LibriVox Music Theme

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Arjun

Post by Arjun » February 13th, 2006, 11:26 am

Hello,

I am new to LibriVox. The idea of including music is excellent. If you heard "Peter and the Wolf" then you know it can be really effective for certain genera. Rick Wakeman's take on Jules Verne's "Journey to the centre of the Earth" is just as ambitious. In other words, adding music could breathe new life into the semiotic process between text and audience.

Question though: would any original contributions (of music that may not be in the public domain) be protected under copyright law? Musical compositions are protected through ASCAP in the USA, and I am sure that it has its match in Canada, Europe, and elswhere.

Anyway, if anyone needs help in this area: I have software, equipment, editing background, and interest to help with projects using text and music :)

Brad, I like the different versions of the musical themes, and will be looking out for the jazz rendition as well.

kayray
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kayray » February 13th, 2006, 11:29 am

Arjun,

Brad's little themes are an exception to our general rule of No Added Music, Please. See our FAQ:
May I add incidental music to my recordings?
Please don't. It adds yet another complication for our hard-working book coordinators if they have to verify copyright status of added music.
Brad composed and recorded his themes, AND released them to us in the public domain AND we all know what they sound like -- so when we hear them, we don't get panicky.

Please, please, no other music :)

Kara
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)

thistlechick

Post by thistlechick » February 13th, 2006, 11:50 am

kayray wrote: Please, please, no other music :)
Oops... I've directed readers interested in including music to the public domain music included in the Project Gutenberg catalog here: http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/categories/3

gToon is using a small selection in his intros and outros of The Good Soldier http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1220

We will include a link to the public domain music selection in the catalog record for this item.
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!

Arjun

Post by Arjun » February 14th, 2006, 11:11 am

May I add incidental music to my recordings?
Please don't. It adds yet another complication for our hard-working book coordinators if they have to verify copyright status of added music.

Thanks for clarifying that, Kara.

I should have read through the FAQs, but I did not realize that the responses also contain policy-type information. I was going to look for a page on your policies anyway.

I can definitely see copyright issue as a deterrent even if the musical compositions are registered with ASCAP and similar organizations. Since 1978, even the orally transmitted (folkloric) styles aree protected.

The nice thing about technology is that music and effects can be added retroactively some time in the future as needed. :-)

-- Arjun