Open Library - 14 book challenge?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

OK so this big event for Internet Archive / opencontentalliance/ open library got me thinking.

Their initial collection will be 14 books of American fiction. I have not looked at all of them, and some may be fairly big, not sure, but what do you think about making an offical "partnership" with archive to make librivox recordings of all of them? ... target completion? say March 1, 2006?

I guess we already have a fair bit on our plate, but with an official announcement like that perhaps our volunteer base would grow significantly?

Anyway, just a though, what do you think?
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

oh & kara, a number of them are kids books!
Squiddhartha

Post by Squiddhartha »

It sounds like a worthy goal! Before we set dates, though, we should check the size and complexity of the books...
This username is also my Gmail address.
"But if you've got a nuclear bomb, then you don't need the Jell-O!"
GordMackenzie

Post by GordMackenzie »

I'd be willing to be "team lead" on Fenimore Cooper's "The Spy". I've never read it, but it is supposed to be pretty good (it was his first big "hit" ... not as well known as "Mohicans", but popular in its day).

I'm not sure if doing all 14 would generate a lot of attention, but it couldn't hurt.

My concern, however, would be that many of the books are lesser known American writings. I don't think there would be much of an audience for these books outside of the context of The Open Library.

Personally, I think we would be better served to focus on the popular books in the public domain that are liable to generate interest.

Working on the most popular texts accessed from Gutenberg (which has been recommended elsewhere in these forums) would probably garner more listeners, and more volunteers.

After all, which would you rather read: "War of the Worlds", "Pride and Prejudice", and "the Divine Comedy" or "the Moccasin Ranch", "Complete Works of Frank Norris", and "The JimmyJohn Boss"?

I support and salute what the Open Library is doing and Kahle's vision. If we can manage to both create readings for the Open Library AND tackle truly popular works, then well and good.

So, in summary, I would say that we should target specific works from the Open Library (rather than cover all 14), and continue to record books as recommended by the volunteers.

My 2 pennies...

g/
Gord Mackenzie
gord[dot]mackenzie[at]gmail.com
Librivox Wiki Page: [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/GordMackenzie]GordMackenzie[/url]