old and current debates made easily acessible in the wiki

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Peter Why wrote:If not a wiki, why not a thread specifically listing "completed" discussions? The thread would hold short descriptions of the subject and the result of the discussion plus a pointer to the discussion itself.
Peter

I think thats a great idea! Kind of an FAQ format? I was looking at the FAQ for librivox in the very first post of the forum and think that style would work great. :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

one thing to do, any time there is a controversial issue here, is to look at our objective and try to decide which way that directs us:

LV Objective:
"To make all books in the public domain available, for free, in audio format on the internet."

implied in free is "public domain;" and implied in "audio format" is "human-read."

this often helps answer many questions.
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

a.r.dobbs wrote:Oh, Betsie, I like how hugh says "won't" -- LV won't have a rating thingy. That's what I love about that answer! As simple as LV won't have banner ads or ... record copyright work. Even *I* can't complicate it! :D
oh "won't" .... I could have sworn it said "don't" ... what a difference a letter makes.... and paying attention hehe.... ok... I'm a bit square lately =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

A lot of these questions ARE addressed in various formats throughout the forum, wiki, and LV website.... there isn't a single location for the answers when we are maintaining so many different formats for disseminating information... people don't know where to look first...

Example:
In my group project threads, I have to post 3 different links (see below) for recording information!!! I don't have time to read through them all to figure out which one is the best, so I just post them all and leave it up to the reader to figure out where to find the answers... but if they have a question, I'm always happy to answer it =) But I also believe that it is important to have many different formats for the information since there are so many different types of people using LibriVox ...and everyone learns in a different way... some people will go straight for the posts on the forum that say "Read Me!" ... some will stumble across the LVwiki and spend a day just browsing it... and others will just ask and receive an answer from a friendly/helpful LV member =)

These are all valid and effective methods as long as we are vigilant about cross-referencing resources.

=)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

and once again, this is the nice thing about the wiki - as long as someone thinks some useful info should be in there, all they have to do is add it there.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Okay, I'll set up a wiki page, if I can find a suitable from which to link to it. The outlines of the discussions will, of course, be my take on the situation. Please feel free to add to or change them.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
kri

Post by kri »

Thanks for doing that Peter :) Hopefully it will be easier to find pages like this in the future. We're trying to work out revamping the front page of the wiki to include all the new pages that have cropped up.
Yakumo

Post by Yakumo »

thank you peter.

I have never used the wiki, but I have glanced at the wiki newbee guide and it seems simple enough. let me know how I can help.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I've made a small start; I've worked through the oldest Off-Topic page and a little way into the following one. Not just discussions; I thought they could be specially marked up or separated out when they turn up.

http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/ForumThreads

Perhaps something like that? Though it will need to be linked in, perhaps under Miscellaneous in the "immutable" Welcome page?

Yakumo, feel free to suggest changes to the format. I couldn't see any sensible way to order the threads, and prefer random access for small groups of items, anyway; you're more likely to find something you weren't expecting.

Especially suggest any threads which you think could be added ... but better, ask how to add them yourself.

Peter
tina

Post by tina »

How about a link to the Wiki (to a suitable 'launch' page, where a newbie can browse for information) in the forum header (near the link back to the LV home page)? I think when I first got started, I found the wiki by clicking from someone's signature link, and then it took me ages to work out how to navigate it.
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/TinaTilney/]Tina's Wiki Page[/url] | I can receive files by [url=http://www.pando.com/]pando.com[/url]
kri

Post by kri »

tina wrote:How about a link to the Wiki (to a suitable 'launch' page, where a newbie can browse for information) in the forum header (near the link back to the LV home page)? I think when I first got started, I found the wiki by clicking from someone's signature link, and then it took me ages to work out how to navigate it.
Yeah, the navigation is a problem and I'm trying to see if we can re-organize the front page of the wiki. I think we originally didn't make it more prominent because it was new and we wanted to make sure we had enough information up there. We should definitely work on making it more prominent, but we're also hopefully soon going to have a re-vampt LV catalog/main page with the database.
kri

Post by kri »

OK, what do you think of my additions?

http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/ForumThreads

I added some of the controversial issues.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Yes, that's fine; we might want to separate the frivolous and serious onto separate pages if we accumulate too many entries.

Pete
Yakumo

Post by Yakumo »

It looks good, but I think the "recording without a computer link" should be placed with or tied into the recording notes or newbie guide. After all, we want to give volunteers as many options as possible and I think those other options would be more accessible if they were tied in to something related instead of random.
Yakumo

Post by Yakumo »

ah! just figured out another important discussion to add. The Librivox and wikipedia debate.

I can add it myself if some kind volunteers will give me some pointers. The wiki guide tells me how to log on and edit a page, but is there something more of a procedure to the process? Standard formating perhaps? Using the search function to locate the discussion?