LibriVox t-shirt

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Hugh mentioned this in jest in an Off-topic thread, but actually I don't think it's a bad idea. How about designing a LV t-shirt, or several, and selling it on Cafe Press? I don't think there are any set-up costs (other than time).

They also have other products - we could have a whole range of LibriVox 'merchandise' :)

We use buttons for websites, and I know someone has created a real button with 'Ask me about LibriVox' - this is just an extension of the concept. Of course, everyone who wanted such a product, would have to buy it.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
CarolineNH

Post by CarolineNH »

I have no graphics (nor graphics ability) and I don't know how to set up a CafePress store (check Spreadshirts.com too, but they may be more expensive) but I'll be right up front in line to buy if someone sets up something!

Caroline in NH
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

We have a number of graphics designers on the forum. We might just be able to recycle some of the ideas we had for the poster... perhaps, if there is sufficient interest, we can start another design project. :)

I'm sure there are other services like Cafe Press - as you said, that would need investigation, too.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

we could just use stephan/gord/everybody's poster...prob with cafepress: they only ship in the US.
Aldark

Post by Aldark »

hugh wrote:we could just use stephan/gord/everybody's poster...prob with cafepress: they only ship in the US.
We could have someone setup a PayPal acct if you International folks want the goods. ;-)
kri

Post by kri »

I would buy LibriVox stuff!! I'm dirt poor right now, but I would buy it for sure!

Hey, and I just recently got a drawing tablet. We'll see what ideas I can come up with. What kind of images do we want on LibriVox stuff?
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

There are a few places in the UK (and probably also in other parts of Europe) that do a similar thing to Cafe Press. Perhaps the easiest would be to make the graphics files available in whatever format needed, then everyone in Europe could go and design and buy their own! :)
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

ok... but where would the profit go? would there be a way to set up some kind of trust fund that would hold the income until we decided what to do with it?
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
kri

Post by kri »

Can't we set it so that it doesn't gain any profit? I'm not saying it would be a bad thing to get a bit of money for hosting, but we don't have money management worked out yet.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

I've moved the project over to Volunteers Wanted, for the design side. See here: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1869

I don't think we'll need to deal with profits if everyone essentially designs and buys their own t-shirts?
marlodianne

Post by marlodianne »

I do my online prints with Zazzle. I'm told they are easy to order from, and the quality is fantastic.

The user agreement of Cafe Press should make any sane person's hair set on fire. They're not professional, and the service and quality shows that.

Zazzle does prints, cards, t-shirts, and stamps. Prices are standised, and you can sell items at cost.

Of course, you can always privide the source files, and people can have stuff made up at their local wal-mart. The prices aren't really different, but it would take out the shipping beast.
Marlo Dianne
Writer, Artist, Wondergeek
forbiddendragon.blogspot.com

"We live as though the world was as it should be, to show it what it can be." --Angel
kayray

Post by kayray »

yes, you can set the cafe press pricing so there is no profit. we did a few items for nyip.net many years ago and set them at no-profit costs. the t-shirts are fine and the logos still look good (keep them out of the dryer if possible). My nyip.net mug went in the dishwasher and the logo eventually faded. so when dan bought me the vi reference mug i decided to wash it by hand, and it still looks beautiful.

I'm excited! we'll all wear librivox t-shirts!
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
pberinstein

Post by pberinstein »

Way cool, you guys!
Paula B
The Writing Show, where writing is always the story
http://www.writingshow.com
jimmowatt

Post by jimmowatt »

I wonder
What are those tee shirt transfer things like?
Has anyone used them?

They're some kind of special paper.
You print something on to it then iron it on to a tee shirt.
That might be an easier way of creating a tee-shirt as then we'd only need to create a design that would work well with this transfer paper.
kri

Post by kri »

Well, once we get designs people can make the t-shirts any way they please. As long as the design creator is willing to distribute the high res file and let people put to t-shirts as they please.