PSAs and Librivox Info Clubs

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Cheref

Post by Cheref »

While waiting for my mic to come in and browsing the forums, I can't help thinking of how to spread the word of LV and PG.

Public Service Annoucements
Using the talent of local colleges and PR clubs, I think I can get a few PSAs that can be distributed to TV/Radio stations and run as PSAs.

Print PSAs could be distributed to related industries (see clubs below).

It makes sense to promote both PG and LV in the same PSA - would anyone have concerns with the combo? Or with the distribution of a final PSA product?

LibriVox Local Clubs

Start small with one LibriVox Club locally whose mission it is to simply explain and demonstrate "how to*" PG and LV at public gatherings.

Focus on the closely related areas such as
- books: bookstores, libraries,
- voice: singing groups (barbershop choruses, church choruses, G&S clubs, etc.)
- spoken word: theater groups, dramatic readings, poetry slams, etc.
- other word related gatherings
- community festivals - just for general info and fun

Any concerns come to mind?

These won't happen overnight - I'd like to hear any concerns/issues that need to be addressed before starting. It is impossible to determine all issues beforehand but one should try.

LibriVox is a lovely, supportive community generously trying to share their love of the written/spoken word - I'd hate to do anything to rock the boat.

How to* - how to be a reader, how to be a listener, how to download audacity and set those dang settings, how to submit recordings - I know it is all really simple once you've done a few, but the hurdle of the first few can be enormous! Especially for those a bit nervous about computers...
Chere
kri

Post by kri »

Hey, your idea sounds great, and I can't see anything in there that would be a problem. Of course this all relies on people to take the initiative and get these sorts of things going in their area. We encourage people to publicize LibriVox in any (legal and respectful) way they choose.
erichamion

Post by erichamion »

If you're planning this, be sure to check out this wiki page for some useful tools. They're all very well-done. I, personally, really like Gord MacKenzie's audio promo.
Eric
Cheref

Post by Cheref »

Yep, Kri. I totally understand that I'll need to ride this horse if I want it to run the race. It seems only fair, yes?
I'll keep posting my progress with hopes that the seasoned LV participants will chime in if they see me going astray.

IF BY CHANCE, any seasoned LV member is in the Orlando FL area, I'd really appreciate being able to lean on your technical/experience if I hold a LV DEMO night at a library/bookshop/etc. Otherwise, I'll just wait until my comfort level is sufficient to begin the demos.

Until then, here is the email I'll be sending out to find a PSA source:

PSA request for Project Gutenberg and LibriVox

I am looking for guidance in creating PSAs designed to 1)increase public awareness and 2)recruit volunteers for two fledgling worldwide projects that are working hand-in-hand to promote literacy.

Project Gutenberg is the first and largest single collection of free electronic books, or eBooks. Michael Hart, founder of Project Gutenberg, invented eBooks in 1971 and continues to inspire the creation of eBooks and related technologies today. The Project Gutenberg Mission Statement is simple: to encourage the creation and distribution of eBooks.

LibriVox, started by Hugh McGuire just since August of 2005, has a mission to make all books in the public domain available, for free, in audio format on the internet.

All free. All through volunteers.

Both organizations are amazing but the startup kinks are ironed out and it is time to push the envelope.
With National PSAs, both organizations could be further energized through greater public awareness/use and fueled to offering more selections if there were more volunteers.

Is there any chance <organization name> would be up to the challenge of being the first to produce PSAs for these revolutionary literacy efforts?

<link PG and LV websites where organization name is shown>
Anything amiss? Anything feel "funny"? Suggestions for snazzier wording?
All comments are welcomed - as long as you are not hurt by what I finally pick to use.
:)
Last edited by Cheref on October 17th, 2007, 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chere
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Sounds good to me. :thumbs:

Esther in the Great White North. :wink:
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Cheref

Post by Cheref »

One question that always comes up.

For an organization to adopt a PSA project, they will be hoping to make a difference.
They don't know if they have made a difference if there is no way to measure before vs. after.
Our PSAs will become part of the providers contest entries with hopes of winning an award.

A critical measure of PSA performance is "what changed after your PSAs were aired?".

Is there an "easy" way to chart these 2 areas since LV began (8/2007):
1. #Downloads of LV materials by month/year (or better - day/month/year?)
2. #new registrations to LV by month/year (or better - day/month/year?)

This would give the providers a powerful tool to compare estimated projections of downloads and registrations against the impact of PSA fueled downloads and registrations.

Rather than comparing just registrations, if it isn't too hard, it would be even more powerful if there was a way to measure actual participation/volunteer counts by month/year (or better - day/month/year)
(This would replace #2)

And, if anyone knows, would PG have similar information to share if PSAs were generated that included promotional materials for PG?

I think you can see where I am going with this, but if I've just confused everyone, please let me know.
Chere
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

There is some stats Earthcalling is working on in the admin thread. You could PM him and get the info. Also on the catalogue advanced search, you can see the books completed each month.

THIS is the search for October.

Esther
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
kayray

Post by kayray »

Hey Cheref, I just wanted to pop in and give you my support and thank you for understanding the Spirit of LibriVox :) Good luck!
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)