Suggest a "Staff Pick" for archive.org

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

New staff picks are available on the Librivox home page of archive.org (bottom right-hand corner) and are also posted on the LV blog.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Cori

Post by Cori »

I don't know how often we put up old recordings there, but I've just started listening to http://librivox.org/scaramouche-by-rafael-sabatini/ and actually dreamed about it last night, which is quite the sign of an impressive book, I think**. I'm 3 chapters in and really enjoying it.

[** Though the night before, I dreamed I was Gregory House, investigating a bomb plot in a most SherlockHolmes-esque way. So perhaps my brain is just a culturally-fevered place in general.]
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Cori wrote:I don't know how often we put up old recordings there
As often as I can. I am always on the look-out for hidden gems. The current staff picks are very much a mixture of old and new. There is much good wine in old bottles.

You obviously have a vivid imagination. My dreams are far more mundane. :(

Ruth
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I have just put up some Hallowe'en staff picks on the front page.

(I shall definitely be using Scaramouche next time, Cori. I think I will do a selection of 'oldies but goodies' in early November.)

Ruth
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

If I might suggest something for one of the next staff picks, two of my absolute favorites here:

Falkner's Lost Stradivarius: http://librivox.org/the-lost-stradivarius-by-j-meade-falkner/ (cataloged June 2008, oldie enough? :D)

Sue Anderson's recording of The Story of a Common Soldier. Really great reading: http://librivox.org/the-story-of-a-common-soldier-of-army-life-in-the-civil-war-1861-1865-by-leander-stillwell/ (not oldie, cataloged last month)
Leni
=================
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Thank you, Leni! This is making my job a whole lot easier. :D
Steampunk

Post by Steampunk »

Fellow primates take note:

November 24th is the 150th anniversary of the publication of On the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin.

Jim
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Steampunk wrote:November 24th is the 150th anniversary of the publication of On the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin.
Spotlighted on Librivox home page on the Internet Archive.

Ruth
Steampunk

Post by Steampunk »

December theme, anyone?

We could be obvious and go with Christmas/winter themes. Or, to honor the Antipodes among us, summer themes. Maybe Ruth's "oldies but goodies"? (most of our catalog is, after all, stuff that's old and good.) Maybe a mix? Maybe just something you've heard (or read) that you think should be a "pick."

Remember, LibriVox is all of us we're all staff! So... pick! :)

Jim

The current picks at the LibriVox Archive.org Homepage:

# Ghost Stories of an Antiquary
# Animal Ghosts
# The Book of Hallowe'en
# The Canterville Ghost
# Life of the Spider
# The Tragedy of Macbeth
# Famous Modern Ghost Stories
# Nachtstücke
# Short Ghost and Horror Collection 004
# The Beetle
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

RuthieG wrote:
Steampunk wrote:November 24th is the 150th anniversary of the publication of On the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin.
Spotlighted on Librivox home page on the Internet Archive.

Ruth
Also of interest on this topic might be a recording of a book review by Asa Gray in The Atlantic, July 1860 in Short Nonfiction Collection Vol. 12.

http://www.archive.org/download/nonfiction012_librivox/darwinoriginofspeciesreview_gray_ce.mp3
Jo
lezer

Post by lezer »

How about some Christmas picks? There's plenty of new material this year.
smijen

Post by smijen »

I second Christmas Holidays at Merryvale. Such a cute book and just 35 minutes long - fun for the whole family.
Android users - try Orthografiend, a free word game from the maker of Checker.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

The Christmas staff picks are now posted here and here*, and the 2009 Carol Collection is also spotlighted on the Internet Archive page.

*Picks are at the lower right corner of this page, and the page may take some time to update for some people.

Ruth
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

I'd love to recommend http://librivox.org/the-seventh-man-by-max-brand/ to everyone - I've just catalogued it this minute. It's a Western, but not of the typical kind. It's been read by a new volunteer, Robert Keiper (this is his first solo). I was DPL, and greatly enjoyed Bob's reading. He's brilliant at creating voices for different characters (even women and children), and keeps them completely consistent. The reading is flawless. Go check it out, and drop rkeiper a PM if you liked it (being new, naturally he's anxious for feedback)!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein