Forum Level of Nice-ness. Cultureshock.

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
thistlechick
Posts: 6178
Joined: November 30th, 2005, 12:14 pm
Location: Michigan

Post by thistlechick » January 31st, 2006, 8:31 am

Stephan wrote:How would i feel, if i am the person adressed by "random encouragment", if i find out?
oh, I think Annie can handle my random-mid-west-american-nicey-nice encouragement ;)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!

kri
Posts: 5354
Joined: January 3rd, 2006, 8:34 pm
Location: Keene NH
Contact:

Post by kri » January 31st, 2006, 8:41 am

Stephan wrote:May i answer to the last post, pleease? Which in my humble opinion is indeed very much a valuable contribution. I don?t need to have the last word, no, but this is too interesting.

Raises a moral question don?t it?
How would i feel, if i am the person adressed by "random encouragment", if i find out? If i find out that the encouragment was not really addresed to me personally but rather made to create a certain librivox athmosphere and the encourager is dropping some startegically placed encouragment here and there...coincidentally by a click on my book project?
Wouldn?t i feel that there is someting wrong?
Or would i think: "Hey, good cheerleading here" (no pun intended).
I really don?t know. But i'd tend to answer that i would feel rather awkward, really. :(
Stephan, what is the difference to you if they are "cheerleading" for you not because they want to cheer you on, but because they want to create a supportive atmosphere for the whole of Librivox, or don't cheer you on at all? Just ignore it and go on your way. If it makes other people happy, and you don't care, why bother?

Or, you could make it clear that you don't need or want encouragement, unless someone is directing a comment at you specifically because they feel a need to.

This really isn't a huge issue. It seems Stephan that there are many varied styles of communication here, and you want them all to fit you. I apologize if this seems attacking, or if it's an untrue assumption. That's the impression I get.

I agree with Betsie about needing general encouragement. Some of us are needy humans, and like interaction for interaction's sake. You know this is one of the reasons I frequent the Librivox forums so much, because I need the interaction with people. Perhaps it does stroke ones ego to be acknowledged and encouraged just for the sake of it, but what's wrong with that?

raouf
Posts: 49
Joined: December 27th, 2005, 4:49 pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Post by raouf » January 31st, 2006, 8:53 am

kri wrote:
I agree with Betsie about needing general encouragement. Some of us are needy humans, and like interaction for interaction's sake. You know this is one of the reasons I frequent the Librivox forums so much, because I need the interaction with people. Perhaps it does stroke ones ego to be acknowledged and encouraged just for the sake of it, but what's wrong with that?
I also think that Betsie's idea is a good one and problably merits a thread of its own.
For non-solo projects, is it fair to assume that the coordinator of the project would also have the privelege/responsibility for the encouragement?

First timers may encounter a number of issues, technical or psychological, I know that there are threads for these issues but would these individual look to the coordinator as a mentor too?

thistlechick
Posts: 6178
Joined: November 30th, 2005, 12:14 pm
Location: Michigan

Post by thistlechick » January 31st, 2006, 9:01 am

raouf wrote:
I also think that Betsie's idea is a good one and problably merits a thread of its own.
For non-solo projects, is it fair to assume that the coordinator of the project would also have the privelege/responsibility for the encouragement?

First timers may encounter a number of issues, technical or psychological, I know that there are threads for these issues but would these individual look to the coordinator as a mentor too?
Yes, I think it is fair to say that the Book (and Metadata) Coordinators serve the role of mentor.... at least that is how I see it for myself... I am there to help the readers in whatever format they require.... if they need help that I cannot provide, I can direct them to the resources they need....

