Page 1 of 2

google search

Posted: April 16th, 2006, 7:49 pm
by hugh
i just did a google search for LibriVox.. and there were "about 1,370,000 [results] for librivox."

how bout that, eh?

Posted: April 16th, 2006, 7:58 pm
by thistlechick
I think even more importantly is that LibriVox is the 5th hit for the search:
free audiobooks ... which is how people who have never heard of us will find it =) .

...We're after Project Gutenberg and 3 sites with those words in the domain name, which is pretty hard to beat =)

Posted: April 16th, 2006, 8:04 pm
by kayray
Hmm.. we should use the phrase "audio books" somewhere, also. We're a lot lower down on that search page. Audiobooks.org uses "Free Audiobooks, audio books, MP3 books"

Posted: April 17th, 2006, 4:49 am
by Aldark
I just did a Google check to and received "about 1,530,000 for librivox" - that's one heck of a change...

It seems the meta data has appropriate keywords, though MP3, Ogg, copywright, and podcast could also be added.

Posted: April 17th, 2006, 8:23 am
by kayray
I don't think that google cares much about the meta tag. If I remember correctly it looks for text strings on the actual page and ranks pages according to how many OTHER high-ranking pages link to them (complicated!). Let's see if wikipedia knows anything... ah yes, pretty much:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_(search_engine)#PageRank

(sorry about ugly url; copy/paste)

So lots of people are linking to us! But maybe we should still try to add likely keywords to our front-page text somewhere. It's a bit tricky to do that and not have them stick out like a sore thumb :)

I just searched for "public domain audiobooks" and the #1 link was an about.com page linking to us! Woohoo!

Posted: April 17th, 2006, 9:15 am
by Aldark
kayray wrote: So lots of people are linking to us! But maybe we should still try to add likely keywords to our front-page text somewhere. It's a bit tricky to do that and not have them stick out like a sore thumb :)
how about 1pt font (or something like 1% if using CSS) and have the color set to the background color so they're not visible... unless doing a "Select All" or using a screen reader. :-)

Posted: April 17th, 2006, 9:23 am
by ceastman
No, no no, that would be eeeeeeevilllllllll... ;)

'Sides, (out of actual technical curiosity), if we did such a thing, would the hidden text screw up our page layouts?

-Catharine

Posted: April 17th, 2006, 9:45 am
by kayray
Aldark wrote:
kayray wrote: So lots of people are linking to us! But maybe we should still try to add likely keywords to our front-page text somewhere. It's a bit tricky to do that and not have them stick out like a sore thumb :)
how about 1pt font (or something like 1% if using CSS) and have the color set to the background color so they're not visible... unless doing a "Select All" or using a screen reader. :-)
I think google is smart enough not to fall for hijinks liike that ;-)

Posted: April 17th, 2006, 9:50 am
by kri
That's kind of a...bad way of doing it. You can't really do too much to control your ranking in google, unless you spent a lot of time and effort. We'll get up there, I'm sure.

Posted: April 17th, 2006, 9:51 am
by Aldark
kayray wrote:
Aldark wrote: how about 1pt font (or something like 1% if using CSS) and have the color set to the background color so they're not visible... unless doing a "Select All" or using a screen reader. :-)
I think google is smart enough not to fall for hijinks liike that ;-)
What if they're in complete sentences though? I'm not a Google search engine expert, but content is content.

Posted: April 17th, 2006, 12:18 pm
by vee
Yeah but google doesn't like it when people try to manipulate their rankings. If they catch you they punish you pretty severly. BMW germany had their website removed from the rankings when it was determined that they were cheating.

Really we just need a lot of bloggers to talk about and link to the website. As more people add the link it'll move up. So best thing all of us can do is link to LV on our own websites, and let other people know about it.

Posted: April 17th, 2006, 12:19 pm
by Aldark
vee wrote:Yeah but google doesn't like it when people try to manipulate their rankings. If they catch you they punish you pretty severly. BMW germany had their website removed from the rankings when it was determined that they were cheating.
Ok... then nevermind...

Posted: April 17th, 2006, 3:27 pm
by Gesine
Both forum and LV homepage are already PR6... pretty good.

Posted: April 17th, 2006, 4:52 pm
by raouf
Aldark wrote: What if they're in complete sentences though? I'm not a Google search engine expert, but content is content.
Google's algorithm is not based on content but on how many pages link back to you.
It is a type of "word of mouth" paradigm.

Posted: April 17th, 2006, 9:55 pm
by hugh
heh heh ... ok so i posted this, as in, "holy smokes, there are 1.3 million mentions of LV turning up on google! how amazing is that!" ... ;) i don't think we need to worry too much about increasing our google rank, 1.3 million mentions is purty durn good if you ask me!