Woo!

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
SmokestackJones

Post by SmokestackJones » June 24th, 2008, 5:36 pm

Hey there,

Mine was Facts Concerning The Late Arthur Jermyn and His Family for the Short Story Collection 006:

http://librivox.org/short-story-collection-006/

Strange because I recorded it about a week before I even heard of Librivox.

-SJ
If I'm not me, who am I? And if I'm somebody else, why do I look like me?
-Popeye

Beblach!

My DVD Collection

Shurtagal

Post by Shurtagal » June 24th, 2008, 6:57 pm

My fist was a solo of the amendments to the US Constitution. Which I've thought of fixing so many times, its just so embarrassing! (Poor sound quality, and so many mistakes and stumbles, plus I was so much younger, my voice was so much higher.

nice nostalgic thread. TY Mango.

P.S. could you define chuffed for me? I thought it meant annoyed or peeved, but apparently it means highly contented.
Have you always wanted to act? Well Now you Can!! My Projects

gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl » June 24th, 2008, 7:53 pm

Mine was chapter 11 of Mansfield Park. I was so excited to find that there was an Austen book just started. :)
Karen S.

hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh » June 24th, 2008, 10:35 pm

just listened shurt, and yours was far better than mine... i couldn't even say librivox....!

Mango

Post by Mango » June 24th, 2008, 10:46 pm

Shurtagal wrote: nice nostalgic thread. TY Mango.

P.S. could you define chuffed for me? I thought it meant annoyed or peeved, but apparently it means highly contented.
Thanks! It's very educational for me as well! :D

Oh yeah, sorry, Chuffed must have a different meaning over here, it means Pleased, Happy, Contented etc.
Hope this helps! :D
-All the best, Joe.

Cori
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Cori » June 25th, 2008, 7:02 am

Sibella wrote:Do you know, I have no idea what my first one was? Maybe it was in Federalist Papers.
I had to check back in my first posts to see mine too, so I did this for yours -- it WAS Federalist #50, Sibella! (Go to Profile, Find all posts by Sibella, click to the last page, then browse backwards.)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!

Kaffen

Post by Kaffen » June 25th, 2008, 7:37 am

Cori wrote: I had to check back in my first posts to see mine too, so I did this for yours -- it WAS Federalist #50, Sibella! (Go to Profile, Find all posts by Sibella, click to the last page, then browse backwards.)
I had never done that trick before! Now I see I'm clogging 64 pages of forum content. Ah, it seems both the good and the bad we do may live on!

I'm happy to report that my first completed work was the voice of Mowbray in Richard II. That play took 15 more months before being finished - an early experience that has pushed me more to the solo side.
- Mark

"In narrating everything is simple, but it's the simple things that are difficult." (Apologies to von Clausewitz!)
Mark's Librivoxings

Cori
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Cori » June 25th, 2008, 8:05 am

Oh, that's interesting, Kaffen! My first and second recordings were weekly poetry, so they were catalogued straightways -- and I stayed on the collaborative side for almost 2 years before venturing into a solo.

Wonder if that's a pattern for anyone else..?
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!

Mango

Post by Mango » June 25th, 2008, 8:10 am

Not for me, I'm already doing a solo. :D
-All the best, Joe.

NightOwl

Post by NightOwl » June 25th, 2008, 8:49 am

I'm quite "new", so I can check my hard-drive....

My first recording (after a one minute test recording) was section 4 of Lun-Yu (Analects of Confucius):
http://librivox.org/lun-yu-or-analects-of-confucius-read-in-chinese/

And I jumped to my first solo book two weeks after my first recording. Just couldn't wait to add more Chinese literature/books into Librivox's catalogue. :)

HC

Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain » June 25th, 2008, 2:27 pm

My first was actually a chapter in Ulysses, but
<gulp> that eventually took 1/2 a year to finally
get right, so a clumsey second was a poem
by E. E. Cummings, "nobody loses all the time,"
in a happy Short Poetry Collection 009.

My REAL first choice was a project that never happened,
and eventually wound up in the dead end forum.
Oh, what we thunk when we was first dreamers!
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]

kristin

Post by kristin » June 25th, 2008, 9:38 pm

<Cough> And the first Cloud Mountain recording I heard was The Flag Goes By (version 1). I knew then we were going to have to keep an eye on this one. :wink: (Seriously, go listen to it.)

Oh, alright then, I suppose I can't post here without pointing to my first recording. Death Be Not Proud. Yuck! I'm quite serious. It was awful. I was so nervous recording it.
[size=75]Whereas story is processed in the mind in a straightforward manner, poetry bypasses rational thought and goes straight to the limbic system and lights it up like a brushfire. It's the crack cocaine of the literary world. - Jasper Fforde[/size]

alana

Post by alana » June 26th, 2008, 3:59 am

I don't remember what my first recording was - it was PROBABLY a reading of the weekly poetry. I do remember that my first chapter was Enid Faye from The Film Mystery:

http://www.archive.org/download/film_mystery_0804_librivox/thefilmmystery_07_reeve_64kb.mp3

I plodded through it and it seemed to take forever, even though it's only 15 minutes. It's really awful.

Alana

Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite » June 26th, 2008, 4:09 am

I also had to go back to my early posts to remember which was my first recording. And it turned out to be ch24 from The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins... Don't even want to think about how it sounds... :? :)
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.

Kaffen

Post by Kaffen » June 26th, 2008, 7:08 am

kristin wrote:<Cough> And the first Cloud Mountain recording I heard was The Flag Goes By (version 1). I knew then we were going to have to keep an eye on this one. :wink: (Seriously, go listen to it.)
I did!! Har har!! :lol: :lol:
- Mark

"In narrating everything is simple, but it's the simple things that are difficult." (Apologies to von Clausewitz!)
Mark's Librivoxings