For what it's worth, Stephan, I've noticed that you do a great job as a Book Coordinator. You are very attentive to the readers and very effectively organize the process for them.
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!

hugh
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 8001
Joined: September 26th, 2005, 4:14 am
Location: Montreal, QC
Contact:

Post by hugh » January 31st, 2006, 9:02 am

raouf - that's kinda a good idea- a LV buddy system for soloists. someone who volunteers to check in on your progress answer questions etc. so that it doesn't fall completely on the shoulders of the meta coordinators to do all of that stuff.

thistlechick
Posts: 6178
Joined: November 30th, 2005, 12:14 pm
Location: Michigan

Post by thistlechick » January 31st, 2006, 9:07 am

hugh wrote:raouf - that's kinda a good idea- a LV buddy system for soloists. someone who volunteers to check in on your progress answer questions etc. so that it doesn't fall completely on the shoulders of the meta coordinators to do all of that stuff.
Also, ideally, it would be someone who could help with proof-listening as they go along... I was thinking about this with Robinson Crusoe... as much as I enjoyed reading the book as a teenager, I'm not able to tackle that role right now.
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!

Stephan
Posts: 1564
Joined: December 18th, 2005, 9:38 am
Location: Leverkusen, Germany

Post by Stephan » January 31st, 2006, 9:43 am

It is a good idea of raouf to make a cut before the last handfull of posts and create a new thread out of them to devellop the idea further there. Easier re-findable then - not dug deep into another topic.

Betsie, thank you for the compliment on book-coordinating. I remember i counseled one of yours to see how its done.


@kri,

i am still thinking about what you?ve said. Please mind, that i expressedly started this thread knowing and stating that it's possibly just "me me me" - but that i feel and think it's more - right at the start. Please try to understand me, that i felt oblidged to alert librivox of possible problems, after i felt something. It's for librivox. It's certainly not for me, as you can see by the amount of beating i take for it.

You?re absolutly right. I gotta be mindfull and ask myself - and I am doing that over and over again.
I know how silly it sounds, what i ask. Silly as long as it's just me beeing uncomfortable and no one else is backing me up, saying that he too finds it weird here. Thats what you all poke at, and you?re all abolsutly right. Minority-majority thing.

Nobody has to participate in such a "finding out" if he doesn't trust me, that it might hold a possible problem for librivox. Thats why it is so damn too interesting to stop talking about it. Even if its tough work. Even if we beat each other up about it. Librivox gotta use EVERY chance its got to make itself comfortable for an as large community as possible. And this could paradoxically mean (and thats my hypothesis) to be less nice. As weird as its sounds. Its too nice in here. This is the tough bite to gulp.

Simply, I am triing to alert you, ahead of time, mostly about my gutfeeling (because i am no culturanthropologist) that many europeans might possibly find it kinda weird and overdriven here after they?ve been a while around, because they've just been raised differently.

I know, i am projecting myself to a whole culture - which is pretty dumb and awkward and unscientific. But you know the cause:
I asked myself, if i must let others go on to call me rude. And the answer was "no" to a certain extend. The problem does NOT only lie in my person alone. Something else is the cause too. It's not only my level of rudeness which i shall lower (and i did as many noticed). But it is also the other persons level of accepting less rudeness thats causing distress - and which he might raise - to feel less distress. Viceversa the level of nice-ness.

Our differences in nice-ness levels is even more important. It makes me feel, like i can?t live up to you all, makes me feel awkward. Do you really think i am the only one with this feeling?

Please mind too that there is as good as no other german (or even european?) here communicating so much as me and maybe thats why i am so atuned and sensitive to the different perception. But yes, maybe i am just overly sensitive and egocentric. I am asking you, to look into yourselfs and find out if you do have a higher level of niceness? And to ask yourself in which way this might cause trouble with "ruder" cultures? Ask yourself if you can ask the "ruder" beeings, even whole cultures (if i am right), to adopt your high level of niceness.

Nobody needs to, but it's interesting, and might at best avoid problems ahead of their time, before the europeans are here. Or worse, before they left because they think it's too american in here. (no pun intended). Take my word for it, my dad for instance would never stand to be here because it's too american. Do you think he is the only one thinking so? Now, he is a pretty simple fellow. Lets try to figure out what he means, heck, we are civilised and intelligent.

On a very large and far scale, and rev. steve scraped it, it's the discussion about where the anti-americanism comes from - and if librivox doesn't have a chance to steer clear of it.

