Mic pool?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Fox in the Stars

Post by Fox in the Stars »

I don't know if there would be any need or demand for this, but sharing the thought.

I'm probably going to end up with extra microphones/headsets soon; whoever said "Beginners always overequip" must have known me. ^_^; It got me thinking, maybe some others here have extras, and I wondered if it would be helpful to organise a way of providing microphones to new volunteers. I guess mics of the kind I'm dealing with are pretty cheap, but you never know who might need one...
Laura "Fox in the Stars": fan-author, puppyshipper.
...and [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/LauraFox]LibriVixen. >^-~<[/url]
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

That's a really nice idea Fox, but I can pretty much guarantee who's going to need it first - YOU. Few things are more frustrating than to discover an important piece of equipment broken just as you sit down to do something. I actually have three of them - two at home and one at work - and they're all exactly the same so I can pop in any of them without having to make any adjustments at all.

Microphones, like keyboards and mice, should be viewed as disposable. With good care they'll last quite a while, but they have a tendency to die in the most irritating moments...

Having said that, if you run across someone who needs one badly, I'd encourage you to give them one of yours. I'd do the same. But, particularly with us scattered all over the world, managing a pool of equipment is going to get cumbersome pretty quickly.
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
Fox in the Stars

Post by Fox in the Stars »

Very true! Probably more practical would be just a case-by-case "if you're having trouble getting a/enough mic(s), you can post in the forum and we can try to help" sort of thing, if anything.
Laura "Fox in the Stars": fan-author, puppyshipper.
...and [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/LauraFox]LibriVixen. >^-~<[/url]