Test Project: Readers Accent Table

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
RajVO

Post by RajVO »

annise wrote: March 6th, 2018, 1:22 am Hi
This goes into a wiki page - you can't use uploader links - well you can but as soon as the project is catalogued the uploader folders are emptied and so it will return a "file not found" . Thus you need to wait till you have something catalogued

Anne
Hi Anne,
Does the following link of a poem, work as a sample for now? :)
http://ia801508.us.archive.org/7/items/the_quarrel_1803.poem_librivox/quarrel_cawein_raj_64kb.mp3
My Project Catalog
Cheers, Raj.
Foon

Post by Foon »

Hi guys,

Don't know if this is the right place for this question, but I'm kind of wondering where my english accent has ended up by now. I'm not a native speaker, and my way of speaking has always been rather easily influenced by the people around me (going from rather American to English to Irish etc, according to people I meet). If anyone would want to give a listen to any of my recordings and give it their honest opinion, I'd love to hear it! :D
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
amitsharma

Post by amitsharma »

This is nice, sorry I didn't pay attention earlier.

Please add my info into the table.

| amitsharma (Amit Sharma)
| currently in Central India, brought up in US
| North Indian mixed with American (Utah region)
| Fluent in English and Hindi, can speak Marathi & Rajasthani (both Indian languages), some French (I have travelled extensively around the world so some pronounciations may have unlisted accents)
| https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_amitsharma.mp3 (the link is still working)

Thank you,
Amit
Amit Sharma, CC

"You can call me crazy, but you're just jealous that the voices don't talk to you."
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Can you guys please put me in the Readers Accent Table?
Username: JayKitty76
I am in the US,
I speak English, (I have an American accent)
I can pronounce most Spanish words (but can only understand a little).

Prior experience: Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm (dramatic roles), DPLing, regular recording (John Wesley and Chinese Kitten). Am going to BC my own book after these projects are finished.

Thanks!
~JayKitty
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'm not sure why I've never done this, but I should!

mightyfelix (Devorah Allen)
https://librivox.org/reader/11084
USA-Texas
Neutral American accent
Although I've always lived in Texas, I never picked up the Texan accent. Many Texans I meet assume from my voice that I'm from one of the northern states, but I think Neutral American best describes my speech.
https://ia801504.us.archive.org/10/items/spc184_1810_librivox/spc184_oblackandunknownbards_da_128kb.mp3
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

mightyfelix wrote: November 4th, 2018, 8:37 pm I'm not sure why I've never done this, but I should!
You're right :)

Germany, Bavaria

In Englisch: Bavarian-German with some influences from Southern States
In other languages: German
In German: Bavarian / Austrian (I was told that...), if necessary High German but always with a slight pinch of Bavarian

Lived a couple of years in GA, US

Post by JayKitty76 »

JayKitty76 wrote: October 4th, 2018, 11:49 am Can you guys please put me in the Readers Accent Table?
Username: JayKitty76
I am in the US,
I speak English, (I have an American accent)
I can pronounce most Spanish words (but can only understand a little).

Prior experience: Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm (dramatic roles), DPLing, regular recording (John Wesley and Chinese Kitten). Am going to BC my own book after these projects are finished.

Thanks!
~JayKitty
Don't know why I didn't see the edit about the reader catalog page...but:
https://librivox.org/reader/12681

Sorry about that!
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

Just browsing the forums, found this, so I thought - what the hey?

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/new_je_test.mp3

That's my first test that just got approved. I don't actually think that I have an accent - but you never do, yeah?

Any road up - just putting myself out there. (Don't be scared to contact me - I don't bite - unless you ask me
nicely! :lol:)

Erm... A few clues may be in order. I were born in Stockport, England. Dad were in tut Navy, so I lived in a whole
bunch of other places. (See? I can even speak American!)

If we are going official - most of my life in Hampshire (the original,) England (the original). (But whenever I lived anywhere else - I soon found myself speaking like the locals,
Maybe that's just a way of trying to 'fit in', or maybe it's inevitable!)
I have absolutely nothing in this world but time - so I believe I should invest it wisely...
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

I’d call it English, without any regional accent except in just a couple of places there’s a slight hint of one in the vowels... but I couldn’t say what. Don’t know if that’s very helpful :P (from a UK-born but lived in Australia most of my life and speak mostly ‘educated Sustralian’ with the odd English trace here and there)
regards
Jane Bennett
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

We may have a story that requires an Oorstralian accent...

You interested?
I have absolutely nothing in this world but time - so I believe I should invest it wisely...
Jmbau13

Post by Jmbau13 »

johnnyenglish wrote: September 15th, 2019, 3:36 pm We may have a story that requires an Oorstralian accent...

You interested?
Depends on the story and the accent required. :D Mine isn’t broad, but probably recognisable.
regards
Jane Bennett
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Some Librivoxers might be familiar with Kevin Stroud's amazing "History of English" podcast. A page on that site says:
The History of English Podcast invites you to contribute a brief sample of your speech for use in future episodes. The voice samples will be used to illustrate the development and evolution of Modern English accents and dialects.....
https://historyofenglishpodcast.com/voice-samples/

I heard an interview with Kevin Stroud on another podcast and he said he had plenty of samples from the US, UK, Australia.... BUT the sort of people who sent in voice samples had rather standard, homogenised accents, even those who grew up in the Deep South or (in my case) the Deep North. Also, older speakers were not getting represented because, he supposed, they weren't listening to podcasts.

So maybe a few voice samples from older English speakers who might have grown up in regional areas and have retained some regional vowels would help him in this terrific project. Any [other] oldies here from the West Country, Alabama, Newfoundland, Queensland etc .....be interested in recording the few sentences for him? This is an entirely unofficial suggestion. All my idea :)

Best,

Barbara