More on copyright

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I stumbled across this recording and am looking forward to hearing it. (A little uncomfortable, too, as there is a warning that some chapters are difficult.)

I don't understand how it is in the public domain. Can someone explain this?

https://librivox.org/brown-book-of-the-hitler-terror-by-dudley-leigh-aman-marley/

I ask because I'd like to do more with this time period's issues.
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Looks as though HathiTrust marked it public domain in the United States (we trust their copyright clearance process). I have no idea how it's PD since it was published in 1933, but it's possible that its copyright wasn't renewed. Nonrenewal of copyright is a loophole with some 20th-century books but it's very hard to verify, so we don't make that call ourselves; we rely on Gutenberg or HathiTrust instead.
Laurie Anne
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I was the BC for this project, and read some of the most difficult material myself - it’s very interesting historically, but a bit weird to read now as the author keeps trying to convince the reader that the Nazis really are bad and that terrible things really are happening...
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

chocoholic wrote: September 27th, 2019, 9:48 pm Looks as though HathiTrust marked it public domain in the United States (we trust their copyright clearance process). I have no idea how it's PD since it was published in 1933, but it's possible that its copyright wasn't renewed. Nonrenewal of copyright is a loophole with some 20th-century books but it's very hard to verify, so we don't make that call ourselves; we rely on Gutenberg or HathiTrust instead.
That's interesting. It may be that no authors were recognized and that the organization which published the work simply closed with no residual copyright holders.

But what do I know? I'm just glad it was made available.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Elizabby wrote: September 28th, 2019, 1:32 am I was the BC for this project, and read some of the most difficult material myself - it’s very interesting historically, but a bit weird to read now as the author keeps trying to convince the reader that the Nazis really are bad and that terrible things really are happening...
Yes, very strange. I appreciate your helping document that time. It's easy to forget these horrors for some reason. I suppose because we want to think of them as anomalies.