'Thank you' messages for LibriVox readers

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
DebraLynn

Post by DebraLynn »

I just finished listening to The Window at the White Cat by Mary Roberts Rinehart. http://librivox.org/the-window-at-the-white-cat-by-mary-roberts-rinehart/

I had never heard any recordings by Robert Keiper before but I hope to hear many more. I love Rinehart to begin with, and Robert really brought the characters to life with his expressive reading and voices. I really envy people who can give a different voice to each character and make it sound good. He also knew just the right emphasis to use to really bring out the humor in this delightful mystery story.

Thank you, Robert, and I will be "watching your future career with interest." (In a LibriVox sense.) :D

-Debbie
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=1166][b][color=violet]"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read" (Groucho Marx)[/color][/b][/url]
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Praise for Sue Anderson (Sue Anderson) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Sue Anderson.

May I thank you for your reading of The Story of a Common Soldier
of Army Life in the Civil War- 1861-1865

It remains among my top ten audio books and crops up frequently in
my conversations. I think a woman’s voice speaking in the first person
for a naïve youth enhanced the credibility no end.

I’m a retired man from Leeds in Yorkshire , Eng, and listening to novels
brings me a s much pleasure as reading. Would you believe that I’ve
developed a taste for raw red onions after the way you read out the
enjoyment the hero took in eating his…

So thanks again and be sure it’s an audio book I shall return to in the
future…

Kevin W.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Praise for Andy Minter (ExEmGe) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed Andy Minter’s reading of Some Experiences of an Irish RM. I hadn’t read the book for about 30 years and I had forgotten how funny and clever it was. I was listening to it in bed at night and had to choke back the giggles so I didn’t wake my husband. As I have horses myself I really identified with the horsey chapters.

It was beautifully read as well. I always choose things Andy has recorded as I know I am going to enjoy listening to his mellow voice and fluent reading.

Thank you.

Bobby H.
And more praise for Andy:
Soames has been my companion on my morning walk for some weeks now – many thanks to Andy Minter for making Soames and all his family such entertaining company.

Frank H., Liverpool, UK
And yet more praise!
I really enjoyed your recording of "The Prisoner of Zenda" and "Rupert of Hentzau". The latter I was not familiar with. The first I had read and seen the film versions (although I'm "only" 43, I actually prefer the older one starring Ronald Colman - another lovely voice! - but the one with Stewart Granger is very good as well). I've become totally addicted to audiobooks since I discovered Librivox. (Before they were harder to come by.) A real treat when your hands are busy and you need to keep your mind occupied.
Filomena (Portugal)
Last edited by Gesine on May 16th, 2010, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Praise for Lee Ann Howlett (Claire) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
My kids and I really enjoyed listening to Understood Betsy read by Lee Ann Howlett. Her reading was so enjoyable to listen to, Sometimes we would arrive home before a chapter ended, and we would just sit in the driveway listening to the story on the CD player in the car. A few months after finishing the book, we were listening to the Burgess Animal book, and we heard her voice again. We all let out a little gasp of excitement, because we all missed hearing her readings!

I now found that I can search Librivox by reader, so I will be downloading some of the other books she has read. Keep up the great work! We really enjoy listening :)
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Praise for Annie Coleman (LibraryLady) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hello

My wife and I recently found Librivox.org and have been enjoying the readings by your readers.

One though seems to do particularly well and is identified as Annie Coleman. We are not sure if she is still active, but wanted to let her and your organization know how much we appreciate what she and your organization is doing. As someone who couldn't read or write until later in life I have a unique appreciation for what you are doing and what it means. I have a cousin who is almost 50 and he too cannot read or write, but I have recommended to his wife that she connect with your site and download books for him to hear. I have been told he has become hooked on this because it has opened an entirely new world to him. Actually my wife and I have too, we sit out on our back porch fire in the fireplace and coffee in hand and listen away. We spend about 2-3 hours each evening doing so.

My wife made the comment to me that she enjoys this much more than T.V. because she can visualize for herself the scene, the participants and feels she is not just droning at some show that some director dictated the scene and what it looks and feels like. As a matter of fact we both have the same sentiment. We shared our separate visions and found them to be somewhat different. It was refreshing to share our own thoughts, opinions and feelings about what the reader was reading about. A whole new perspective and with our busy lives reading books was just not enjoyable. Especially for me since reading takes longer for me to achieve to this day. Now with your organization I have great material to listen to as I travel on business which leaves me driving upwards of 1,000 miles at a clip. Having this type of material available for free really makes a difference since commercially available material cost so much. In these tough times it wasn't even considered and option.

So from two sincerely appreciative listeners THANK YOU and thank Annie Coleman for getting us hooked on this media.

