Test Project: Readers Accent Table

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Jc

Post by Jc »

page updated. I hope I haven't missed anybody.
Put yourself in the Readers' Accents Table. See this post.
(Busy real life & traveling, sorry if not here often.)
Bill Mosley

Post by Bill Mosley »

Howdy!

Bill Mosley, Central Texas, raised in a suburb of Houston, studied Spanish and Greek, can translate southern drawl.

Couldn't log in on the wiki. Said I didn't exist. So I'm going to spend the day pondering existentialsim. So if I think, do I exist?

Bill
Jc

Post by Jc »

You need to register to be able to edit the wiki, and only a wiki admin (me) can do it, due to spam issues. I changed the Readers Accent page for you. If you want a wiki login, please PM me and I'll create an account for you.
Bill Mosley

Post by Bill Mosley »

Not necessary. I had read that some were doing it theirselfs, and thought I would try.

Good project, but I had a hard time finding it. Finally found another message with the clicker on it, and got there.

This could use some PR.

Bill
Jc

Post by Jc »

yeah, the page was started in the old wiki, which allowed open registration.

Yes, I could do more PR, but I also don't want to bug people with it.
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

Ha,
I think I succeeded adding myself without the page exploding!

Lars :D
Good friends are like angels... ...you don't have to see them to know they are there
CliveCatterall

Post by CliveCatterall »

I managed to add myself to the Accents Table. The trickiest bit was to find my Librivox ID. Confusingly it is different from my Wiki ID. The member list is very very long and I cannot find out how to search for my own name on it!

Clive
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

CliveCatterall wrote:I managed to add myself to the Accents Table. The trickiest bit was to find my Librivox ID. Confusingly it is different from my Wiki ID. The member list is very very long and I cannot find out how to search for my own name on it!
Do you mean your catalogue page, Clive? You can always find this by clicking on your name in any Magic Window where you are reading/have read a section. I notice that on the Accents Table the link from your name doesn't go to your page, but to a non-existent page. Would you like me to change it for you?

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Cori

Post by Cori »

[Ruth typed faster than me.]

To make things more confusing - the memberlist wouldn't help you. The LibriVox ID is in order of people signing up to record (with a bit of a jumble because several hundred people had already recorded when it was first introduced.) It can be found by looking for your catalogue page. (An example, I'm forum member 123, but am catalogued-reader number 92.)

I'm not sure you mean by your Wiki ID ... but it should be possible to have your wiki account be the same name as your forum ID. Mine is, anyway -- it might be a question of asking Jc to edit your existing wiki account or create a new one.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
CliveCatterall

Post by CliveCatterall »

Frankly I'm not sure what I mean.

When I looked at editing the wiki page there was a hyperlink thingy for all of the other entries. There was a number associated with each entry that says something like peopleid or somesuch. I found that I am number 43 on the wiki list and number seven thousand and something on the Memberlist (at the top of most pages). I entered the Memberlist number and patted myself on the back thinking I had worked it all out for myself.

Ha ha. The computer has fooled me again. Just when I think I am going to give up on the thing it says in a wheedling sort of voice:

"No, you can do it. You're getting the hang of it really. I really won't yank the ball away this time. Go on, Charlie Brown have a go. Punt the ball all the way across the field."

So I run up to the computer, my faith restored. YANK.

I end up lying on the football field ... "good grief" ...

If someone more familiar with the ins-and-outs of the librivox magic numbering system would like to get the hyperlink to point at whatever everyone else's hyperlinks point at then I will buy them a pint in the aforementioned pub next time I am in Guildford. Of course I may have to drink it for you if you don't turn up...

Clivey Brown
Cori

Post by Cori »

Chance of a free pint..? It's sorted, Clive!

There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Dang, no free drink for me then. :evil:
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
CliveCatterall

Post by CliveCatterall »

If you've made your will and you have up-to-date health insurance you could always try some of our Dandelion or Rhubarb wine. In fact we'd appreciate a guinea pig (ahem ahem) ... errm, experienced taster. They look completely evil at the moment - cloudy with a seething, roiling quality. A bit like the stuff you find the cauldrons scattered about in Gothic fiction.

We have a small orchard out the back. Mostly eating apples, but some cookers and one very large cider apple tree. I've never dared make cider, having tried some made by a friend where you get the hangover *before* you have any of the intoxicating effects.

This area is a big cider producer, despite the fame of Somerset, Devon, and Kent. In Hereford we have the big Bulmer's brewery, with a beautiful statue of a woodpecker outside, made by a local artist from bits of scrap metal welded together. It doesn't sound great from my description, but it is a marvellous sculpture - more than the sum of its parts.

Clive
Samanem

Post by Samanem »

Enough chit-chat, Clive - get back to recording! [*Sound of whip-crack*]
I need more of your stuff to listen to!! :wink:
AnaESL

Post by AnaESL »

Hi JC,

Would you please add me in the reader's chart?

South America
Accent: In Portuguese: Paulistana (São Paulo capital)

Thank you!

Ana
http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=5103