reddit.com -- neat-o!

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
kayray

Post by kayray »

Anyone been to http://reddit.com/new ?

I've just submitted a link to the librivox catalog -- if it's still there, go click the up-arrow to make it more popular ;-)
Last edited by kayray on April 12th, 2006, 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

"The page you requested does not exist." 0610 gmt 12th April. .. though, oddly, you can get to it via the main page and the new tab.
kayray

Post by kayray »

whoops, i put a slash at the end of my url. should work now :) very neat site! of course my librivox link has scrolled away, but you should be able to find it by searching from the main page, then click the "like" arrow.

They've just launched a "freeculture" subreddit, so I'll add us there too.
Kara
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
kayray

Post by kayray »

http://freeculture.reddit.com/

we're number one (of five, heh) if you sort by "hot" :)
Kara
--------
Yakumo

Post by Yakumo »

all we need now is to be /. (slash doted) How's the progress on that text to audio syncing apllication going?

( I proposed the idea of getting slash doted in the sugesstions forum quite a while ago.) That was way back, when we were much more desperate for hits. Still, it would be nice!
vee

Post by vee »

If you guys really want to be slashdotted, it can probably be arranged. I know a few of the mods personally. But I'm not sure Slashdot is the kindof traffic we really want right now. Could kill the site.
Chris Vee
"You never truly understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother." - Albert Einstein
Yakumo

Post by Yakumo »

that was just a spur of the moment thing. Got caught up in the enthusiasm. =)

If someone else thinks that we are worthy enough to be flooded by sladhot down the line, then we will--I am sure-- accept the consequences (if we can handle them)

but like Chip once said, What librivox really needs is dedicated volunteers as oposed to just traffic.
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

ha! yes once upon a time i was annoyed we haddn't been slashdotted yet ... but it would prob cause more chaos than good.

still, things have quieted down a bit, and both hits (avg 106k/day in april vs 119k/day in march) and new volunteers both quieter than in previous months. or rather we are levelling off.

i don't know quite what to think about that - as long as we're all happily producing new texts it doesn't matter so much, but its always nice to get new blood into the project. i know i personally have had much less time to dedicate to LV of late ... i suspect many of the hard-cores feel other pressures too...

how does it feel out here? do you think we need more publicity etc?
Fox in the Stars

Post by Fox in the Stars »

I'll admit, I kind of like levelling off. If new memberships dry up too much, that's no good, but I prefer them coming at a steady trickle more than a publicity-induced surge, and I'm still seeing a pleasant number of new faces, I think.
Laura "Fox in the Stars": fan-author, puppyshipper.
...and [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/LauraFox]LibriVixen. >^-~<[/url]
Yakumo

Post by Yakumo »

what I would love to see is a greater awarness of public domain in schools and higher academia. some people that I have talked to in the past are not even aware that there are resources like Project Gutenberg out there, that have clear aplication for them and others in the classroom.

Some adults that I have talked to don't even seem to be aware of the idea of public domain. I have never heard the words "public domain" in association with project gutenberg ever mentioned in a class setting.

I have been told that part of the reason schools ignore public domain content on the internet is because they are afraid that if they start encouraging the use of free content, it will mean a decrease in funding for their department.

free audiobooks for the disabled can be used as an example. If people who donate or invest in a university are aware that they have started using free content like audiobooks for their disabled students, it could mean a drop in funding for them, since they are precived to have resources in abudence which they can get at no cost. The people that donate, expect that their money be used to fund certain things. If the university spends it all, then there is a percived need for a constant inflow of funding, if they don't, then people see their donations as going to waste or being used for other things that they did not intend.

that is the sad truth, and I think that it is the reason people in the academia and schools across the country ignore public domain content.

The same applies to open source and creative commons content. With open source and cc content however, since they are bound by a lisense of free distribution without the possibility of profits,are protected by the possibility of legal action. Schools want to be sure to protect themselves against legal issues in the possible missuse of the content by the student population.

Those are the main reasons that schools do not encourage the use of free content.
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

well this is where i *would* love to see us grow - into schools as both a resource and as a source of potential school projects.
kri

Post by kri »

So would I, and you can damn well be sure that I will be incorporating LibriVox into my teaching :)