How to find a reader accent

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Post Reply
paradise.camouflage
Posts: 105
Joined: January 3rd, 2008, 10:38 am
Contact:

Post by paradise.camouflage » January 7th, 2009, 12:46 pm

Hi there, Gavin:

I'm one of the Scots here! Is there any reason in particular you'd like to know?

Best wishes, &c
[color=green]'We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars'[/color]

chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 13909
Joined: January 16th, 2007, 9:23 am
Contact:

Post by chocoholic » January 7th, 2009, 1:02 pm

Hi, Gavin, and welcome! Here's a Readers Accent Table that recently got started in our Wiki. You might want to keep your eye on it in case any Scots besides paradise.camouflage add themselves in the future.
Laurie Anne

Starlite
Posts: 16606
Joined: April 30th, 2006, 2:17 pm
Location: Thunder Bay Ontario, Canada

Post by Starlite » January 7th, 2009, 1:05 pm

paradise.camouflage wrote:Hi there, Gavin:

I'm one of the Scots here! Is there any reason in particular you'd like to know?

Best wishes, &c
And Andy's accent is wonderful! :9: :D :lol:
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw

RuthieG
Posts: 22021
Joined: April 17th, 2008, 8:41 am
Location: Kent, England
Contact:

Post by RuthieG » January 7th, 2009, 4:42 pm

Only a couple of Scottish accents on my British Readers spreadsheet. :(

But keep an eye out on the new Robert Burns project here. We are bound to find a few lovely Scots accents there. :)

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding

paradise.camouflage
Posts: 105
Joined: January 3rd, 2008, 10:38 am
Contact:

Post by paradise.camouflage » January 8th, 2009, 5:25 am

Starlite wrote:
paradise.camouflage wrote:Hi there, Gavin:

I'm one of the Scots here! Is there any reason in particular you'd like to know?

Best wishes, &c
And Andy's accent is wonderful! :9: :D :lol:
:oops: :D Thank you, Starlite - that's very nice of you! I'm glad you like my accent :).

Best wishes,

Andy :).
[color=green]'We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars'[/color]

paradise.camouflage
Posts: 105
Joined: January 3rd, 2008, 10:38 am
Contact:

Post by paradise.camouflage » January 8th, 2009, 5:26 am

RuthieG wrote:Only a couple of Scottish accents on my British Readers spreadsheet. :(

But keep an eye out on the new Robert Burns project here. We are bound to find a few lovely Scots accents there. :)

Ruth
That looks like a great project, Ruth :).
[color=green]'We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars'[/color]

Chop Tail
Posts: 1
Joined: February 7th, 2009, 8:31 pm
Location: Ottawa, Our shining nations capital

Post by Chop Tail » February 7th, 2009, 8:51 pm

Ok, I gotta say, you guys all rock. This information contributes a great deal to my overall health, well-being and happiness and it is generally relevant to my interests. I feel I should personally thank all of you for your time and generosity and think that it would be entirely appropriate to write thank you letters to each and every person who has been a formative influence throughout your good, generous, shining lives.

I've been looking for this EXACT INFORMATION for a very long time. Score one for perseverance and librivox forums.
(And I will not actually be writing anyone letters, or tracking down identities to do so, so please don't have me arrested for sounding like a creeper. thx.)

RuthieG
Posts: 22021
Joined: April 17th, 2008, 8:41 am
Location: Kent, England
Contact:

Post by RuthieG » February 8th, 2009, 2:56 am

paradise.camouflage wrote:That looks like a great project, Ruth :).
Er... yes. I'd better get it up to date. :oops:
Chop Tail wrote:(And I will not actually be writing anyone letters, or tracking down identities to do so, so please don't have me arrested for sounding like a creeper. thx.)
:shock: Well, that's a relief. :lol:

Thanks for your kind words. I'm glad you enjoy listening as much as we enjoy recording.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding

gabslambrick
Posts: 12
Joined: March 27th, 2009, 12:41 pm
Location: Oxford, England

Post by gabslambrick » March 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm

I'm also new to this website and one of the first things I noticed was that it would be great to aim for a british and an american version of each book, and for these versions to be clearly labelled as such in the catalog so you know what you're getting.
I started off listening to a collaborative version of Pride and Prejudice and after 3 chapters of a nice British accent it switched to American!
No offence to you Americans, or to the reader in question, who read really well, but I can't listen to Jane Austen in an American accent! I'm sure you'd cringe at listening to Tom Sawyer or To Kill A Mockingbird in my posh Oxford accent too :)
I guess this is particularly relevant for British classics (like Austen, Dickens, Bronte) and since they're likely to be popular, it shouldn't be too hard to make it known that a British version is needed and find volunteers for it.