I mean isn't that topic enormously interesting? And immensly worth talking about? We just get side-tracked so often, by us beeing personaly affronted. Unavoidable, i fear, in a debate over culture, egos, moral, niceness, and personal opinion.

In this what could be a wonderfull crackerbarrel-discussion we simply lack the right amount of beer!
Last edited by Stephan on January 31st, 2006, 11:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/PromotionalMaterial][color=indigo]Want to promote LV? Print the poster and pin it at your library[/color][/url] | [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/Stephan_Moebius][color=indigo]My wiki page[/color][/url]

Stephan
Posts: 1564
Joined: December 18th, 2005, 9:38 am
Location: Leverkusen, Germany

Post by Stephan » January 31st, 2006, 11:43 am

Maybe its just too tiresome. I?d understand. :roll:
Just don?t answer anymore. Lets wait for more europeans and hope they stay and communicate.
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/PromotionalMaterial][color=indigo]Want to promote LV? Print the poster and pin it at your library[/color][/url] | [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/Stephan_Moebius][color=indigo]My wiki page[/color][/url]

BradBush
Posts: 173
Joined: October 18th, 2005, 3:41 pm
Location: Texas

Post by BradBush » January 31st, 2006, 11:53 am

I'll quit being nice... just shut up and read ;-)

Stephan
Posts: 1564
Joined: December 18th, 2005, 9:38 am
Location: Leverkusen, Germany

Post by Stephan » January 31st, 2006, 11:54 am

That was unnessary.
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/PromotionalMaterial][color=indigo]Want to promote LV? Print the poster and pin it at your library[/color][/url] | [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/Stephan_Moebius][color=indigo]My wiki page[/color][/url]

BradBush
Posts: 173
Joined: October 18th, 2005, 3:41 pm
Location: Texas

Post by BradBush » January 31st, 2006, 11:57 am

Oh, its just a joke. I really find the topic pretty interesting, and see your point. Just trying to help you out a bit to take down the niceness level ;-)

But really, I have been trying to read the forum less, and read the books more, and its been working out for me.

I think your contribution is great Stephan, so get over this little problem, and keep posting what you want, and reading more books, and lets all move on.

Stephan
Posts: 1564
Joined: December 18th, 2005, 9:38 am
Location: Leverkusen, Germany

Post by Stephan » January 31st, 2006, 12:00 pm

Grab a beer, brad.
They are doing a recording session right at the next table. :D

Didnt get your joke. Irony in international forums is the hardest.
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/PromotionalMaterial][color=indigo]Want to promote LV? Print the poster and pin it at your library[/color][/url] | [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/Stephan_Moebius][color=indigo]My wiki page[/color][/url]

thistlechick
Posts: 6178
Joined: November 30th, 2005, 12:14 pm
Location: Michigan

Post by thistlechick » January 31st, 2006, 12:38 pm

Stephan wrote:On a very large and far scale, and rev. steve scraped it, it's the discussion about where the anti-americanism comes from - and if librivox doesn't have a chance to steer clear of it.
oh, I didn't realize there was any anti-Americanism going on here... you mean there are actually people who don't like Americans? *gasps*
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!

Stephan
Posts: 1564
Joined: December 18th, 2005, 9:38 am
Location: Leverkusen, Germany

Post by Stephan » January 31st, 2006, 12:48 pm

Yes, in some small neglectable minor areas of the world. Don?t worry about them. :lol:
[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/PromotionalMaterial][color=indigo]Want to promote LV? Print the poster and pin it at your library[/color][/url] | [url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/Stephan_Moebius][color=indigo]My wiki page[/color][/url]

thistlechick
Posts: 6178
Joined: November 30th, 2005, 12:14 pm
Location: Michigan

Post by thistlechick » January 31st, 2006, 12:50 pm

Stephan wrote:Yes, in some small neglectable minor areas of the world. Don?t worry about them. :lol:
oh, don't worry, I never do ;)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!

Post Reply