Test Project: Readers Accent Table

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
MPirovano

Post by MPirovano »

I'd like to be added-

Username: MPirovano

USA>Illinois>Gen Am

-May change accent to British, Russian, Irish, Italian, Arab, or Mid-Atlantic depending on the piece.
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

Been meaning to post for a while:

Accent: Neutral English accent.

Other Info: Born in the Black Country, I currently live in Bath but have never managed to pick up much of the accent of either. Those from the Black Country think I ‘talk posh,’ those in Bath think I ‘sound common.’ I speak quickly, but am told I have good enunciation. I generally try to do character voices.

Sample: http://ia341318.us.archive.org/1/items/visitfrom_saint_nicholas_0912_librivox/visitfrom_st_nicholas_moore_lkp.mp3

Catalogue Page: http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=3615
So little space, so much to say.
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

If you want please add me to the accent list.

Name: Amy

Accent: Mainly a South of Boston Massachusetts accent with a Northern Maine influence(twenty years in both).

(But my son refers to my accent as "Bostonian," by which I think he means pretentious. He likes to playfully tease me. But if I do sound a bit pretentious in Maine, I'm afraid I sound like a hick in the rest of world. I am what I am. )

Thanks,
Amy :)
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
GayleCato

Post by GayleCato »

I think this Accent Table is an interesting idea I would like to be added/add myself to it however I am encountering an issue that may not be an issue at all. I have often been told that when I read anything out loud I develop this "funny accent" that apparently sounds different than when I speak without reading? No one ever seems to be able to identify what it sounds like and of course to me it simply sounds like myself. If this is a strange question I apologize, but can someone tell me what I sound like when I read out loud? I live in Michigan, US but when I listened to the recordings of other readers in that category I can't determine if that is what I sound like or not. Perhaps I'm worrying needlessly and maybe it doesn't matter, but if some one could help me with this I would really appreciate it just the same.

Thanks for the help,
Gayle Cato

here is a link/recording of mine if it helps...

http://ia700106.us.archive.org/9/items/love_ina_cottage_1011_librivox/loveinacottage_willis_gc_64kb.mp3
-Gayle Cato

"Its nice for everything to be well and fun, but we learn better from misery"
-Prof. Gary Burbridge
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

You 'accent' sounds pretty normal to me. I'm from South Central Ontario. <shrug>

Oh and everyone uses a 'reading' voice. I sound different when I read and when I talk.

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

Hi Gayle,

I downloaded and listened to your recording, and I can't say much about dialects as I am neither American or English by birth, but I think you have a very lovely voice, indeed, so I don't think you have much to worry about by going on recording.

But I think I can say so much, that ones voice does change a bit while recording from when reading or talking with no Microphone before one.
I think, in my case anyhow, that I unconsciously want to finish it as fast as possible, and I therefore often read faster while recording than otherwise. And also that somewhere inside I am a bit nervous about recording things, although I love it (having at some time been a Radio-producer). That makes for being a bit "on the Edge" and that changes the voice slightly from the normal daily voice. But it gets easier the more you read and record. By and by I think you learn to relax and just read for pleasure.

About your recording. I listened to it and noticed several "puffs", which you often get with the Microphone to near or in front of your mouth. You should perhaps experiment a little with that. It takes a bit off the feeling from such a beautiful poem as the one you read.
But, I say it again, you do have a very lovely voice. So keep going.

Lars :)
Good friends are like angels... ...you don't have to see them to know they are there
GayleCato

Post by GayleCato »

Lars (Rowland),

I wanted to let you know that your encouraging reply was very much appreciated. I recorded two other poems today and I think the microphone sound thing was better. For me I can read something out loud fine but as soon as I turn on the recorder I am suddenly aware of all the mistakes I shouldn't make and, focusing on the potential errors instead of the reading, it becomes an almost self fulfilling prophesy. I have to work at pretending I don't notice the microphone is there.

Thank you again,
Gayle
-Gayle Cato

"Its nice for everything to be well and fun, but we learn better from misery"
-Prof. Gary Burbridge
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Your 'Past Days' sounds great, Gayle. :thumbs:

David
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

Hi Gayle,

I am happy my thoughts about recording were encouraging.
A friend once, many years ago, said, when I (nervously) began talking and reading with a Microphone in front of me; "Concentrate on one special person, or a small group of friends who you are going to read to, or talk with, people you feel at home and relaxed with. Visualise them before you and read to that person or that group. It may help you. It will.". And it did.

Good luck!
Lars :D
Good friends are like angels... ...you don't have to see them to know they are there
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

Hmm, I posted in August and it looks like I never got added. Should I PM JC (I think she's been busy with other things lately) or is there anyone else watching this thread who knows how to edit the wiki?
So little space, so much to say.
Samanem

Post by Samanem »

If someone is able, I'd like to be added also:

Username: Samanem (Dennis Smith)
Accent: Gen Am
Comments: Bass/Baritone

Thanks!

Dennis
"I ask to be allowed to have a lamp in the evening;
it is indeed wearisome sitting alone in the dark." ~ William Tyndale (1494-1536)
|
Cori

Post by Cori »

Sure thing, I'll pop you both in, if no-one's beaten me to it. (And Amy and Gayle too, if needed.)

[Edited to add: and MP. Hmm, this is turning into a bit of a saga. Better crack open an audiobook to keep me company. Now, where could I get one of those free online ... ]
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Cori

Post by Cori »

Heavens, I've somehow relocated the whole of the USA to Australia & NZ. Strewth, cobber! Umm, don't mind me, just trying to fix this up ...
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Cori

Post by Cori »

All done -- PLEASE CHECK to make sure you're not listed as living in Timbuktu!! (Unless you really are, that is.) And that your name links to your own profile page!!

The only one I didn't do was MPirovano, simply because you've not got any recordings available for people to listen to, yet. :D Post again when you do, and someone'll fix you right up.