Send CDs to the Troops via AnySoldier.com

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
ndoo

Post by ndoo »

I don�t know if you�ve heard about AnySoldier.com, but they are a volunteer based community, which supports the troops. Personal feelings of the war aside, if you are interested in supporting the people themselves, you might want to contribute. They live under harsh conditions and a little entertainment goes a long way.

I just sent an e-mail to the site creator telling him about Librivox, so that he could alert his volunteers and, hopefully, the troops that they can download or stream free audio books on-line. For those troops that do not have internet access (or limited access), volunteers could send CDs they�ve burned themselves of Librivox recordings to the address listed on the site. There are rules to follow and you must be careful about how you package the material, so read the site guidelines completely.

AnySoldier is not a government or military organization. It is a grass roots organization inspired by a soldier who noticed that there were soldiers who received little or no mail or care packages from home. It expanded to help individuals and units lacking every day items that we take for granted.

Again, if you don�t support the war, but still support the troops, you may want to help. There are also more ways to contribute, if you so desire. Many times, requests are posted for school supplies and toys to distribute to the local children, as well.

From AnySoldier�s site:
�We strongly suggest that if you send any CDs or DVDs, use a permanent magic marker and simply put "AnySoldier.com" on both the cover and CD/DVD.�

For more information, visit: http://AnySoldier.com

-Nikolle
kayray

Post by kayray »

Nikolle, that's a wonderful idea. Thank you for contacting them for us! Let us know the outcome.
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
ndoo

Post by ndoo »

The President of AnySoldier.com responded to me this morning and he thought it was a "VERY interesting idea." He said he was going to look into this and may use it.

I'm so glad that a simple e-mail may lead to a lot of good. There are, of course, many other organizations that could benefit from free audio books, as well.

-Nikolle
kri

Post by kri »

I enjoy the thought of starting a volunteer base to send CDs as part of this project.
ndoo

Post by ndoo »

Kara and Kri,

I'm glad you both like the idea. I don't know exactly how they want to handle it at AnySoldier.com. I?m hoping they?ll announce it somewhere on the site where the soldiers will find it. I think they?re going to go through this site and verify what I told them; and then think about how they want to present the idea. I may e-mail them again letting them know that some of the volunteers here are interested in helping out.

There are many efforts out on the web; and, in particular, groups sending care packages to wounded soldiers. They need comfort also--obviously. AnySoldier has links to such groups.

I?ll try to post more info., as I find it. For now, anyone who wants, can post ideas, thoughts, questions; and go to AnySoldier.com to see where they might want to send CDs and just start doing it.

There may be a logistical issue, as it?s not quite like a wedding gift registry where items already sent are indicated. Keep in mind that it takes about a month for them to receive packages. Also, I don't want us to publicly post military contact info. here. All that should be kept on AnySoldier. So, don?t say, I?m going to send a CD to Sergeant So-And-So at this Military address. Bad idea.

Still, it could be as simple as a volunteer burning one book, or filling up one CD with short stories, or a poetry collection. They should be of good quality. Package them properly. Anyone who has ideas about proper packaging can post that. I think we should include either a sticker to affix to a paper CD sleeve, or print out an insert for a CD cover, (which can be on regular paper-just cut to fit). I could fiddle with some templates for that. It should mention librivox.org and that it's in the public domain, etc. Especially so that they know they can find us on-line, if they have access and can download, or stream through the flash player.

I?ll work on it and then, when I have something, I?ll post a link to show you what I mean. This, of course, could apply to more causes than this. In fact, I would like to propose that we have a main forum for charities, or other humanitarian groups, which could benefit from knowing about Librivox and to which we, and others, could send CDs (or, in the very least just notify them that they can download from this site). I would feel good knowing that all our collective hard work is getting into the hands of people who especially need a distraction from hardship. For instance, cancer patients who could listen to a free audio book, while undergoing treatment; and so forth. (I don?t know every inch of this site, so pardon me, if someone else has already posted such a concept).

That?s my brainstorming for now. I invite suggestions.

Thanks,
Nikolle
kri

Post by kri »

Nikolle, check out this thread where we've been discussing sending CDs to a New Orleans library: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2500

We've already discussed some of the packaging issues you've mentioned. It's towards the last few pages of the thread that we discuss sending the CDs.
ndoo

Post by ndoo »

kri wrote:Nikolle, check out this thread where we've been discussing sending CDs to a New Orleans library: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2500

We've already discussed some of the packaging issues you've mentioned. It's towards the last few pages of the thread that we discuss sending the CDs.
The designs are quite stunning for the CD covers. I don't know if I missed it, but is there a bare-bones cover template that doesn't involve graphics? I ask this, because I'll bet a number of people don't have color printers, or want to run out of ink by printing them out. Not that I'm anti those covers--they're great. I'm just thinking that if someone were printing out a cover, or sticker, for several CDs, they may not want to push their printer's usage too much. (Just as they would probably prefer using regular paper).

