LibriVox monthly statistics

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

The Multilingual one is where all these languages will appear in the catalogue search. Although each item may be entered in a compilation table under its own language, the search drop-down list doesn't currently include them all. The search is a mess, and needs to be completely re-done when we can.

Virtually all the least common ones have recordings of the Declaration of Human Rights only.

I don't think we actually anything in any Mayan or North American Indian language. I don't know how they got on to the list, but someone must have put them there at some point. That is how they are categorised in the ISO 639 list, a set of international standards that lists short codes for language names.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

The languages listed below have complete books (not a complete list of everything in the catalog).

Languages with many completed projects
English
Dutch
French
German

Languages with fewer completed projects
Chinese
Danish
Finnish
Greek
Hebrew
Hungarian
Italian
Japanese
Latvian
Portuguese
Russian
Spanish
Swedish
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Did I miss the stats for January? Are we off to a good start?
MaryAnn
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

These are all great statistics that would be good to mention in the next podcast, which is themed on multilingual performing. Would any admin - Ruth, Esther, TriciaG, anyone - be able and willing to research and let me know if there is anyone who records in the most number of languages. Also, if there are people who can record in both English and one or more other more "exotic" or out of the way languages than ones in the European continent. I know that David Barnes can record in Chinese (Mandarin?). Alternatively, if you could let me know how to research this myself. I know there are certain statistics that only admins can access, but perhaps there are ones any registered user can access but that I have not figured out yet.

Also, if anyone is willing and able to record a relevant segment for the multilingual podcast - anything to do with recording in languages other than English, especially if it involves a reader who can read in two or more languages - I will gratefully accept it.

Bob
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

We cataloged 85 projects in January, which put us at 5261 total projects from inception to end of January. Here are the monthly numbers for the last year:
1-2011 97
2-2011 88
3-2011 91
4-2011 98
5-2011 91
6-2011 63
7-2011 96
8-2011 108
9-2011 82
10-2011 99
11-2011 84
12-2011 86
1-2012 85

I do not know how to find the detailed stats as of January 31. But as of about 1/2 hour ago:

05/02/12 : 20:20:01
Total number of projects: 5831
Number of completed projects: 5278
Number of completed non-English projects: 770
Total number of languages: 33
Number of languages with a completed work: 31
Number of completed solo projects: 2369
Number of readers: 4917
...who have completed something: 4741

I do not know how to find out who has recorded in multiple languages. That would require quite a bit of digging, I think. The only way I can think of to do it is to come up with a list of readers that have recorded in other languages, and cross reference that with a list that have recorded in English. But I wouldn't know HOW to get those lists.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

Wow! Thanks, Tricia! These stats are fantastic! I really appreciate your getting them and so very, very quickly.

I'll probably just depend on people who record in two or more languages talking about their recording projects rather than trying to find out myself. Other than Martin, Algy, and Piotrek, I think all the other people who record in multiple languages are admins. Lars Rolander has already submitted a file and I hope to ones from Karen Savage, Leni, Ezwa, Availle and Nadine. Also Gesine, if I could get her to come back for a podcast segment. Does anyone have any suggestions of multilingual performers that I have not mentioned?

Thanks again, Tricia! You are a phenomenon. :D

Bob
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Kalynda, ERampton, gioachin are some non-native speakers who have participated in French projects.
Caroline Sophie also, I think, in German and English besides French.
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

JC: English, French, Chinese
jing: English, Chinese

I wouldn't bother Gesine or JC for a podcast contribution though - they are both exceedingly busy at the moment.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Kalynda: English, German and French as well I think

Eta: Oh, I just see Nadine has mentioned her already. Well, then French for sure :wink:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Does anyone have any suggestions of multilingual performers that I have not mentioned?
Other than those already mentioned I would also suggest dii. I keep seeing her in threads dealing with works in 3 o 4 languages :shock: Cursory catalogue search revealed: Hungarian, English and Italian.

It would also be interesting to hear readers' opinions about presenting texts containing passages in langagues other than the predominant language of the work.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

Thanks so much, Nadine, Ruth, & Availle!
Piotrek81 wrote: It would also be interesting to hear readers' opinions about presenting texts containing passages in langagues other than the predominant language of the work.
Great idea, Piotrek! I'll see what mileage I can get out of it.

Bob
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Thanks again, Tricia! You are a phenomenon. :D
Not really - it was a matter of going to a couple web pages and copy/pasting the information. 8-) (Well, except I DID have to whip out a calculator to find the total number of projects as of Jan 31.)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
bart
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by bart »

Februari was a great month.
With only 29 days in it, it managed to complete 103 projects!
This is the list of months with over 100 projects:
1 nov-09 145
2 nov-10 115
3 mei-08 113
4 okt-08 109
5 aug-11 108
6 feb-12 103
7 aug-09 102

And the other statistics:

Total number of projects 5929
Number of completed projects 5364
Number of completed non-English projects 779
Total number of languages 33
Number of languages with a completed work 31
Number of completed solo projects 2404
Number of readers 4971
...who have completed something 4799
Alle Nederlandstalige projecten op de Librivox Boekenplank
prwells32

Post by prwells32 »

That's fantastic! I wish I could help out with that non-english completed product count, but alas, I am bout a poor mono-linguist...
Patrick

Enjoy Tom Swift? Perhaps you would enjoy a book about him meeting up with some Diamond Makers
Or perhaps you'd rather talk about music with children.
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

Bart,

Thanks SO much for posting all of these statistics that only admins can access! It's really great to hear those on a regular basis. I think it would be really a positive boost to have current statistics featured regularly in the podcasts. Is it relatively easy to collect this data? Something that can be done in a matter of minutes?

Bob