Memberlist Stats

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
kri

Post by kri » February 12th, 2006, 5:29 pm

OK, so I was just bored and curious. Here are a few things of note that I found in our memberlist...
  • 1. There are six and a half pages of members who have joined, but have not made a single post yet.
    2. Kayray has the most posts at 1566. Then comes thistlechick and hugh.
    3. There are (very close) just as many users that joined in 2005 (from Sep.) as there that have joined in just the two months of 2006 so far.
What does this tell me? We're growing fast with a large silent crowd, and some of us spend a lot of time at Librivox (myself included).

BradBush

Post by BradBush » February 12th, 2006, 6:59 pm

February alone is 4 1/2 pages of the 17 and its only the 12th. The membership is exploding.

Brad

kri

Post by kri » February 12th, 2006, 7:46 pm

I know!! Now we just need to encourage these no-posters to help us record!

ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc » February 12th, 2006, 8:27 pm

kri wrote:I know!! Now we just need to encourage these no-posters to help us record!
That's a lovely dream, but it's going to remain a dream. My experience with other forums tells me that most folks join because they think they have to just to poke around. The overwhelming majority will take a quick look, and then disappear never to be seen again.

The trick is to grab those few who actually POST something. If we can make them feel welcome, then we'll get steady readers out of about half of them.

This reading thing is actually quite a lot of hard work. Not everyone is into that, but those who ARE into it are precious resources. Let's not worry about those who don't post; if they weren't intrigued enough to say hi then they're not going to be intrigued enough to get more involved. But those who DO say hi should be messaged with suggestions for things to read. Once they feel that thrill, most of them will be back for more.
-Chip
[url]http://ChipDoc.com/LibriVox/[/url]
[i]The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.[/i]
~Mark Twain

BradBush

Post by BradBush » February 12th, 2006, 8:49 pm

kri wrote:
  • 2. Kayray has the most posts at 1566. Then comes thistlechick and hugh.
Here is my favorite part of Kara's stats:
Total posts: 1568
[12.20% of total / 11.28 posts per day]

She has an eighth of the posts on the board, and she has posted every 2 hours - day and night without breaks ;-)

PS. Chip is going to pass her in approximately 2008
[4.64% of total / 14.90 posts per day]

kri

Post by kri » February 12th, 2006, 8:55 pm

Yow, I hadn't paid attention to the average posts per day. I'm at 10.something, almost where Kara's at.

ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc » February 12th, 2006, 8:55 pm

Cool! That means that I'll catch up with her in only about 3.5 years! :D
Chip's Stats wrote:Total posts: 596
[4.64% of total / 14.90 posts per day]
-Chip
[i]The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.[/i]
~Mark Twain

BradBush

Post by BradBush » February 12th, 2006, 9:14 pm

Actually, I am a total math/engineer geek, and so I had to go do the calc:

(1568 - 596) / (14.9 - 11.28 ) = 268 days

So you will really catch up in under a year!

BradBush

Post by BradBush » February 12th, 2006, 9:19 pm

Here though is the challenger for "most addicted to LibriVox!":
Total posts: 1126
[8.75% of total / 15.22 posts per day]
Who can guess who this is?

thistlechick

Post by thistlechick » February 12th, 2006, 9:23 pm

*blushes profusely*
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!

kayray
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kayray » February 12th, 2006, 9:30 pm

I think my high average daily post count is leftover from the early days when I personally answered *almost* every question and post.

Now that I have abundant help, I can shut up! :)

Kara
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)

Rev. Steve

Post by Rev. Steve » February 12th, 2006, 10:57 pm

ChipDoc wrote:This reading thing is actually quite a lot of hard work. Not everyone is into that, but those who ARE into it are precious resources. Let's not worry about those who don't post; if they weren't intrigued enough to say hi then they're not going to be intrigued enough to get more involved. But those who DO say hi should be messaged with suggestions for things to read. Once they feel that thrill, most of them will be back for more.
Big fan of encouraging folks...

