[FRANCAIS] Les oeuvres du domaine public

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Kitoune

Post by Kitoune »

Bonjour ? tous,

Je suis all? sur le site de gutenberg et il n'y a pas beaucoup d'oeuvres en Fran?ais (enfin, c'est suffisant pour commencer ? enregistrer ...).

Je voulais vous dire qu'il existe un site officiel fran?ais (http://gallica.bnf.fr/classique/) qui recense une grande partie des oeuvres du domaine public en langue Fran?aise. Ce site appartient ? la biblioth?que nationale de France, nous pouvons donc leur faire confiance sur la notion de "domaine public".

Lorsque j'aurais enregistr? plusieurs chapitres des "Liaisons dangereuses". Est-ce que je pourrais lancer mon propre projet ? (la lecture collective de Madame Bovary par exemple).

J'oubliais : En France, une oeuvre tombe dans le domaine public 70 ans apr?s la mort de son auteur.

On the gutenberg'site, there are not many French books (but it is sufficient to start records).

There is a French official site (http://gallica.bnf.fr/classique/) who present a great part of books of the public domain in French language.

When I will record some chapters on "Liaisons dangereuses", could i launch a project to record another text ? (collective projet, i would like to be coordinator and reader, perhaps "Madame Bovary" by Gustave Flaubert).

In France, a book go to public domain 70 years after the author's death.

Est-ce que quelqu'un pourrait corriger mes fautes d'Anglais pour rendre mon message comph?hensible pour tous ?
Christine
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Hope you won't mind an answer in English.

Copyright laws vary from country to country. It's true that in France, and the rest of the EU, current law says that copyright runs out 70 years after the author's death.

However, at LibriVox we are bound by the laws of the United States of America, simply because the LibriVox server is located there. In the USA, copyright has nothing to do with the author's death, but rather with the first publication date. If this is before 1923, then the text is in the public domain.

We do use other Gutenberg sites - there are projects in a lot of other countries - but when we do, we always need to be careful only to record those texts whose publication date was prior to 1923. Then we abide by US laws.

In future, perhaps we will have LibriVox servers in other countries, which would enable us to record different things - but this would also mean splitting up the catalogue. It's certainly not something that's discussed at the moment - we have so many books, in so many languages, yet left to read which were published before 1923! :)

Hope this helps. It's a complicated issue. If you have any questions, please ask them - also in French - there are lots of people out here, including Hugh, who are much more fluent in French than I am... :)
Last edited by Gesine on January 28th, 2006, 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Kitoune wrote:When I will record some chapters on "Liaisons dangereuses", could i launch a project to record another text ? (collective projet, i would like to be coordinator and reader, perhaps "Madame Bovary" by Gustave Flaubert).
Sorry, missed that. Yes, Christine, please do start another French collaborative project, if you like. Just make sure the book was published before 1923, as outlined above. Madame Bovary would be splendid! Please also read this about book coordination: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6332#6447, and perhaps these sections in the FAQ: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=882 (if you haven't already done so)

Any questions about coordinating a foreign-language book, please get back to me, I'd be happy to help. :)
Last edited by Gesine on January 28th, 2006, 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Jon Ingram

Post by Jon Ingram »

You're a year off, I'm afraid -- the book has to be published before 1923, not 1924 (a shame, as there were lots of interesting books published in 1923!).
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Oops, thanks Jon - have corrected it in my posts.
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

hi christine,

gutenberg actually does have a pretty good collection in french:
http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/languages/fr

but if you have a book you would like to do that is not on this list, please let me know and I will submit the book to project gutenberg for copyright clearance.

as gesine says, it needs to be public domain in the US for us to be able to host the files.

about starting a new project, that is a good idea, but note that we have very few francophones yet involved in LibriVox - i keep trying to convince my quebecois friends, and have had no takers - so we need to try to promote the project more in francophone countries.

Hugh.
Knulp

Post by Knulp »

Hello
Oui, vraiment quelques lectures en fran?ais, ?a serait bien !

Alors merci.
kri

Post by kri »

kitoune wrote:Est-ce que quelqu'un pourrait corriger mes fautes d'Anglais pour rendre mon message comph?hensible pour tous ?
It's pretty correct and easily comprehensible, but I'll correct for you anyways. I know it helps me to improve my language skills. The bold are changes.

On the gutenberg'site, there are not many French books (but it is sufficient to start records).

There is an official French site (http://gallica.bnf.fr/classique/) which presents a great many books in the public domain in the French language.

While I'm recording some chapters on "Liaisons dangereuses", could i launch a project to record another text ? (collective project, i would like to be coordinator and reader, perhaps "Madame Bovary" by Gustave Flaubert).

In France, a book goes to the public domain 70 years after the author's death.
Kitoune

Post by Kitoune »

Oh !! Merci beaucoup Kri !! C'est vraiment gentil d'avoir pris le temps de corriger mes fautes ! Je ne me souvenais plus qu'il fallait un s ? la troisi?me personne du singulier au pr?sent simple... :lol:

Thanks !!
Christine