Test Project: Readers Accent Table

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

karlkuzmich wrote:Would you please add me to the table:
Reader : karlkuzmich (Mark Chulsky), https://librivox.org/reader/8086
Accent: EN > Russian; RU > Moscow
Sure thing.
Karen S.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Everybody's getting into that table, and I thought I wanted to be mentioned there too... :oops:

I don't want to appear coy, but I am not sure what accent[s] I have. I mean, by this time even when speaking Russian, I may not sound a Muscovite any longer (I did, I am sure when I lived there). I can definitely sound Russian when speaking English (although I prefer not to). I'd like to think I can fake some well known accents when speaking English (and even Russian), it's just a matter of a little effort... :?

Does this make any sense or am I just babbling?
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I don't want to appear coy, but I am not sure what accent[s] I have.
I have to listen very carefully to work out that your accent (in English) is Russian. Just the occasional word here and there gives me a clue (e.g. the ell sound in 'allied'). It is clear from the purity of the vowel sounds that there is some faint European-ish accent, but I find it quite hard to guess which. British English, though! I hear no hint whatsoever of American English.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Thanks, Ruth, appreciate your input. :D

I am certain that with practice I can probably do American English better or more stably. In fact, I already tried it when recording for Tom Sawyer (Dramatic) in which I read a small part, and also in Options and The Verge (as "Harry"). And in The Heart's Kingdom I even tried to imitate Appalachian (Tennessee, Kentucky) accent... :oops: Only one piece of feedback I got, about Options. I think it's because we don't discriminate by, which often translates to "not care about", accents. My early work in Return of the Native (as "Timothy Fairway") should probably not count at all... :P

Now if somebody could also classify my Russian accent correctly, we could move to adding me to the table :wink:
tovarisch
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Soon after I moved to the States, I was asked a couple of times whether I was German and another couple of times whether I was French. :roll: At that time regular folks for some reason never heard Russian in my speech :lol:
tovarisch
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

tovarisch wrote:Soon after I moved to the States, I was asked a couple of times whether I was German and another couple of times whether I was French. :roll: At that time regular folks for some reason never heard Russian in my speech :lol:
I am always being asked if I am from Australia or New Zealand (no one can tell which :lol: ). After living in Oregon for 20 years, I think I sound like a native Portlander 8-)
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

You still sound like a native Brit to me ;).

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

I think that paint is dry and the grass has grown...

Please add me to the table.

Reader: tovarisch (tovarisch), http://librivox.org/reader/8169
Accents: When speaking Russian : Moscow (native); When speaking English : UK/RP (most comfortable), Russian
Other Info: Can fake some other accents when speaking English or Russian, which to a casual listener will likely be sufficient. Can read French, Italian, and even German (but probably will sound awful to a native speaker).
tovarisch
smike

Post by smike »

RuthieG wrote:You still sound like a native Brit to me ;).

Ruth
My thoughts exactly, Ruth. :)
Claudia

So much to do, so little time...
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

tovarisch wrote:I think that paint is dry and the grass has grown...

Please add me to the table.

Reader: tovarisch (tovarisch), http://librivox.org/reader/8169
Accents: When speaking Russian : Moscow (native); When speaking English : UK/RP (most comfortable), Russian
Other Info: Can fake some other accents when speaking English or Russian, which to a casual listener will likely be sufficient. Can read French, Italian, and even German (but probably will sound awful to a native speaker).
Added.
Karen S.
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Would love to hear your take on an Australian accent, tovarisch. So many people overseas never quite manage to nail it - they tend to make us sound like Cockneys.

An elderly Ukrainian intellectual lady I knew some years ago took it into her head to teach me a smattering of Russian. I remember her describing my accent as "weaponised".
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

SonOfTheExiles wrote:Would love to hear your take on an Australian accent, tovarisch. So many people overseas never quite manage to nail it - they tend to make us sound like Cockneys...
I bet it would take some practice... I thought about joining the project with a couple lost in Australian wilderness just for the sake of trying speaking Australian, but then I checked myself with my solos lagging and too little practice... :(
tovarisch
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Can you add me too please? I'm Australian (Melbourne, Victoria). Like many of us, I can do the full range from educated East Coast Australian to broad Aussie, Aussie, Aussie (Oi, Oi, Oi!) :thumbs:

I'm also working on my RP British English accent, but I don't think I'm quite there yet. I can read French and Greek (both very slowly and not very fluently.) Useless Trivia: I can also sing in Vietnamese but I can't speak or read it very well.

I've discovered through trial and error (mostly error) that I can't fake an American accent at all - but strangely enough my 5yo daughter can! (Does that mean she watches too much TV? :shock: )
J_N

Post by J_N »

Elizabby wrote:I've discovered through trial and error (mostly error) that I can't fake an American accent at all - but strangely enough my 5yo daughter can! (Does that mean she watches too much TV? :shock: )
Don't worry... children pick stuff like that up very easily... I used to sound full-blown German every year after being on family vacation (usually mostly German kids around to play with) - drove my mom nuts... ;) as we get older we seem to lose that ability... :?
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Elizabby wrote:Can you add me too please? I'm Australian (Melbourne, Victoria). Like many of us, I can do the full range from educated East Coast Australian to broad Aussie, Aussie, Aussie (Oi, Oi, Oi!) :thumbs:

I'm also working on my RP British English accent, but I don't think I'm quite there yet. I can read French and Greek (both very slowly and not very fluently.) Useless Trivia: I can also sing in Vietnamese but I can't speak or read it very well.

I've discovered through trial and error (mostly error) that I can't fake an American accent at all - but strangely enough my 5yo daughter can! (Does that mean she watches too much TV? :shock: )
I've added you.
Karen S.