Time to leave Librivox - for the moment.

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
LeonMire

Post by LeonMire »

I've heard of the sandwich method before. And I should remember to use it more often. It seems to have particular applicability on LibriVox, since our contact with others on the forums is pretty impersonal, and not really life-changing. Good stuff.
I remember how, in college, I got that part-time job as a circus clown, and how the children would laugh and laugh at me. I vowed, then and there, that I would get revenge.
-[url=http://www.deepthoughtsbyjackhandey.com/][u]Jack Handey[/u][/url]
sesquipedalian101

Post by sesquipedalian101 »

SSherris wrote: If you want to record something you've written and post it to the web with a non-commercial license, which of these two functions do you need to utilize? Neither! And in fact there are absolutely no restrictions on what you can do with recordings that you own. There's just no reason they need to be here.
So, if I own the rights to a recording and I release it into the public domain, is there still no reason that they need to be here?

IMWTK!
-101-
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You also have to own the content of the recording. I'm not sure if you meant that or not.

But texts have to be published to be posted here.

However, you can post them at archive.org or podiobooks.com (I think that's the other one recommended) without having the "previously published" restriction.

Here's a link to our text policies: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Recording_%26_Text_Policies
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
ArthurKrolman

Post by ArthurKrolman »

I love Librivox.org and I love that the recordings can be freely used, copied or modified by anyone for any purpose with no threatening restrictions.

At the same time, I believe that calling any media recording "public domain" property is bad. Why? Because something that can be used by unlimited people at the same time is not property at all and thus belongs in no one's "domain".

I love private property -- especially in my own household domain. It is an ingenious concept, that if universally respected, avoids all human conflict over scarce resources. Ideas are intellectual, yes. But property, no. And any attempt to stop someone from using an idea by threatening them with fines or imprisonment is initiating violence over another human's property: his body or his possessions. Librivox makes no such threats.

That's why I love it.