LibriVox Forum
https://forum.librivox.org/

Test Project: Readers Accent Table
https://forum.librivox.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=17015
Page 18 of 18

Author:  SonOfTheExiles [ November 8th, 2015, 12:28 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Test Project: Readers Accent Table

I can remember being in Fiji as a self-conscious teenager in the early 1980s and deliberately muting my Australian accent to the extent that some girls from the other side of the ocean asked me why I was trying to sound like an American. After that, I let my normal accent rip. And I'm glad that I did.

If there's one lesson in life, it's to be yourself. If you don't, who will?


SOTE

Author:  RossKlatte [ February 18th, 2016, 1:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Test Project: Readers Accent Table

I should like to post my accent, but I don't really know what it is.
Ii would be good if someone would listen to it and identify it.
Then, if it's highly complimentary, I will post it in the database.
I'm not on the big board yet; but you can hear me on WIP Short Works-Horace-Odes 18, 19, 20, 22, 32.

RossKlatte

Author:  gypsygirl [ February 19th, 2016, 6:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Test Project: Readers Accent Table

RossKlatte wrote:
I should like to post my accent, but I don't really know what it is.
Ii would be good if someone would listen to it and identify it.
Then, if it's highly complimentary, I will post it in the database.
I'm not on the big board yet; but you can hear me on WIP Short Works-Horace-Odes 18, 19, 20, 22, 32.

RossKlatte


I'd probably put it in the General American camp.

Author:  RossKlatte [ February 19th, 2016, 3:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Test Project: Readers Accent Table

Thank you, gypsygirl

Author:  RossKlatte [ February 20th, 2016, 10:16 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Test Project: Readers Accent Table

Book me, please

|-
| RossKlatte (Ross Klatte)
| South Carolina
| General American
| Father Chicago, Mother Wisconsin, lived in Carolina for many decades; Okay with names in most European languages, Japanese, and Chinese (if correctly romanized, either PY or WG--tones optional)
| SAMPLE https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/odes_21_horace_128kb.mp3

Author:  gypsygirl [ February 20th, 2016, 2:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Test Project: Readers Accent Table

RossKlatte wrote:
Book me, please

|-
| RossKlatte (Ross Klatte)
| South Carolina
| General American
| Father Chicago, Mother Wisconsin, lived in Carolina for many decades; Okay with names in most European languages, Japanese, and Chinese (if correctly romanized, either PY or WG--tones optional)
| SAMPLE https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/odes_21_horace_128kb.mp3


OK, I've added you, minus the sample. If you would, drop me a PM once the project has been cataloged, and I'll add the sample with the archive.org url, because the uploader link will go away after cataloging.

Author:  glennobrien [ May 5th, 2016, 11:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Test Project: Readers Accent Table

Please add these samples to my name:
Danish: http://www.archive.org/download/multilingual_sw_014_1604_librivox/msw014_01_iskovensdybestillero_andersen_go_128kb.mp3
Esperanto: http://www.archive.org/download/multilingual_sw_014_1604_librivox/msw014_02_limerick_lewis_go_128kb.mp3

Author:  gypsygirl [ May 6th, 2016, 8:14 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Test Project: Readers Accent Table

glennobrien wrote:


Will do.

Author:  Anfinwen [ October 22nd, 2016, 2:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Test Project: Readers Accent Table

Can you please put me in the table?

Anfinwen (Anfinwen)
Indiana, US
American, Mid-west
I have family in Minnesota and Kentucky, but I was born and raised in Indiana so my accent is pretty neutral. When I visit family in another state or am around people with an accent I start to mimic them unintentionally. I'm able to do other accents as long as I can find a recording to listen to and mimic.

Thanks in advance!

Author:  gypsygirl [ October 23rd, 2016, 4:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Test Project: Readers Accent Table

Anfinwen wrote:
Can you please put me in the table?

Anfinwen (Anfinwen)
Indiana, US
American, Mid-west
I have family in Minnesota and Kentucky, but I was born and raised in Indiana so my accent is pretty neutral. When I visit family in another state or am around people with an accent I start to mimic them unintentionally. I'm able to do other accents as long as I can find a recording to listen to and mimic.

Thanks in advance!


Will do.

Author:  Lizzyerd85 [ March 15th, 2017, 9:06 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Test Project: Readers Accent Table

I just saw this....

I'd like to add myself but I wouldn't know exactly I've been told :

You have a strange accent

and

You don't have any accent at all.


But I really think, it's mostly what I would consider a 'soft' southern. (( Of course if I visit home - NC - and start reading it'd be a lot strong)).....

Maybe just generalized american. Is that a thing? ;-)

Anyways: Born in Georgia
Grew up half way in Florida ( near the gulf coast )
and Grew up the rest of the way in North Carolina ( central ).
And been back in Florida for 8 years now, so I never had a strong NC accent but it's there every once in awhile.

And like I mentioned earlier, and someone else mentioned in an earlier post: If I'm around people with strong accents ( Broklyn, Southern, Western (texas), even British) I find myself talking like them.

Author:  gypsygirl [ March 16th, 2017, 4:29 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Test Project: Readers Accent Table

Lizzyerd85 wrote:
I just saw this....

I'd like to add myself but I wouldn't know exactly I've been told :

You have a strange accent

and

You don't have any accent at all.


But I really think, it's mostly what I would consider a 'soft' southern. (( Of course if I visit home - NC - and start reading it'd be a lot strong)).....

Maybe just generalized american. Is that a thing? ;-)

Anyways: Born in Georgia
Grew up half way in Florida ( near the gulf coast )
and Grew up the rest of the way in North Carolina ( central ).
And been back in Florida for 8 years now, so I never had a strong NC accent but it's there every once in awhile.

And like I mentioned earlier, and someone else mentioned in an earlier post: If I'm around people with strong accents ( Broklyn, Southern, Western (texas), even British) I find myself talking like them.


This is the info we put in the table. Can you fill in as much as you can, please? Link is the url of your catalog page; I can find that easily enough if you don't know it. Sample is a link to something you've recorded for LV. For accent you can put Gen Am, and then your explanation (if you'd like) under Other Info. For location, make it as detailed or as vague as you're comfortable with.

Code:
|-
| LINK (NAME)
| STATE, COUNTRY, REGION, ETC.  (entries are ordered by this field)
| ACCENT
| OTHER INFO
| SAMPLE

Page 18 of 18 All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/