What's Your Time Budget for Recording?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain » June 28th, 2008, 6:59 am

LeonMire wrote:The amount of time I take usually depends on how important the text is to me.
Very good point. Had forgotten. Same true for me.
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]

Jerome

Post by Jerome » July 7th, 2008, 8:15 pm

I don't have an exact figure for my total work time vs. finished recording time ratio, but I'm pretty sure it's been at least 5:1, with the large majority spent editing. I always go through the whole recording instead of spiking, for a few reasons:

1. There ain't no way I'm getting through a story with only a few mistakes.

2. Sometimes when I swallow, I make weird clicking sounds that I prefer to edit out.

3. My mic seems to have a narrow range between a good base volume level and distortion, so it's easy to get a little too loud or sharp and have to redo a sentence.

4. I've gotten used to adjusting the lengths of pauses to make sure the recording has a nice flow to it, though I'm learning to be a little less picky about this.

So, yeah, editing definitely takes the majority of the time for me. I'm a little faster than I used to be, due to getting more familiar with the editing software I'm using (CoolEdit), but still need to improve on that.

BTW, LeonMire, thanks for posting the link to the vocal warm-up, I'll definitely have to try that out.
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=2137][size=92]My Projects [/size][/url] | [size=92][color=gray] "You can beat a dead horse in the mouth, but you can't make him drink."[/color][/size]

Sibella

Post by Sibella » August 6th, 2008, 9:32 am

Hmmm. Well, a finished 40 minute section takes about an hour, including formatting the text, creating the file, recording, editting, normalizing, and saving. That doesn't include the uploading time and breaks if needed (I usually have to break for water and then I get distracted by other things for a few minutes).
[size=100][b]It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle

[/b][/size]

Sibella

Post by Sibella » August 6th, 2008, 9:34 am

I should add that when I first started, a 40 minute section would probably have taken about 3.5 hours, rather than an hour. But I've had a little experience and have honed my efficiency since then.
[size=100][b]It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -Aristotle

[/b][/size]

bublsort

Post by bublsort » August 8th, 2008, 12:05 am

This has been really interesting to read. Myself, I find 4:1 to be about the ratio, including editing and noise reduction / tweaking, not including reading the text or uploading, but it's going down as I get better at avoiding mistakes. I haven't done that many recordings though.

also, I don't do the spiking thing either. I gave it a try at the beginning, but in my experience I'm not always aware that I've made a mistake or slurred a word, or kicked the mic stand or what have you. Also those pesky mouth noises gotta go.

erin

Sibella

Post by Sibella » August 8th, 2008, 7:31 am

The more you do, the more you will be aware of those mistakes, and can avoid them- and you totally start hearing yourself slur words and mispronounce and all that. I do!

[/b][/size]

LeonMire

Post by LeonMire » August 8th, 2008, 2:58 pm

Sibella wrote:Hmmm. Well, a finished 40 minute section takes about an hour, including formatting the text, creating the file, recording, editting, normalizing, and saving. That doesn't include the uploading time and breaks if needed (I usually have to break for water and then I get distracted by other things for a few minutes).
That's why you're so crazy productive, Sibella! You're doing things about 5 times as efficiently as everyone else.

From what I remember you've told me, you edit as you go, which saves tons of time. Gotta figure out how to do that myself.
I remember how, in college, I got that part-time job as a circus clown, and how the children would laugh and laugh at me. I vowed, then and there, that I would get revenge.
-[url=http://www.deepthoughtsbyjackhandey.com/][u]Jack Handey[/u][/url]

Sibella

Post by Sibella » August 8th, 2008, 3:20 pm

It's all in the software, I think. I also sometimes just thunk the mic and then go back and edit out two or three peeks at a time.

[/b][/size]