Thankyou buttons

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

That sounds dangerous to me, icyjumbo, simply because someone could click on it and send a bunch of criticism. There would be no oversight.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

icyjumbo wrote:I wonder whether it might be possible for the Thank You button to give the thanker an opportunity to write a message to the reader(s), etc. Not compulsory, of course, but then there would be something to send other than "Someone clicked your thank you button".
Hmmm... but then you are back to all sorts of (negative) feedback, right? I mean, what would hinder anybody to write a message like...
Thanks you &#$*!@& for ruining my trainride... how?? because I downloaded that book of yours, right, but because you're such a lousy narrator who's completely incomprehensible, I couldn't stand listening to you for more than the disclaimer... so I ended up being bored and staring at the tits of the hot blonde opposite me which she didn't like very much, so she slapped my face and called me names, and everybody was staring at me and thought I was a total pervert and that's all because YOU can't get a straight sentence out. %1*$ you!
:D
Nah... although I understand it that people like a pat on the back for a job well done, I guess I'll just stick with the download counts on archive and hope for (positive) comments...
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Availle said it much more dramatically than I did. LOL!

Personally, I wouldn't want a thank-you button/count on my projects because for me, it WOULD turn into more of a competition. I'm just that hungry for affirmation, I guess. LOL!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Hmm... I've thought about this quite a bit, and come down on the side of it not being a good thing.

The fact is, that if people really want to send you thanks, they can - either in a PM, a comment on the home page blog, an email to Librivox, a post on the forum, or a review on the Internet Archive. And they do those things, if they feel strongly enough. It's too easy just to click a button.

I'm certainly strongly against the capacity to send a personal message by clicking a button - it's open to severe abuse, and we wouldn't know they were doing it.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It would be really nice to get lots of thanks -
but how would it feel to have struggled to finish a 25 hour solo - and NO ONE ever presses the button :cry: :cry: :cry:

Anne
hefyd

Post by hefyd »

I know that ideas of this kind are well-meant, but I think they do in the end boil down to beauty contests - fine for the beautiful,but discouraging for others. hefyd
meum est propositum,in taberna mori
ut sint vina proxima,morientis ori
anon.