, my point was that if a user doesn't bother to find the answer to their question using the search, I find it unlikely that they will find the answer in the Wiki. The wiki is no more findable than the search link, unless someone specifically points out a link that may help you. By that time they've already asked the question.
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

I'm curious what you'd like to see in such a page of stuff, Yakumo?

Oh, Betsie, I like how hugh says "won't" -- LV won't have a rating thingy. That's what I love about that answer! As simple as LV won't have banner ads or ... record copyright work. Even *I* can't complicate it! :D
Anita
Yakumo

Post by Yakumo »

how about this for now, untill it gets resolved.

librivox cd service.

Answer: bassed on current servay results, it looks like a probable no.
Yakumo

Post by Yakumo »

Actually Yakumo, my point was that if a user doesn't bother to find the answer to their question using the search, I find it unlikely that they will find the answer in the Wiki. The wiki is no more findable than the search link, unless someone specifically points out a link that may help you. By that time they've already asked the question.
in that case, it could be made more obvious. The wiki is one of the first places people should go. prominently displaying a link to the librivox wiki as a fifth button on the front page would do the trick. Alternativly, someone could add a link to the wiki on the volunteer page through the button on the front page.
kristin

Post by kristin »

kri wrote: I find it unlikely that they will find the answer in the Wiki. The wiki is no more findable than the search link, unless someone specifically points out a link that may help you. By that time they've already asked the question.
I have to agree with this as I have on occation read something that said 'there is a page for that in the wiki' but no link was given. I then realised I can't even figure out how to get to the wiki without finding another link to something random in the wiki and once there try to get to the information I wanted. I have yet to succeed in that. :roll: Maybe I'm just wiki-challenged but I would imagine there are others here who haven't quite figured it out yet either.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

If not a wiki, why not a thread specifically listing "completed" discussions? The thread would hold short descriptions of the subject and the result of the discussion plus a pointer to the discussion itself.

I do find that using the search function involves use of the forum in a completely different way to normal; I'm sure many people don't see the Search or think of it as a way to find out what's been said.

... and the advantage of making the discussions explicit in this way is that the subjects are easily visible. You can only search for what you're already interested in. If we list the subjects, readers may see subjects they'd not even considered.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Yakumo

Post by Yakumo »

=)