Breathing in recordings

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

This thread was moved from another thread to continue both discussions separately

I'm pretty sure my mum breathed when she read to me when I was a kid - it didn't bother me at all back then, doesn;t bother me now. in fact what I like about LV is that you can hear humans reading to you, rather than polished space alien/actors who I find now, after listening to so much LV, intolerable, phoney, unnatural. no life, no flaws, no humanity. give me imperfection any time.

(that's not to dispagare any professional actors/voices we have in LV at all ... its the mix that makes things great).
marlodianne

Post by marlodianne »

hugh wrote:I'm pretty sure my mum breathed when she read to me when I was a kid [...]
Hugh, no! You mean your mother wasn't a metallic android? She was actually an organic creature requiring oxygen intake to survive?! *gasp of shock and horror*

:lol:
Marlo Dianne
Writer, Artist, Wondergeek
forbiddendragon.blogspot.com

"We live as though the world was as it should be, to show it what it can be." --Angel
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

well she was about 3 in x 2 in x 1/2 in, white, had a little "play" button & earphones...oh wait, no, that;s my ipod. ;)
harvey

Post by harvey »

Say, who runs this place, any way? I want to complain about having my
thread hijacked. This is supposed to be a serious discussion about a
sound recorder and editor program, not about breath control.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Ha!

To my ears, the sounds of breathing are over-emphasised by the recording method ... unlike in actual human-to-human readings. In recordings, I tend to leave breathing sounds in during conversations, but prefer to cut out any unusually conspicuous breathing sounds in the narrative .. not all, just the ones that sound intrusive to me.

Peter
Aldark

Post by Aldark »

Peter Why wrote:In recordings, I tend to leave breathing sounds in during conversations, but prefer to cut out any unusually conspicuous breathing sounds in the narrative .. not all, just the ones that sound intrusive to me.
That's what I've done too Peter... breathing conversations sound normal, but pauses between paragraphs, etc I use straight background noise.
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

agreed. it;s all about balance. take the spikes out. point is we aren't striving for "perfect" recordings at all. and in fact "prefect" recordings are much less interesting to me, than the ones with the little mistakes.

too many mistakes, too much breathing, etc sounds distracting; a few mistakes, some breathing sounds human.
harvey

Post by harvey »

And let's not forget Kara's budgie, happily commenting from the background (:-)