LibriVox Video Tutorials

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Great Plains

Post by Great Plains »

Hi all!

One of the things I do for my day job is make video tutorials for websites. I noticed the other day that I answer a lot of the same questions over and over, and I was thinking that it might be helpful to have a handful of short (1 - 2 minute) YouTube videos that covered the basics of LibriVox and recording. It wouldn't take me long to make each of these.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Vid 1) Intro to LV, how to register, join a project
2) Download and install Audacity, LAME, record, export MP3, and upload.
3) DC offset and how to correct it
4) Background noise removal
5) Volume, input gain, normalization, and amplifying.
6) Click and pop repair

Any other vids that would be helpful? Thoughts?
Daniel, the Cylon
([url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=2136]LV Profile[/url])
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

That sounds like a very good idea.

Perhaps a 'how to upload' vid? Or put that info in with the general LV info in 1.
EDIT: I cannot read. It's obviously time for bed for me. I think you've thought of everything.

And a 'This is where the wiki is, and here is the help needed forum, if you have any more questions,' bit at the end of the vid.
So little space, so much to say.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I agree - sounds like a great idea!

And please include, if you can, how to increase the mic input volume in Windows. :)

Would you/we want a video on how to add stuff to the MW, for BC's and soloists?
Last edited by TriciaG on November 18th, 2009, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Julila

Post by Julila »

Sounds excellent to me!
Constructive criticism is greatly appreciated!

Mr. Wooster, how would you support a wife? Well, I suppose it depends on whose wife it was, a little gentle pressure beneath the elbow while crossing a busy street usually fits the bill. (P.G. Wodehouse)
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

I know David (EC) had done a few already. Don't know where they are stored though.

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Great Plains

Post by Great Plains »

Right on! Here is the text of the first vid that I'll start work on tomorrow. Let me know of any improvements or changes you think I should make.

This is 423 words, so about 2:48 to 3:00 running time.
LibriVox Tutorial #1 - Introduction

Welcome to LibriVox video tutorial #1. LibriVox is a volunteer project to record all books, novels, poems, and other published texts in the public domain, and to release those recording back into the public domain.

Starting in August of 2005 with Hugh McGuire, LibriVox volunteers have recorded over 2,500 audiobooks. LibriVox volunteers work together recording, editing, proof listening, and cataloging the books. Some books are recorded all by one narrator, others are collaborative projects with different voices for each chapter.

Everyone is welcome to volunteer, regardless of language, accent, country, age, or vocal ability. All you need is a microphone and a little bit of courage. I'm sure you'll find the community engaging and uplifting.

If you don't want to put your voice out there, you can still help by listening to existing recordings to make sure they conform to LibriVox standards.

Go to LibriVox.org/newcatalog to search the database of current recordings to see if your favorite book is there. Many of the more popular books have been recorded by LibriVox volunteers more than once. If you don't see your favorite book, or even if you do, maybe you'll consider joining our team. It's easy to do.

All you have to do is go to the forum at librivox.org/forum and register for a free account. There are no auditions. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to participate. But while you're getting used to the process, you might consider sticking with shorter works like poems and single chapters from collaborative projects.

After you introduce yourself in the "New Here? Introduce Yourself!" forum, go to one of the "Readers Wanted" forums to look for a project to join.

A great place to start is the Weekly Poetry. Every week, a new poem is selected for as many people to record as want to. These poems are usually short, so it doesn't take a lot of time.

If you have never recorded for LibriVox before, you may be asked to submit a test recording. This is not an audition. It is just to make sure that your computer is set up according to LibriVox standards. Any LibriVox coordinator can help you get all of the technical bits sorted out so you can begin recording as soon as possible.

In the next video tutorial, we'll cover in detail exactly how to set up, record, and upload chapters.

And that's it! Stop watching this, go sign up, and say hello! You have nothing to lose and new friends to gain.

Thank you for watching.
Daniel, the Cylon
([url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=2136]LV Profile[/url])
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Could you say something like, "All you need is a microphone, a voice that's understandable in the language you're recording, and a little bit of courage" :?:

Maybe?
Great Plains

Post by Great Plains »

TriciaG wrote:Could you say something like, "All you need is a microphone, a voice that's understandable in the language you're recording, and a little bit of courage" :?:

Maybe?
I like where you're going, but how about something more like "a proficiency in your languages of choice". Just to leave the voice quality out of it.
Daniel, the Cylon
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Hmmm. "Proficiency" is relative. But I suppose "understandable" is, too!
Jc

Post by Jc »

Starlite wrote:I know David (EC) had done a few already. Don't know where they are stored though.

Esther :)
One of them is in the Wiki, linked from here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Audacity_Tutorials

Are there any others?
Put yourself in the Readers' Accents Table. See this post.
(Busy real life & traveling, sorry if not here often.)
Jc

Post by Jc »

I think video tutorials are an awesome idea!
Put yourself in the Readers' Accents Table. See this post.
(Busy real life & traveling, sorry if not here often.)
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Great Plains wrote:I like where you're going, but how about something more like "a proficiency in your languages of choice". Just to leave the voice quality out of it.
Some people have a proficiency in reading and listening to a language, but not necessarily in being understood when they speak themselves.

Being understandable is a key requirement, whether for a native speaker or a non-native speaker.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

Daniel,

This is a great idea. Thank you in advance for your work on this. If there is anything I can do to be of any help, just let me know.

Barry
Barry
My Recordings
“I became insane. With long intervals of horrible sanity.” - Edgar Allan Poe
Great Plains

Post by Great Plains »

RuthieG wrote:
Great Plains wrote:I like where you're going, but how about something more like "a proficiency in your languages of choice". Just to leave the voice quality out of it.
Some people have a proficiency in reading and listening to a language, but not necessarily in being understood when they speak themselves.

Being understandable is a key requirement, whether for a native speaker or a non-native speaker.

Ruth
I think that's a great point! I still want to leave out the word "voice" just because we do harp on the fact that everyone is welcome at LV (and people don't like their voices when hearing them played back). So how about the following:
All you need is a microphone, an understandability in your preferred languages, and a little bit of courage.
However, I defer to the group's collective judgment.
Daniel, the Cylon
Great Plains

Post by Great Plains »

TriciaG wrote:I agree - sounds like a great idea!

And please include, if you can, how to increase the mic input volume in Windows. :)
I'll see what I can do :-)
Would you/we want a video on how to add stuff to the MW, for BC's and soloists?
I can do that, but that'll have to be after the ones I've already listed. (Unless everyone things they are a higher priority. I'm flexible.)
Daniel, the Cylon