I think it would be great to have both options to suit the needs of the various individuals involved. Some may not be up to creating a cover for the ones that don't have a design yet. Also, if they use paper sleeves, they won't be using a cover. I don't want to deter people from sending them, if they don't want to print out covers. In fact, I'd rather they just write the title on them with a marker than not send them at all, if heavy printing would stop them.

I figure, if you're already living in a tent in the desert, you probably won't quibble about the cover design. Please don't misconstrue that as my discouraging anyone from providing one. They are quite good. If you can, great! If you can't, that should be OK too. The point is to get the material there; and include librivox.org to let them know they can get more audio books there. That will be in the audio, but the spelling might help some to find it.

There's a lot more involved in putting these CDs together than I thought at first. It looks like mp3 CDs may not be a good idea, because they may not play for everyone. However, audio CDs will require more CDs to burn, because of space issues. To print a graphic-heavy cover, or not to print...that is also the question? I know that there are soldiers who do have ipods and at least access to a computer (if not their own), if that makes a difference. However, not all do. Here's the rub. Darn that rub. Well, I'll follow the other thread to learn of developments.

In the meantime, those who want to proceed ought to do so. It may take some time before all the projects have covers. So, if all you have is a marker and a paper CD cover, burn away. Just package them well, when mailing, because these things will be battered around considerably, so inserting cardboard around them will help.

I?ll reflect on this some more.

Thanks,
Nikolle
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Kri posted some links in that thread for origami cd covers and I will paste them here for you:

http://www.tgries.de/origami/
http://www.ros.co.nz/cdwallet/

I hope these help :D
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
ndoo

Post by ndoo »

Starlite wrote:Kri posted some links in that thread for origami cd covers and I will paste them here for you:

http://www.tgries.de/origami/
http://www.ros.co.nz/cdwallet/

I hope these help :D
Thanks, Starlite, I'll try them out.

-Nikolle
kri

Post by kri »

Oh, and I only referenced that thread as a resource when considering CD cover design, and creation and stuff. I wasn't necessarily saying you had to use those CD covers, or even use anything of that quality and work.
ndoo

Post by ndoo »

kri wrote:Oh, and I only referenced that thread as a resource when considering CD cover design, and creation and stuff. I wasn't necessarily saying you had to use those CD covers, or even use anything of that quality and work.
I understood you and appreciated your reference. I'm not sure of your tone, but if I somehow made you think I was shooting down your suggestion, I sincerely beg your pardon. I'm just considering the obstacles and trying to reassure those that can't print those covers out that they can proceed with something simple too--that the recipients wouldn't mind about such details, when they're in need of the entertainment.

This is essentially a solo project for volunteers to execute it, as they wish. Just something they might want to consider. They can take what works for them and leave what doesn't. I simply concluded that, if it's a burden, then do something easy. All the covers aren't designed yet also. If one wants to do it now, they shouldn't let the lack of a cover design stop them. Just mentioning to the soldiers that they can get more audio books on-line (if they have access and bandwidth) was my main goal.

As I read in the other thread, I noted issues with file types; and that became more important than covers. If people can?t burn them, because they require too many CDs (wav versus mp3), then they won?t need any covers, in any case.

It would be great if everyone could print out those beautiful designs, burn numerous CDs, put them in cases, and afford the packaging and postage. If they can?t, maybe they can prioritize what they can do; and may still be able to send a CD to someone somewhere?even just one CD of poetry. Ideally, we wouldn?t have to burn any CDs and everyone could download the files off of the web.

These are all good ideas. Thank you for your help.
kri

Post by kri »

Nikolle, if this idea were to go anywhere, I think it would need someone to champion the cause. Someone to help those who wish to send the CDs figure out just how they're supposed to do it, give tips and suggestions, etc. This is just my suggestion, because I feel if you just throw it out there as a suggestion you won't get very many to jump up and do it :)

My tone was...well I thought...I guess I was just trying to clarify my reasoning for posting the link, and misunderstood your response to it :)
ndoo

Post by ndoo »

kri wrote:...to help those who wish to send the CDs figure out just how they're supposed to do it, give tips and suggestions, etc. This is just my suggestion, because I feel if you just throw it out there as a suggestion you won't get very many to jump up and do it :)
Kri,

I'm going to do an outline of how a volunteer can get involved and try to address as many of the logistical issues as I can think of, because you're absolutely right, people may have trouble understanding the AnySoldier process. The whole military aspect may intimidate some. That's understandable.

I am willing to help people get started. Once they understand the dos and don?ts, it won?t be that difficult. Should a wiki page be started for this? I could also put something up on my own site, as well.

Thanks for your thoughts. :)

-Nikolle
kri

Post by kri »

Feel free to start a wiki page for this. That's a great way to show the help information :)
ndoo

Post by ndoo »

I've set up the Wiki page called AnySoldierDonations at: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/AnySoldierDonations

I will work on the FAQs and post them as soon as possible. I'll post here, when I add the info. on the Wiki.

-Nikolle