Instead of CD's here is an idea

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
rumplestiltchen

Post by rumplestiltchen »

I have an i-Pod that I put my books on and then I have an i-Pod Road trip in my car. I plug the i-Pod into the road trip and off I go! It is the best present my husband ever bought me.
kayray

Post by kayray »

Yup, yup, I never use cds at all anymore. Everything goes onto the iPod, and then the iPod sits in a Macally FM Cup in my car and comes through my radio and charges at the same time!
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
jpandya

Post by jpandya »

Cd's are almost a thing of the past for us - so cumbersome, easy to scratch and lose. Ipod's all the way!!
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

I have a Tuner/CD/MP3 player in my car. While it's great to be able to listen to a zillion LV Chapters off a MP3 CD, what's even better is that the in-sadh player also has a mini plug in the front that I can plug my iPod into. Excellent, versitile item to own.

BTW: CD ARE great for sharing. Difficult to share (spread the LV word) from iPod to iPod.
ExEmGe

Post by ExEmGe »

Cloud Mountain wrote:CD ARE great for sharing. Difficult to share (spread the LV word) from iPod to iPod.
But... If you have a Sansa, or the current Creative Zen (& possibly some others) Then you can keep your books on SD chips and just swap those. a 1Gb chip costs about £4 here.
Regards
Andy Minter
bublsort

Post by bublsort »

I have an FM transmitter for my ipod but it almost never works because there are too many radio stations in Los Angeles. You need to have some wide empty bands of FM for it to work. It is fine on a road trip out of town though. Still if anyone's considering buying one of these i would really recommend getting some kind of radio with an ipod or aux plug in instead.
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

I drive an older car that has no CD player, so I plug my Creative mp3 player (cheaper than an iPod) into the cassette deck with a cassette adapter that cost only a few dollars. It isn't very high-tech, but it works great. Getting files onto the Creative player is simple -- download files, plug player into computer, drag and drop files straight into it. Easy and inexpensive.

By the time I finally buy a new car, CD players will probably be passe; so it is entirely possible that I will skip straight from cassette deck to in-dash mp3 input and never own a car with a CD player.
Laurie Anne
ductapeguy

Post by ductapeguy »

Yup. We use a $20 on sale 1GB Samsung Mp3 player with a cassette adapter in the car. It works just peachy for podcasts.
[size=84] Sean McGaughey
Librivox: [url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=231]Catalog[/url] | [url=http://ductapeguy.net]ductapeguy.net-- My music and podcasts[/url][/size]
Planish

Post by Planish »

Before I got my iPod I had a portable CD player and used it in the Taurus with a cassette adaptor. Even though our other car, the Cavalier, had a CD player, I used an FM transmitter for my mp3 CDs because the built-in CD player wasn't mp3 CD compatible.

The other cool thing I discovered was that I could hook up the FM transmitter (with a DC power adaptor to save batteries) to my Mac upstairs and broadcast either my iTunes playlists or streaming audio from internet "radio" stations to a cheap FM radio receiver (under a dust cover) in my basement workshop, which often has dust and debris flying around.

With a couple of inexpensive off-the-shelf FM radio receiver headsets I could host my own Silent Disco. (check out the "Same video with Natural Sound")
There is no frigate like a book / To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page / Of prancing poetry.
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Thanks for this info... I have been frustrate because the CD player in my car skips so much when we're driving that it is pretty much useless... and there is not aux jack to tap into the speakers (it's an old CD player I guess)... but I just ordered one of those FM transmitters, and since we live in the middle of nowhere, I'm glad to hear that it should work well for us... I can't wait for it to arrive! Sure beats bringing a pair of portable speakers with us in the car =)
bublsort wrote:I have an FM transmitter for my ipod but it almost never works because there are too many radio stations in Los Angeles. You need to have some wide empty bands of FM for it to work. It is fine on a road trip out of town though. Still if anyone's considering buying one of these i would really recommend getting some kind of radio with an ipod or aux plug in instead.
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!