What are your favourite recordings?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
lezer

Post by lezer »

aravis

Post by aravis »

My all time fav. is:

"A little Princess" by F.H. Burnett read by Kara; it's just great and it hasn't left my ipod ever since I downloaded it ages ago. ;)

By the way my mum wants me to add that she absolutely loved
"The Clue of the Twisted Candle" by Edgar Wallace (group reading, I think) and
"The Lair of the white worm" by Bram Stoker (read by thislechick)
Elli

"Tiefer und tiefer zogen die Buchstaben ihn hinab, wie ein Strudel aus Tinte...dorthin wo auch Staubfinger verschwunden war. An den Ort, an dem alle Geschichten enden." (Cornelia Funke)
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Thanks lezer!
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Is there anywhere where we can see what the top downloads are???
Well... yes... here, but to be honest I wouldn't set too much store by them. Nobody seems to know if the zipfile of the whole book "scores" the same as a single file.

The "Most Downloaded Items Last Week" is only updated once every couple of months, and is frankly a bit crazy, as the figure for A Christmas Carol is always 10,367. :lol: I keep meaning to have a word with the good folks at Internet Archive about it.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
ApexMark

Post by ApexMark »

"Little Women." I just finished it. It's my first LibriVox download and I was thrilled with it. Mary Anderson read the bulk of it and was an absolute delight to listen to. A wonderful voice with a kind of domestic, homespun charm to it which lends itself perfectly to a work like "Little Women." I'd never read the book before and can recommend it without reserve.

Thanks so much. What a wonderful site. I'm off to hunt down my 2nd book.

Mark in NC
neerajanagarajan

Post by neerajanagarajan »

The Jungle Book. Read by Meredith Hughes. Beautiful reading. That book made me join up here :9:
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

RuthieG wrote:The "Most Downloaded Items Last Week" is only updated once every couple of months, and is frankly a bit crazy, as the figure for A Christmas Carol is always 10,367. :lol: I keep meaning to have a word with the good folks at Internet Archive about it.
I did, by the way, and in some mysterious way it had become stuck. It is no longer in the most downloaded list now. ;)

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

I've just finished Andy Minter's recording of "The Prisoner of Zenda" and loved it. And am halfway through Karen Savage's recording of "The Scarlet Pimpernel." Both are wonderful readers.
CliveCatterall

Post by CliveCatterall »

This is really hard. I have listened to so many recordings from LV. Some are great because the book is well written, and the text carries a reader who may not be the best. Some are good because you just love to hear the voice, and want it to go on and on.

In the second category I'd put American Indian Fairy Tales read by Chip. You can almost hear the wind outside the teepee. Beautiful, beautiful reading.

Clive Catterall
pdw

Post by pdw »

My current favorite is The Rime Of The Ancient Mariner read by Kristen Luoma. Would you believe I listened to it after hearing the Iron Maiden song of the same name?
Who said that heavy metal had no value? :D
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

I'm really enjoying Peter Bobbe's recording of Joyce's Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man:

http://librivox.org/a-portrait-of-the-artist-as-a-young-man-by-james-joyce/

It's an excellent recording of this difficult novel.
Hazel Pethig

Post by Hazel Pethig »

My favourite so far would have to be PG Wodehouse's "The Indiscretions of Archie". It' my daughters favourit too. Especially the part where Archie is stuck on the stair landing in a horrid yellow one-piece bathing costume!

--Hazel :lol:
Cori

Post by Cori »

Just fished this out of the Deleted bin ... umm - have I put it back in the right place, though..? :D

(And many apologies if some other admin was just dipping it in there to despam it and is now wondering what happened!)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Steampunk

Post by Steampunk »

Cori wrote:Just fished this out of the Deleted bin ... umm - have I put it back in the right place, though..? :D

(And many apologies if some other admin was just dipping it in there to despam it and is now wondering what happened!)
I was. :) I put it in the bin and promptly got swamped by RL.

No worries, though, I'll get to it later...

Jim
Rick Rodstrom

Post by Rick Rodstrom »

Taming The Bicycle by Mark Twain is the funniest story I've listened to on Librivox, and the reader, Eugene Pinto, could be Twain himself. It was included in the very first Short Story collection. The problem is, when you search for Twain, the story doesn't appear, and when I looked under Various today in the catalog, the Short Story collections 1-39 didn't appear either. You have to do a little digging to find the Story collections now, and unless you knew what you were looking for, you'd never find this little gem. Hopefully somebody can make it easier to find.