recomended recording equipment.

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Yakumo

Post by Yakumo »

since the summer has finally come by, I am thinking about getting some good recording equipment. I would like a good quallity headset microphone that is affordable. any recomendations from the librivox crowd?

are there any recomendations posted on the librivox wiki? If there were, I didn't see them.
Huskey

Post by Huskey »

Click on following link for more information:

http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/UserRecommendedEquipment
Von einem gewissen Punkt an gibt es keine Rückkehr mehr. Dieser Punkt ist zu erreichen.
[b]Beyond a certain point there is no return. This point has to be reached.[/b]
- Franz Kafka -
raynr

Post by raynr »

Yakumo wrote:are there any recomendations posted on the librivox wiki? If there were, I didn't see them.
Hello Yakumo,
there is indeed a page in the wiki:
http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/UserRecommendedEquipment
it is very detailed, but if you have any further questions, just ask.

Greetings,
Rainer
"Everything in the world exists in order to end in a book." (Stéphane Mallarmé)
kayray

Post by kayray »

I've read a lot of very positive online reviews for the logitech 250 USB headset, and I just bought one at amazon for $26 and free shipping. If it's as good as they say it is, I may have to change my sig!
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Yakumo

Post by Yakumo »

I just ordered a logitec usb 250 headset this very minute. I expect great things from it, and once I get it, a recording shouldn't be too long in comming.

Since I have tried my hand at editting and thistlechick has not complained about the job I have done(yet) I think the recording and editing process should go smoothly.

Thanks for all the suport folks. =)
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Yakumo wrote:Since I have tried my hand at editting and thistlechick has not complained about the job I have done(yet) I think the recording and editing process should go smoothly.
... because there was nothing to complain about .... you did a great job! =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
ExEmGe

Post by ExEmGe »

I have a logitech USB desktop microphone and have only one complaint with it. It has an on/off switch. When I am getting towards the end of a chapter and glance down to notice that the 'on' light is off, it can be really quite irritating (aka "*%$?!!*")
Regards
Andy Minter
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Hey Andy, I fell for that once too... And I'm not looking forward to the second time!
jimmowatt

Post by jimmowatt »

We had a bit of a recording equipment thread started up in canterbury Tales. Now shifted to here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

diplomat wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I was planning to "normalize" afterwards. Yes, you're right about re-reading it. I'm much better with "normal" books: it's the olde English that stumps you as you read it. The mind's eye makes a much better rendition...

Steve

Phew!
I was worrying I might have put you off.

Have another bash.
Just maybe record prologue again and post it here and I'll have a listen.
Maybe you will decide that Chaucer isn't for you but it's worth having a go and see if we can crack it.
I've done the tale of Sir Thopas if you want to have a listen http://librivox.greenkri.com/uploader/upload.cgi?a=show&file=63616e7465726275727974616c65735f32305f636861756365722e6d7033&big=1

diplomat

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:05 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very nicely done! What software/hardware are you using? I'm using a Logitech USB microphone on my laptop, plus Audacity.

Steve

jimmowatt

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:31 am Post subject:

diplomat wrote:
Very nicely done! What software/hardware are you using? I'm using a Logitech USB microphone on my laptop, plus Audacity.

Steve

That recording was done with a Samson Q1u microphone which helps impart quite a rich sound but, unfortunately I'm finding all my recordings with the Samson, sound as if they have background noise. I've recently gone back to using my Logitech headset which makes the voice tinnier but cuts down the background noise.

I haven't given up on the Samson but I have put it aside for now while I attempt to track down the problem.

diplomat

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:50 am Post subject:

Quote:
That recording was done with a Samson Q1u microphone which helps impart quite a rich sound but, unfortunately I'm finding all my recordings with the Samson, sound as if they have background noise.

Interesting. I was going to buy a Samson C01U microphone a few months back, but never got around to it: it's a little more money but probably a little better. You've probably already tried adjusting the software microphone volume controls, but what software are you using?

Here is an interesting blog on getting the volume levels right (I'll be reading it more later) and compression for audio on a budget (Mac oriented but good for the PC also):

http://digiaudio.blogspot.com
http://digiaudio.blogspot.com/2006/05/great-sound-on-budget-compression-101.html

Steve

diplomat

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:45 am Post subject:

If anyone is looking for a nice FREE audio recording software with lots of features and support for VST plugins (for added functionality), the following is probably the best:

www.kreatives.org/kristal/index.php

Steve

earthcalling

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:47 am Post subject:

diplomat wrote:
I was going to buy a Samson C01U microphone a few months back, but never got around to it: it's a little more money but probably a little better.

I just invested in the C01U a week ago. While it took a while to get the positioning and settings correct (oh, and that entailed also buying a boom stand), I'm now very happy indeed with the results.

Still not quite sure how I'll tackle my chunk of Chaucer, though....

David