LibriVox monthly statistics

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

If you search for in the catalogue for Version N (where N is a number from 1 to 10) you can get an idea of how many books have multiple versions. It's not an exact science, as an early version may have been put on hold and not been completed. However it appears there is a 9th version of A Christmas Carol by Dickens, and an 8th Version of Anne of Green Gables by Montgomery, currently in progress. Also, by Austen, there are 7 complete versions of Emma, and a 7th version of Pride and Prejudice is in progress.

Edit: Note that this also does not include any works that have been recorded in multiple different translations. I know we have quite a few different versions of The Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám, for example.
So little space, so much to say.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

This is a brilliant piece of advise, Lucy :thumbs: I never thought about doing that.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It also won't include different translations of works - like some of the Russian well known ones. For example Anna Karenina has 2 English versions complete , a (Garnett translation) and a (Dole).

Anne
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Hello,
Basquetteur wrote:So which 10 authors have the most books in librivox? Conan Doyle, Verne, Austen, Pirandello, anonymous,...?
I added a new function to http://ekzemplaro.org/librivox/statistics/
Just click 'Authors' button and select 'completed'.

1 Various 767 books
2 Charles Dickens 109 books
3 William Shakespeare 91 books
4 Anonymous 77 books
5 Mark Twain 74 books
6 King James Version 69 books
7 Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 67 books
8 L. Frank Baum 62 books
9 American Standard Version 61 books
10 Jules Vernes 58 books

Just click the author id, then book titles will appear. Enjoy.

Cheers,
Masa
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Unfortunately, our catalog search is not very helpful in these things, and even archive's will not get you very far...

I'm seeing a lot of the catalog with the staff picks, so I would guess that:
- most versions in one language - as Lucy said above: Pride and Predjudice, A Christmas Carol, Anne of Green Gables
- most books in any language: Jules Verne, Charles Dickens, possibly Tolstoy, and maybe Alice in Wonderland
- most dramas: Shakespeare, Ibsen, Chekhov

- and then we have "most requested books that are not pd in the US": Anne of Windy Poplars wins hands down. :lol:

Everything else is very difficult to determine, you would have to know what you're looking for when you're looking for it. Download counts on archive are "useful" within limits.

Edit: I see that Masa san has just (partially) confirmed what I thought. :thumbs: Note that I'm counting full books and not short stories, I think with Masa's statistics, stories in a collection are included.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Basquetteur

Post by Basquetteur »

Thank you all for illuminating my ignorance from all those many different angles.

So, as regards the question on authors, eliminating "various", "anonymous", "King James", and "American Standard version", a list would be:

1 Charles Dickens: 109 books
2 William Shakespeare: 91 books
3 Mark Twain: 74 books
4 Sir Arthur Conan Doyle: 67 books
5 L. Frank Baum: 62 books
6 Jules Verne: 58 books

There is plenty of pointers in ekzemplaro's database. Although I am not sure right now how to make good use of its many possibilities

Cheers,

Basquetteur
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

May saw 78 projects added to the catalog (and already 1 for June).

Overall stats:

Total number of projects: 10380
Number of completed projects: 9735
Number of completed non-English projects: 1321
Total number of languages: 92
Number of languages with a completed work: 36
Number of completed solo projects: 5444
Number of readers: 7534

The number of projects we have completed in 2016 is now 408.

We have 265 projects to go to reach the 10,000 completed projects milestone.
Carolin
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Carolin wrote: We have 265 projects to go to reach the 10,000 completed projects milestone.
That means we might see the 10.000 some time in August. Probably not early enough for the 11th anniversary, which is on the... 10th I believe, but still, the same month is possible.

I guess I'll better go and record some of my outstanding sections then! :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
carteki

Post by carteki »

# of Completed Projects by Month.

I was wondering if I could see a seasonal pattern in the way that the books are recorded.
It appears that as things start to get warmer in the north, May & Jun, the number of completed projects decreases; but starts up again in July & Aug when people are on holiday??. September is probably the worst month on average followed by good months in Oct and Nov (getting colder again?).

2016 doesn't look like a good year - and given that there are a lot of regulars missing from the forum I'm not surprised. At this rate we're looking at around 900 projects complete for the year. (It only has June data up to the 23rd, but I don't expect a mass rush).
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It is interesting and there is a seasonal variation and the number of northern readers far outweighs us :D .
books completed is the only statistic we have available but it's not all the picture. A 30 minute project and the complete War and Peace get the same treatment. The only real indicator would be the number of listening hours produced per month and even then that wouldn't include a "degree of difficulty" weighting for the complexity of the text :D

Anne
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

We're consistently producing and releasing some 2.5-3 items into our catalog EVERY SINGLE DAY! Even a most dedicated full-time listener could not keep up with us.

This really is a wonderful achievement of which we should all be very proud!

Thanks, Todd
carteki

Post by carteki »

Ann, as requested - here is the total hours completed per month*. Once again November is a good month :)

I also did Average Hours / Project which is 5h10m.
So while in 2015 and 2016 we are pushing out a number of projects, they are shorter on average than those that were done in the previous years.

* This relies on the data that is in the database. Currently there are 10 projects in 2015 or 2006 that are showing 0 length.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

That looks really interesting! 2016 looks quite alright with those new numbers :)

I have a couple of projects which should complete in a couple of days, maybe we can improve the average still a bite more :D
Carolin
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

June saw 68 projects added to the catalog (and already one for July).

Other stats:
Total number of projects 10462
Number of completed projects 9803
Number of completed non-English projects 1327
Total number of languages 92
Number of languages with a completed work 36
Number of completed solo projects 5476
Number of readers 7574
...who have completed something

so 197 to reach 10,000!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

:clap: We are so close! :clap: I'll add another one in the next few hours, so that will 196 left to go!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!