Sincerely

Ted
Harrisburg NC
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Praise for Karen Savage (gypsygirl) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hello,

I wanted to say that I thoroughly enjoyed Karen Savage's first three readings in the Anne of Green Gables Series. I couldn't listen to the next one, they just weren't as good! She is a gifted reader and is perfect for the part of Anne.

Please let me know if she does more.

Thanks,

Carol B.
Karen's recordings can be found here.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Praise for Rainer (raynr) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
Rainer,
Thank you for your reading of "The Awful German Language" by Mark Twain. I have been struggling with German myself and it is comforting to know I am not alone. I am now aware of the LibriVox project thanks to you.
Jeremy
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Praise for Ruth Golding (RuthieG) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hello here is a little story about a book that i am still listening too.
The book is After London by Richard Jefferies and it is read wonderfully by RuthieG.
So first of all thank you to Ruth for the pleasure i am experiencing with this book.

I first came across the book at College many years ago, about 1969, when i was studying for my HNC and a part of After London was in an English Language Paper that we used in our English lessons. I tried but without success to order the book but it was out of print.At car boot sales and second hand shops i used to sift through the things for a copy but again to no avail. (I still do actually)

A couple of years later after college i joined/formed a group paying bass guitar and we looked for a name...guess what...we chose, after my suggesion After London. Didn't get anywhere but the name was good at least.

Again many years later, still searching, i came accross After London on the Internet and was able to read the complete book after over twenty five years of reading the one chapter and now, about ten years later i came across LibraVox and to my suprise and joy After London was there in all its glory.
So thank you to LibraVox and to Ruth for such a fantastic reading.
Needless to say it was worth the wait.

I have just joined LibraVox and go under the name of charliesilence

Blessings - Stephen
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Praise for Tom Weiss (y2kdaddio) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
Hi Tom,
I have listened to some of your contributions and have just finish listening to your reading of the chessmen of mars. I really enjoyed it and wanted to say thankyou fir your fantastic efforts. They are really appreciated

Cheers,
Simon
Claire

Post by Claire »

Gesine wrote:Praise for Lee Ann Howlett (Claire) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
My kids and I really enjoyed listening to Understood Betsy read by Lee Ann Howlett. Her reading was so enjoyable to listen to, Sometimes we would arrive home before a chapter ended, and we would just sit in the driveway listening to the story on the CD player in the car. A few months after finishing the book, we were listening to the Burgess Animal book, and we heard her voice again. We all let out a little gasp of excitement, because we all missed hearing her readings!

I now found that I can search Librivox by reader, so I will be downloading some of the other books she has read. Keep up the great work! We really enjoy listening :)
Thank you so much for the kind words! I'm particularly glad to hear that your children enjoyed the reading. :D I sometimes think they're our toughest critics. :wink:

Lee Ann
JohnTRN

Post by JohnTRN »

Gesine wrote:Praise for John Taylor (JohnTRN) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
He has read numerous stories in the Ghost Story collections, and he is my favorite of all the readers. His diction, phrasing, pronunciation, and interpretation are wondrous.

a listener in Madison, Wisconsin
Gesine,

Thank you very much! What a nice compliment. You may be my inspiration to get back on and do some more reading!

Cheers!

John
When in danger,
Or in doubt,
Run in circles,
Scream and shout!

Dell Latitude Windows 10, Audacity/LAME, SamsonTech Q1U USB Mic.
Previously: Dell GX620, Linux Mint Qiana, Audacity/LAME, Cyber Acoustics AC-200 Headset Boom Mic and later, the Q1U USB Mic.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Praise for Mark F. Smith (Kaffen) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
Dear Mr. Smith,
How I enjoyed listening to your reading Lew Walace's book Ben-Hur. The
discourses between characters and description you read with great feelinig.
I'm glad you chose to read the whole book. I've seen the movie of Ben-Hur
but never read or listened to the book. What beautiful writing--story,
characterization, and themes--so much better than the movie could ever be.
Now I'll have to read the book for myself. I've already recommended the book
to many of my friends and will put it on my "Recommended Reading List" for
my students.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Jean B.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Praise for the readers of Greenmantle by John Buchan via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
I enjoyed it very much. There were several readers and they were all a pleasure to hear.

Many thanks for your service.

MPH
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Praise for Mark Nelson (sjmarky) via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
Well done, reader. Enjoyed it [My Man Jeeves] very much. I am a Wodehouse fan and you did it justice.

Thank you,

Mari H.

MPH
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Praise for all volunteers via the 'Thank a reader' feature:
LibriVox Volunteers:

I just found this weekend the website! ... and: It`s a miracle!!!

I´m from Argentina, I´m finishing my major on nursing, working, and long trips all day long, so I found a great resource on LibriVox to practice my english!
Insted of listening just some music on my cel phone, I may enjoy some english audiobooks!!!
Thanks a lot!
Love, Marina O. :)