Requests and Congratulations!

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

Hi my names Martyn as you probably guessed from my username and I'm from the United Kingdom, South Wales!

Just wanted to say congratulations and a big thank you to Sherry who completed the reading of Jane Austen's Emma. I hope it is ok for me to use your work as an audio book on my iPod. I am a 17 year old English Literature Student and I am currently studying Emma by Jane Austen, King Lear by Shakespeare and Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller at A-Level.

Basically I was wondering if anyone here knew of or are in the progress of creating an audiobook for any of the titles I am studying as mentioned above. I find that listening to someone read the book you can make better use of imagery and imagine the scene as if it was real as opposed to reading it yourself. The persons voice emphasises thought's and feelings of characters by the change of tone etc. which is why I found Sherry's 'Emma' reading very easy to listen to and get more involved.

Very pleased to have come across Librivox, the information and projects are most excellent and pleasurable to listen to! Thanks again, hope to hear from someone soon.
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

Glad to have you here, Martyn!

Though I'm sure we could do King Lear, we're not going to be able to offer Death Of A Salesman - it's been written too recently. We can't host anything that isn't in the public domain; in the US that means "published before 1923".

Best of luck in your A-Levels!
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
kayray

Post by kayray »

Hi Martyn! Emma has not yet been fully proof-listened, so you might hear a few repeated passages that still need to be edited out. (we don't worry about mispronunciations or other tiny errors)

If you hear any repeated text, or a file which is noticeably quieter than the rest (e.g. vol1 ch4), feel free to note down the particulars and make a post in the proof-listening thread:
http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1825

Of course you don't have to :)

And, it's just fine to listen on your ipod! Or in any other way you choose. Make copies for you friends, too (or maybe wait until we've done the final editing ;-)

Happy listening,
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)