Cori
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 12173
Joined: November 22nd, 2005, 10:22 am
Location: Britain
Contact:

Post by Cori » March 27th, 2009, 1:47 pm

Well, it's not really a case of 'needing' a version in a particular accent ... people here record anything they like and bring something of themselves to it through their voice. We're happy to accept as many versions of a book as people want to record, and in any accent. I'd be woeful if I was barred from reading any American literature, and there are some pretty splendid readings of British novels by a range of non-British voices here.

The aim of the LibriVox community is to record books ... the vast-and-growing catalogue is really just a happy side-effect. We don't ask for anything except people willing to help out, and we don't make any rulings about compatibility of text with accents (or gender appropriateness or vocal-age). I hope this makes sense -- it surely does make it fun to be here, anyway. :D You could read monologues of Hamlet and Lady MacBeth in the morning, Twain and Goethe in the afternoon, and still be most welcome to help with Brontë and Beeton in the evening. And each one of those recordings would be valuable in some way to some listener ... no matter how unlikely the matching may be between your sound and the text's narrative voice.

I'm going on a bit now, but anyway. The idea of labelling books by their readers' accent has been raised before, but it's pretty thorny ... defining accents is a tricky business as you'll see from the accent table mentioned above. Not to mention the difficulty when it came to collaboratives, as you say.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!

Little Cowgirl
Posts: 36
Joined: March 28th, 2009, 5:30 pm

Post by Little Cowgirl » March 30th, 2009, 2:38 pm

This project sounds awesome. I'm also interested in accents and was really happy to find this page. I gotta ask a question, though: who is the genius who described the accents? Because it made me laugh like crazy :p
And how do you get catalogued on this wonderful wiki?

Starlite
Posts: 16606
Joined: April 30th, 2006, 2:17 pm
Location: Thunder Bay Ontario, Canada

Post by Starlite » March 30th, 2009, 3:52 pm

Little Cowgirl wrote:This project sounds awesome. I'm also interested in accents and was really happy to find this page. I gotta ask a question, though: who is the genius who described the accents? Because it made me laugh like crazy :p
And how do you get catalogued on this wonderful wiki?
Hee hee, we all make up our own descriptions! You can just post here to be added.

Esther :D
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw

Little Cowgirl
Posts: 36
Joined: March 28th, 2009, 5:30 pm

Post by Little Cowgirl » March 30th, 2009, 4:11 pm

Okay, awesome!
Since English's not my first language, I'll let someone else write the description, as it seems that most non-natives did that :)

momof3Chihuahuas
Posts: 1304
Joined: June 9th, 2009, 7:11 pm
Location: Southern Indiana
Contact:

Post by momof3Chihuahuas » August 2nd, 2009, 11:28 pm

paradise.camouflage wrote:
Starlite wrote:
paradise.camouflage wrote:Hi there, Gavin:

I'm one of the Scots here! Is there any reason in particular you'd like to know?

Best wishes, &c
And Andy's accent is wonderful! :9: :D :lol:
:oops: :D Thank you, Starlite - that's very nice of you! I'm glad you like my accent :).

Best wishes,

Andy :).
I'm in complete agreement with Esther; Andy, your voice/accent is fantastic! I hope you pop back in at LV sometime soon! And bring some more Scottish friends, maybe? :wink: I love Scottish accents & would love to have more Scots on here! (No offense to anyone else, really; so many great accents/readers here!)

And, Andy, why don't you do a solo sometime? If you ever do, I'm already claiming to be DPL! :lol: I sent you a PM a couple of weeks ago, but you haven't been by to pick it up yet. Ah, well, you have several fans here!

Hey, everyone else, who are our other Scottish readers? Or do we have any others? It's due to my family history that I have a special fondness for Scottish accents. Oh, if only Craig Ferguson (from The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson) would volunteer here! As if! Oh, well, I can dream!

Enough of my rambling! I should've chosen RamblingQueen as my user name! LOL :mrgreen:

Joy :D
You cannot understand the glories of the universe without believing there is some Supreme Power behind it. Stephen Hawking

Twitter @momof3chis (but don't have cell phone LOL :roll:)

Post Reply