Test Project: Readers Accent Table

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Janie No. 5

Post by Janie No. 5 »

Can you add me, too? It seems my Wiki password decided to take a vacation and left my mind for good...

Reader: Janie No. 5
Accent: Swabian (slightly?)

She had heard it said that humans are supposed only to use about a tenth of their brains, and that no one was very clear what the other nine-tenths were for, but she had certainly never heard it suggested that they were used for storing penguins.
Ernst Pattynama

Post by Ernst Pattynama »

:oops:

I really do not know how to qualify/describe my (what purports to be an) English accent . . . :oops:

And as I have done some recordings in Dutch, French and German, I :oops: really, really do not know how to categorize those . . .

Could someone . . . would someone be willing to ... describe ... at least ... my ´English´ accent . . .

Thanks!

Ernst Pattynama (mother tongue Dutch)
We are never so ridiculous for the qualities we have as for those we pretend to.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Ernst Pattynama wrote::oops:

I really do not know how to qualify/describe my (what purports to be an) English accent . . . :oops:

And as I have done some recordings in Dutch, French and German, I :oops: really, really do not know how to categorize those . . .

Could someone . . . would someone be willing to ... describe ... at least ... my ´English´ accent . . .

Thanks!

Ernst Pattynama (mother tongue Dutch)
OK I will give a stab at it as I am very familiar with the Dutch accent while speaking English....

It is VERY obvious that you have been taught British English. Your Dutch accent is practically non-existent! The obvious being the pronunciation of the "th" sound. Most Dutch natives can not say it properly and it comes out as "de". Yours is practically perfect. My parents who have been in Canada over 50 years still say "de".

So I would class your accent as "British English with a slight hint of Dutch".

Now if someone wants to comment on the "Britishness", please do so as I have no expertise in that area.

Esther :D
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Rogerstaxi

Post by Rogerstaxi »

Hi Guys,

Maybe I'm being dumb but the accents table seems to be listed by the readers' user names whereas readings in the catalogue are listed as read by their real names.
Difficult therefore to refer to the table to see what accent you will once when downloaded.

Roger
Jc

Post by Jc »

Rogerstaxi wrote:Hi Guys,

Maybe I'm being dumb but the accents table seems to be listed by the readers' user names whereas readings in the catalogue are listed as read by their real names.
Difficult therefore to refer to the table to see what accent you will once when downloaded.

Roger
Good point. I'll put both
Put yourself in the Readers' Accents Table. See this post.
(Busy real life & traveling, sorry if not here often.)
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

You're right, there, Roger. But when you search for a book, the search engine will return a listing of all the books matching your search criteria. To the right of the title will be "(readers)". If you click on that link, it will take you to a table which lists which readers (by forum name) have read which sections of that book.

But it might be a good idea for folks to add there catalog name to the accents table as well as the forum name.

EDIT: cross-posted with Jc.
Paul
[b]DPL: [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12852]Brigands of the Moon[/url]; [url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13151]Brain Twister[/url][/b]
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

That's rather a good point. :wink: The Accents table appears to have a mixture of forum names and catalogue names... some of us have both, but many don't. Any chance of an additional column for catalogue names, JC?

EDIT: Oops, far too slow. :D

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Lady Maria

Post by Lady Maria »

Feel free to add me to the list: French woman wih French accent.
Last edited by Lady Maria on June 11th, 2021, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jc

Post by Jc »

added you! :)
Lady Maria

Post by Lady Maria »

Thanks.

Might be overly curious there, but what do you suppose "glottalisation" and "whine/wine merger" mean?
Last edited by Lady Maria on June 11th, 2021, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jc

Post by Jc »

Lady Maria wrote:Thanks.

Might be overly curious there, but what do you suppose "glottalisation" and "whine/wine merger" should mean? First time I've read of such things, you see... :?
I think "glottalisation" is when you don't pronounce some letters (like Ts) in the middle of words, [eg "letter" would be "le'er"] and the "glottal stop" is what your throat does when you say "uh oh" (like it closes for a split second, and that's what's replacing the Ts in the above example).

Whine/wine is explained if you follow the link. Means words starting with "wh" and those with "w" are pronounced the same, hence Whine/wine.
Lady Maria

Post by Lady Maria »

Thank you, I'll look up the rest.
Rogerstaxi

Post by Rogerstaxi »

Hi folks,

Had another thought for your accents table, honestly don't mean to be obsessive though.
How about adding a column with links to samples of the voices?
Perhaps the LV disclaimer would do.

Roger
DebraLynn

Post by DebraLynn »

You can add me if you'd like to.

USA > MI > LP (So basically no accent at all :) )

I don't do fake accents either, unless the author spells it out. I reads it like I sees it.
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=1166][b][color=violet]"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read" (Groucho Marx)[/color][/b][/url]
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Rogerstaxi wrote:Hi folks,

Had another thought for your accents table, honestly don't mean to be obsessive though.
How about adding a column with links to samples of the voices?
Perhaps the LV disclaimer would do.

Roger
That's a grand idea, Roger. A link to a representative short recording, one that's already in archive.org so there's no risk of the file moving. Very easily done.

EDIT - I've added a 'sample' column in the UK table, and put a sample in for myself. Didn't touch the other tables, in case it's not a welcome change. What do you think, Jc?

David