Big fan of being welcoming...

But if folks are pounced upon as fresh meat, and made to feel like they are being assigned a workload... even just a suggested workload, I would not expect to see them again.

Provide folks with opportunities, and encouragement, and let them pick their own tasks... They don?t need suggestions, unless they ask.

I do think that one of the things we could do better, is to stop telling people how hard recording is. The top of the ?Going Solo? page includes the notice that ?...recoding a book is a lot harder than you might think.? Which has always struck me as a little discouraging, and an underhanded way of telling me that I am not as smart as I think I am; and I am SURE that is not what is intended. This idea pops up in a couple of places ? but this is the one that sticks in my mind.

thistlechick

Post by thistlechick » February 12th, 2006, 11:07 pm

Rev. Steve wrote: I do think that one of the things we could do better, is to stop telling people how hard recording is. The top of the ?Going Solo? page includes the notice that ?...recoding a book is a lot harder than you might think.? Which has always struck me as a little discouraging, and an underhanded way of telling me that I am not as smart as I think I am; and I am SURE that is not what is intended. This idea pops up in a couple of places ? but this is the one that sticks in my mind.
Maybe it just needs to be worded differently... I know that when I first arrived, I thought that I would jump right in and read Anne of Green Gables all by myself... but I had no idea how difficult it would be and I started right out frustrated and disappointed...

You're right, recording isn't hard... it just takes a lot of time and commitment to do a series of related recordings AND edit them AND see the project through...
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!

ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc » February 12th, 2006, 11:08 pm

Rev. Steve wrote:I do think that one of the things we could do better, is to stop telling people how hard recording is. The top of the “Going Solo” page includes the notice that “...recoding a book is a lot harder than you might think.” Which has always struck me as a little discouraging, and an underhanded way of telling me that I am not as smart as I think I am; and I am SURE that is not what is intended. This idea pops up in a couple of places – but this is the one that sticks in my mind.
I've got to disagree with you on this one Steve. Here's why: when most people think of reading a book, they think of the nicely relaxing job of curling up with one and reading it to themselves. Reading it aloud is a completely different experience. Couple that with the mechanics of actually recording the thing and the process really does become kind of difficult - particularly for folks who are new to this.

You do a lot of public speaking in your line of work; most folks don't have that experience. They have to deal with both speaking and recording as new experiences. I don't claim to speak for anyone else, but I'm familiar with both speaking and recording and I certainly find it hard work - I find it worthwhile and I'm glad to do the work, but it's less than honest to say that I find it easy to do.
-Chip
~Mark Twain

Rev. Steve

Post by Rev. Steve » February 13th, 2006, 12:07 am

ChipDoc wrote:I've got to disagree with you on this one Steve. Here's why: when most people think of reading a book, they think of the nicely relaxing job of curling up with one and reading it to themselves. Reading it aloud is a completely different experience. Couple that with the mechanics of actually recording the thing and the process really does become kind of difficult - particularly for folks who are new to this.

You do a lot of public speaking in your line of work; most folks don't have that experience. They have to deal with both speaking and recording as new experiences. I don't claim to speak for anyone else, but I'm familiar with both speaking and recording and I certainly find it hard work - I find it worthwhile and I'm glad to do the work, but it's less than honest to say that I find it easy to do.
Perhaps my feelings about this are like my feelings about ?math anxiety.? A LOT of math teachers tell their students ?This is really hard? and the kids learn, that math is hard. I have known others, who tell students how simple equations are ? and the students learn that math is easy. I certainly can?t say that there is a correlation ? but I know where I would place my bet.

Perhaps it is just a matter of perspective?

Translating scripture from Hebrew or Greek is difficult, writing a sermon can be difficult, sitting with someone so that they don?t die alone can be difficult; reading great works of literature and making them available to others ? that is a pleasure, and a privilege.

Congratulations on your promotion by the way.