How many recorded hours are added per week or month?

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
cmhodge

Post by cmhodge »

I was just wondering if I'll ever catch up :) I spend about 2.5 hours in my car every day. Most days I am listening to a Librivox recording. Let's say I listen to 40 hours a month-- is new content being added at a faster rate than this?

thanks,
Chris
kristin

Post by kristin »

Ummm... I think you'll need a longer commute. Without watching the numbers for a couple of weeks I can't give you an answer as to how many hours we are adding per week/month but I can tell you on average we are finishing 60-70 projects per month. So yes, we add more than 40 hours a month.
[size=75]Whereas story is processed in the mind in a straightforward manner, poetry bypasses rational thought and goes straight to the limbic system and lights it up like a brushfire. It's the crack cocaine of the literary world. - Jasper Fforde[/size]
Cori

Post by Cori »

Unfortunately, Chris, I think it might be quite difficult for you to catch up.

At the time of writing, we have 242 days, 1 hours, 55 minutes, and 45 seconds of recordings committed to the public domain. Even if we stopped producing things tomorrow, it would take about 12 years during commuting-time to listen to the entire catalogue.

However, we have no plans for stopping tomorrow. In fact, we're currently adding projects at the rate of a little over two a day. Of course these vary in length from three New Year poems lasting a total of 11mins, up to the full 24 hour glory of Moby Dick. Or possibly our longest recording, Dickens' Bleak House. The mythical average project is about 3.5 hours, and so we're averagely adding about 230 hours a month.

What to do? A helpful lottery win would free up your work hours, and give you the 7 hours a day (plus a bit more at weekends) which is needed to keep up with our average monthly output. That wouldn't help with the backlog, though. I think the best thing would be to start listening in your sleep which gives you another 8 hours listening a day. Plus listen first thing in the morning, and in the evening as well as while driving, which would give a total of mebbe 15 hours a day. That would see you abreast of our entire output, past and ongoing, less than two years from now.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

another quick way to boost listening times is to take advantage of the stereo nature of human design to double audio consumption: bleak house in left ear; moby dick in the right ear ... what could be better?

;-)
puffin1

Post by puffin1 »

Uh, I think I need to hooooom sit down for a ... man alive minute. No, really, I'll be fine.
[size=84][color=#483d8b][b]Is it weird in here, or is it just me? [/b][/color][/size]- [size=75][i]Steven Wright[/size][/i]
Great Plains

Post by Great Plains »

I recommend increasing the playback speed to "chipmunk on meth". You won't understand anything, but you'll be able to listen to the entire Librivox collection in just under an hour.
Daniel, the Cylon
([url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=2136]LV Profile[/url])
cmhodge

Post by cmhodge »

Holy cow :shock:, I guess it's hopeless :lol:
I once joked to my wife that we need to move farther away from my work so that I can have more time listen in the car. Seriously, you guys have brought a great gift into my life! I haven't had the time to read real literature in years what with work and kids (5) and all, but now I'm making up for lost time. My only regret is I don't get to listen to music as much as I'd like to.
Thanks everyone! :clap: :thumbs:
Chris