Why not wap.librivox.org?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Cetz

Post by Cetz »

Hi again!

I'm geting some ideas, when I shold be sleeping, all the time. Someone how knows a way of turning of the brain :wink: ?

But my net went down, and then I was so exited to see if something had happends on my threads, so I try to use my cellphone.

But It was not that good.

So what do you people think about?:
wap.librivox.org
Aldark

Post by Aldark »

It has been a long time since I personally have done anything with phpBB (since you specifically referenced the threads), but if the CSS has a media rule set to handheld that would probably help.

Not sure how this forum would look or function though.

Code: Select all

@media handheld {
   ....insert style babble info...
}
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

please translate! what does wap mean? ;)
Aldark

Post by Aldark »

hugh wrote:please translate! what does wap mean? ;)
Wireless Application Protocol... or... something it used to mean that I'm not saying ;-)
Cetz

Post by Cetz »

My idea whas only to make a version of librivox. Without all the functions, but maybe reading threads and post a message on the active one, and read private message och send some.

It have to be simple!

So when using the cellphone, it can use thats controlls to navigate the page. My problem when I used my cellphone whas that I coun't grip this body. So I was not abel to write anyting in it. And You must write in this form, if not you will be stopped from submiting the form!
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

maybe we should set up a system where you could record your librivox chapters from your cell phone, while driving for instance. ;-)

but can't comment, except that the families of some librivox addicts might not appreciate this move to allow people to access the forum from anywhere at any time ... aghhhh .... ;)
Cetz

Post by Cetz »

hugh wrote:maybe we should set up a system where you could record your librivox chapters from your cell phone, while driving for instance. ;-)

but can't comment, except that the families of some librivox addicts might not appreciate this move to allow people to access the forum from anywhere at any time ... aghhhh .... ;)
:lol: You may be right about that. I shold have been taking the opportunity (wrong spelled) last night and go to bed instead of trying to reach librivox from my cellphone.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Doh! Cetz, when you mentioned a WAP-Librivox, i thought small. Not the forum on the celly. Not recording on the celly.

I understood your idea to offer a reduced cellphone-browser-friendly version of the Librivox Website, so that someone underway, in desperate need of an audiobook, can easily download and/or listen to one.
A website that renders correctly on small resolution displays and reducing the website to the absolutley nescessary information and links..offering quick links to audiobooks. I thought that's a great idea!

I think thats the way Aldark understood it too. Because this could be done rather easily by using a StyleSheet driven website (comming when the cataloge-system is comming?) and an added style-sheet for small scale devices.

Taking the thought further would be to reconsider offering 32kbit mp3s for low bandwidth users.

(Then again, cellphones can run Opera these days. Opera will render any website on small displays even if they are not designed for small displays. I had to say this.)
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/PromotionalMaterial][color=indigo]Want to promote LV? Print the poster and pin it at your library[/color][/url] | [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/Stephan_Moebius][color=indigo]My wiki page[/color][/url]