Spammers?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
anna

Post by anna »

I'm the son of Anna. She isn't posting this herself.

I noticed you guys are having problems with advertisers spamming up the forum.
I know that php forums have an option where new members have to authenticate their e-mail adresses by activating their acounts trough a link in an e-mail.
Wouldn't this keep the spammers out?
kri

Post by kri »

We tried this before, and there were some problems with it, so we turned off that option. I think the issue was that we didn't know where the e-mail was sent for people with problems with the authentication service. I think the issue can arise with people who have screen readers.

As an alternative, the admins basically spot spam and delete it. We also delete usernames that have questionable profiles.
anna

Post by anna »

Thank you for the quick reply.
I am a member of several online communities that do use it to keep out spammers and wondered why the e-mail authentication wasn't used on these forums.
kri

Post by kri »

anna wrote:Thank you for the quick reply.
I am a member of several online communities that do use it to keep out spammers and wondered why the e-mail authentication wasn't used on these forums.
Sorry I couldn't explain it better, but I wasn't the one who set it up and took it down.
kayray

Post by kayray »

The image authentication system won't work for visually-impaired people, and obviously we try to keep librivox as accesible as possible. I'll pester Chris Goringe to help me figure something out :) We're all sick to death of deleting spammers.
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)